New York-Hudson Valley

Masions/Historic Sites

Hello, I am looking for an elegant mansion or historic site for a smallish wedding reception (100 people). We don't want to be at a mansion or historic site in a tent on the lawn. We're looking for a place where we can actually use the interior for the reception. It can be anyplace in the Hudson Valley, Westchester, Northern NJ or even NYC if it's really nice and the price is right. Any suggestions??

Re: Masions/Historic Sites

• edited December 2011
    You have got to check out the colonial terrace in cortlandt manor.  their mansion is beautiful and so are there gardens.  the mansion is from the 1800's and their prices are incredible.  ask for leon.  worth the call
  • MLR3382MLR3382 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Check out Locust Grove in Poughkeepsie...it's beautiful!
  • edited December 2011
    Round Hill House (FEAST) in Washingtonville, NY.
  • edited December 2011
    I went to a wedding several years ago at the Mountainville Manor which may interest you. It's only for smaller weddings and was def on the cheaper side.
  • Meliss5178Meliss5178 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I was in the same boat as you for my search. We were anticipating 100 guests and I wanted an indoor reception, on a Saturday night and to be the only wedding there! Which is SO hard to come across in this area, but we found it! We chose the Rowsley Estate in Scarsdale, NY. It is a 19th century Carriage house and a few years back it was a designer show house so each room was renovated to reflect the time period. Jean Jacques Colonial Caterers is the exclusive caterer for this venue- their food is out of this world! Check out pictures from the estate in my bio. Page me with any questions!
  • edited December 2011
    Try the Tarrytown Estate, Wainwright House, or Whitby Castle.The Castle at Skylands in NJ is another possibility, although their ballroom was a disappointing letdown in my opinion.Oh, you can also try Ramsey Country Club in Ramsey, NJ.
  • edited December 2011
    Oh, just thought of one more!  Wave Hill in the Bronx.  I haven't been there in person, but I've seen so many pictures and it looks gorgeous!  If I were having a smaller wedding, I would have considered it!
  • edited December 2011
    Look at the Reid Castle - part of manhattanville college in Purchase .... it is used for weddings/events - beautiful inside, decorative, etc - outside is a stone castle look - and great for smaller weddings - i think the max was 150 or 165 people.  It has great sitting rooms for cocktail hour and bigger ballroom area for the reception and dinner - you can do the ceremony there as well.  In warmer weather there is a nice covered patio / terrace area for cocktails too.  I couldn't use it becuase I have 200 people... but really nice.  http://www.mville.edu/AboutManhattanville/CateredEvents/Default.aspx
  • edited December 2011
    Check out some of the old mansions in Tarrytown!  There are a bunch.  My fiance and I looked at Tarrytown House, Tappan Hill, and Lyndhurst Mansion when we were looking.  This website has a bunch of places you might be able to call or go check out, too:http://www.hudsonvalley.org/Good luck!
    The Table Has Shoes (and Other Ambiguities)
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Me = lean PCOS;DH = poor morphology (3%)
    3 IUI/TI cycles = BFN
    IVF #1 with ICSI: antagonist protocol = BFFN
    IVF #2 with ICSI : Lupron downregulation = BFFN...FML
    IVF #3 with ICSI and AH (Antagonist) = IT'S A BOY!!!!

dumbledore

BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Check out C.V. Rich Mansion in White Plains.  Also Wainwright House in Rye is beautiful and right on the water.HTH!!
  • edited December 2011
    Check out Greentree in New Rochelle. It is a beautiful mansion on the water. It's one of the only venues on that strip that has not been renovated to look more "modern". Also, there is a place in Briarcliff Manor that used to be called Maison Lafitte, not sure what it's called now, but my cousin had a huge sweet 16 party there and I remember thinking what a beautiful mansion it was. Definitely worth looking into!
  • jhow213jhow213 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Chateau Hathorn in Warwick, NY
    image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    James House Mansion in Tarrytown.  I haven't seen it yet but they have great pics on their website.  I have talked with the women who rents it out, Kathy, she is very helpful and offers great suggestions to help with what you want.  The price is also very reasonable, I'm planning a fall 2011 wedding and it would cost $1900 to get the whole mansion to myself, they have caters they work with who provide you with tables and chairs.  They have banquet area with fireplaces, a patio to use as you please, and upstairs is an area for the bridal party with a balcony that can be used as well.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards