Snarky Brides

Droid vs iPhone?

This might be a P&R since lunch is almost over, but, anyone want to talk up their phone choice?

In a couple weeks I am upgrading to a smartphone. Basically, I want it for the Internet and to get the Square app (the one that lets you accept credit cards from your phone, so I can take cards at my booths. I'm tired of doing cash only).

My dad insists on getting a Driod, a friend said the iPhone 4S is the way to go. I have never had a smartphone, or a phone with any capabilities other than texting, so I don't know what's best to choose.

Thoughts? Tips?

Re: Droid vs iPhone?

• I just got a droid.  I'm not help other than saying that my choice was based on the size of the phone, that I could get the apps I wanted, and the hot guy at the phone store recommended this droid over the spendier i-phone.
  • Ranchers, what does Siri mean? (see, I'm clueless)

I'm so behind on technology. Oh, and if it matters, I have AT&T phone plan.
  • I have a Droid with Verizon.  I love the service, but I'm kind of eh about the smart phone capabilities of the Droid.  I don't LOVE it like I know people love their iPhone.  Sometimes it does weird things, like take screenshots when it should be shutting down.  And internet loading is iffy sometimes even when I'm in a good service area.
  • Anna, phone size is one thing I'm concerned about. The iPhone seems massive and I can't carry it in my pocket like I can my phone now. Ultimately it's not that big a deal if it ends up being the better choice, but it's still annoying.
  • Have you checked the reviews on that app on the iphone vs. droid?  I like my droid, but the iphone seems to get better apps sooner.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    "Halloween may have loose women scantily clad...
    But Christmas has a pregnant virgin.

Way cooler." - anna.oskar
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_droid-vs-iphone?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:7b5e1c1e-075d-4c90-a04d-c85e354198e2Post:2ade6ca6-81f5-4972-8a19-831eb5916adc">Re: Droid vs iPhone?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Anna, phone size is one thing I'm concerned about. The iPhone seems massive and I can't carry it in my pocket like I can my phone now. Ultimately it's not that big a deal if it ends up being the better choice, but it's still annoying.
    Posted by Seshat411[/QUOTE]

It's a huge deal for me.  I went with the droid x2.  It's larger than my previous phone, but thinner and still small enough to not be super-bulky in my pocket.  Plus, it's really fun with all the gadgets and such that I have on it.
  • Adamar, I haven't. I will be doing research on that before we go in (H is getting one too, for similiar purposes). The iPhone was suggested by the marketing team I spoke to regarding the app, but that's all I know.

Ranchers, the Siri thing sounds awesome. Perfect for H. And yeah, I don't carry my phone in my back pocket. 've almost lost a few phones that way!
  • H has a droid (samsung galaxy) and hates it.  He's counting down the days until April when he can get an iphone.  It dies after one short conversation, it freezes all the time, he doesn't get texts half the time....

I have a 4S and love it.  I know a lot of people have said their battery dies quickly, but I've never had a problem with the battery and I'm on my phone using data almost all day long.  And as for the physical size, I've carried in my back pocket no problem.  
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • I just upgraded from a regular motorola droid to a droid razr maxx (both on verizon, not at&T) and I severely waffled on the iphone, I am still second guessing myself but my exchange period just expired so here i am. 

The big reason for me getting the droid over the iphone was 4G. my phone is SOOO fast and more powerful than the iphone.  I have more memory, the phone was cheaper, the processor is faster. (plus they were buy one get one free.)
    Mostly I didn't want to commit to a phone for 2 years that will be obsolete in 3 months.

However, I am not sure about the droid selection at At&T.  Frankly if they don't have a really awesome droid phone, then go with the iphone.  I would google comparison options for a few phones that they offer. Android phones can be very hit or miss.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_droid-vs-iphone?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:7b5e1c1e-075d-4c90-a04d-c85e354198e2Post:0ac67cfc-7758-4922-a15b-ad1a930ce6f7">Re: Droid vs iPhone?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Adamar, I haven't. I will be doing research on that before we go in (H is getting one too, for similiar purposes). The iPhone was suggested by the marketing team I spoke to regarding the app, but that's all I know. Ranchers, the Siri thing sounds awesome. Perfect for H. And yeah, I don't carry my phone in my back pocket. 've almost lost a few phones that way!
    Posted by Seshat411[/QUOTE]

<div>I don't have either, but FI and his partners use the Square app when they do conventions.  One of the guys has a Droid and it works just fine.  I think it didn't used to in the past, but they've made some updates on it.</div>
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • I have a Droid X,  and I like it. That being said, when I am up for a discounted phone in April, I think I am getting an iPhone. My mom has one and the keyboard is so much easier to use. On my Droid, the touchscreen is a pain to type on and I wind up pressing the wrong key. Anna has the newer version of my phone so she could tell you if is better than mine.

I just have this awful feeling that as soon as I get a 4s, the iPhone 5 will come out. The rumor is that it will be out in the fall.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I have an Android Samsung Infuse. I love it. I sold my iPhone 4 to buy this. I like that the android system is more customizable. I can have live wallpapers, which amuses me. I also like the widgets, which are larger versions of an app that I can have on my main screen. I don't have to open my email to see who it's from because the widget shows me. I also like that I can post right from my home screen to facebook or google+ without actually having to open the app. It's the same with the weather and other information apps. The info displays right on my home screen.

This will explain it better.
    Droid Widgets

Iphone apps

20130105_202820-1_zps07580b43 Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Shay, H had a Samsung Galaxy and he hated it too. He had so many problems with that phone. It would just randomly turn off while he was in the middle of a phone call and he had the same problem with not getting texts or even phone calls. 

I have an iphone 4 and I love it. H now has a newer Samsung Galaxy (our provider gave him a newer version because of all the issues with the old one) and I don't like it as much as my iphone but H doesn't really have any complaints about it. 

If you own a mac computer I would choose the iphone over a droid just for synching purposes. Another thing to consider is if your H is going to get a smartphone and you both have iphones you can synch to each others phones so you have the same calender and music etc. So if you put an appointment in your calendar in would show up on his phone too. 

• I worry about the upgrading thing too, alli. Apple seems to come out with a new damn iPhone all the time, and since I've never had one, I don't know how that affects older versions of the phones.

I really won't be using it for more than what I mentioned above (and maybe some minor playing around when bored), but H will be using his more extensively.
  • edited February 2012
    I have an iPhone 4 and like it. I've never had any issues with battery life. I think I use it a decent amount during the day too- Calling, texting, music at the gym, apps, ect. But I do charge it fully every night.

I actually dropped my iPhone 4 without a cover (it slipped out of my purse) through the bleachers at a football game. I was about 15 feet up and there was concerete below. I didn't even want to see the phone- thought it would be shattered. And, Not. Even. A. Scratch!!! Although, I've heard people having issues with the screen cracking. I must have gotten the world's most durable iPhone.

My friend and FI have a droid- not sure what model, and both complain about the battery life.

Edit: My droid friend also complains about the phone freezing up in the middle of a phone call. She can't even turn it off for like five minutes. Then she has to reboot it.

Anxiously awaiting baby #1! Baby BOY Due: May 30, 2013! Lilypie Maternity tickers

• The Droid Razr is supposed to have amazing battery life, which is a huge bonus. Smartphones use up battery like crazy.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • H and I have Evos.  We are very happy with them.

The nice thing about droids is most apps are free.  Most iphone apps charge somethinig (of course, usually it's $0.99-2.99, so not a huge deal).

I have an iPad, and I like it but don't love it enough to consider going with an iPhone.
  • Oh, that's interesting, reils. H has a mac, not used a lot but if he had a reason to, I guess it would be used more. And I do like the synching concept.
  • I have an iPhone.  I'm basically "eh" about smartphones.

I dropped my iPhone facedown on the concrete two weeks after I got it.  Screen shattered.  Apple, why did you make your phones out of glass?  Oh yes - so people who dropped them would go back in your store and put down $200 for another one.  Every other cell phone I've ever had has been durable but the iPhone must be treated with white gloves and cotton.  Buy a case (for another $50) so that you don't break something that was designed to be walked around with. 

I'm cynical.  Sorry.  :-)
  • Also keep in mind that AT&T will allow you to put insurance on your droid for around $5 a month. Apple will charge you $100 for the apple care but I don't know if it covers breakage. The insurance charges you a deductible, usually around $100, if you need a replacement. You can make two claims a year for replacements. I am not sure if Apple offers any kind on insurance. I know I am clumsy with phones and break things easily so my droid is covered. I haven't used it yet with this phone, but I have used it in the past. AT&T will not allow you to cover the iPhone with their insurance.
    20130105_202820-1_zps07580b43 Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • I *think* the app I want is free, but I can't be sure.I 'm not too concerned with other apps since I don't plan on using many of them.

Joy, I overheard someone at work saying that she got some kind of case with a lifetime warranty, so if she drops the phone and it breaks, she gets a free one. If what she said is true, then we'd get that since H drops his phone 150 times a day.  
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_droid-vs-iphone?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:7b5e1c1e-075d-4c90-a04d-c85e354198e2Post:b542e9b6-6bbc-4018-ba67-ec69b5d159ce">Re: Droid vs iPhone?</a>:
    [QUOTE]H and I have Evos.  We are very happy with them. The nice thing about droids is most apps are free.  <strong>Most iphone apps charge somethinig (of course, usually it's $0.99-2.99, so not a huge deal)</strong>. I have an iPad, and I like it but don't love it enough to consider going with an iPhone.
    Posted by mica178[/QUOTE]
    This. Also with a Droid, GPS is free. If you want to use GPS on an iPhone it's like $10/month. You can also get free music on droid. We both had iPhones and sold them within 3 months because we hated them so much. <div>
    </div><div>I have the LG Revolution and Michael has the HTC Thunderbolt. We don't have any complaints with either other than the battery on smartphones seems to die a lot quicker (plus we both use our phones a ton) We've both bought the extended battery (for like $20) and they will easily last all day. </div>
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Oh and I was very anti getting a smartphone because I really didn't think I'd use it. I use it all the time, you might be surprised how handy they are :)
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I have the LG Ally with Verizon.  I picked it mostly because it has a physical qwerty keyboard, which I like better than the "touch" keyboards.  It was ok at first, but after now I HATE it.  I want to throw it against the wall on a daily basis.  It's slow, it doesn't always open things on the first try, and it tells me that my storage is full when I KNOW it's not, so sometimes I don't get incoming text messages (which is a huge deal since I can't hear to use the phone, so texting is how I communicate with everyone).

I posted something about the above problems on FB, and one of my techie friends posted this:

"A big part of the problem is fragmentation of the Android platform -- only 0.6% of Android phones were on Android 4.0 (the latest) within 30 days of its release, versus nearly 50% of iPhones that had already been updated to iOS 5.0 within 30 days of its release. This keeps the bug fixes rolling in and the OS platform closely consistent on most iOS devices...whereas on Android, a majority of phones are still running a version of the OS that was released 3 years ago. The main fault of that lies with the carriers and manufacturers, because with Android they're responsible for rolling out those updates (Google doesn't release the update directly to consumers like Apple does)...but they don't have much of an infrastructure in place to make that happen quickly, having never really done it before. Motorola, HTC, Samsung, etc are, in their dim and shortsighted way, not motivated to roll these updates out to you because they want you to buy new phones...that's where they make money. Apple, conversely, pushes software updates harder than any company in history because it wants people to enjoy the whole experience, buy into the whole ecosystem (since Apple makes money on the apps too), and then come back for more since you had such a great experience."
  • You can also get an outside insurance plan that isn't through apple or the phone company.  It's way cheaper and they just send you a check for a new phone if something happens to yours.
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • My vote is for Droid too. 

I have the HTC Incredible 2 and J has the HTC Thunderbolt.  Both are fabulous and as far as syching goes, we can do that through Google.  So if we have a grocery list that I'm picking up after work and J notices that we need, say Milk, he adds it to the list and it syches with mine automatically.  It's neato.

Also, as far as battery life, mine can go for about two days without a charge.  I usually just plug it in before bed and it charges overnight. 

I think the biggest thing for me though was cost.  My Incredible 2 was free and J's Thunderbolt was as well.  I don't understand why people would pay for a phone when you're already shelling so much out for your monthly contract.  As often as Apple releases new versions too I wouldn't pay for the phone.  My HTC has updates that keep it current and running well so I don't have to worry about buying another until I'm eligible for an upgrade.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_droid-vs-iphone?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:7b5e1c1e-075d-4c90-a04d-c85e354198e2Post:774fcbb9-f7fc-47b1-8fe4-916ab84a625e">Re: Droid vs iPhone?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Droid vs iPhone? : What GPS charges $10/month? I use the Maps button on my phone for GPS so I'm confused.
    Posted by rachers1017[/QUOTE]
    I'm not sure, I'll have to ask Michael, I don't really use the GPS at all, but he uses it everyday and we had to pay extra for it. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'm also biased because I absolutely hate Apple and doubt I'll ever give them any more of my money. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • To add: H has a HTC Incredible and has never had any issues with it.  He loves it and is currently debating whether he wants to get the Incredible 2, or an iPhone when we are eligible for upgrades in July. He will probably only get an iPhone if I get one too, because then we could use FaceTime or whatever it's called to "call" each other rather than just texting all the time. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_droid-vs-iphone?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:7b5e1c1e-075d-4c90-a04d-c85e354198e2Post:774fcbb9-f7fc-47b1-8fe4-916ab84a625e">Re: Droid vs iPhone?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Droid vs iPhone? : What GPS charges $10/month? I use the Maps button on my phone for GPS so I'm confused.
    Posted by rachers1017[/QUOTE]
    I'm pretty sure a GPS app is about $10 a month. But if you use the Maps app on the phone, it's free. I've always used the Map app and I've always gotten to where I wanted to go.

Anxiously awaiting baby #1! Baby BOY Due: May 30, 2013! Lilypie Maternity tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards