Chit Chat

Help with Outfit Please.....

HELP! I'm a size 16 and all my weight is pretty much in my belly .... I'm trying to find a dress that is sexy YET somewhat conservative for my shower AND the real icing on the cake --- doesn't make me look pregnant!!!! Everything I try on is making me look pregnant!??!?! Ugh! And for the record no I'm not pregnant! I have a little bit of time as my shower isn't until April 21st but I also need a dress for the weekend before for my soon to be sister in law's bridal shower with the same specifications. Please help I'll take any suggestions! My price limit per dress is $75.00

thanks so much! :)))
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Help with Outfit Please.....

• I know how you feel. I find the best for me is a cross over dress.
  • I don't understand why you want a sexy dress for your shower.

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
  • How do sexy and conservative go into the same sentence?

I would honestly go to your local mall and try on a bunch of different dresses. There are lots of sales going on right now for last seasons styles (at least at our mall there are). Without having an actual image of you, its hard to suggest certain dresses because they'll all fall differently.

Good luck.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I agree with the PP; you're not going to get "sexy YET conservative". Be mindful of what you're dressing for - is it a dress to suit your body or a dress to get someone's attention? Sexy appeal should probably be left at home for events like your shower and your FSIL's shower. You'll get enough attention being the soon-to-be Bride and the soon-to-be SIL at the other shower.

I would do a basic dress and "sex" it up with shoes, hair or doing your make up different than you normally would. Less is more, so don't get carried away.You'll shine regardless!

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_outfit-please?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:83e44221-9917-453d-aeb9-2fee10e2cf63Post:6ea20df1-43f4-4835-85a5-d2a428d49ebf">Re: Help with Outfit Please.....</a>:
    [QUOTE]I agree with the PP; you're not going to get "sexy YET conservative". Be mindful of what you're dressing for - is it a dress to suit your body or a dress to get someone's attention? Sexy appeal should probably be left at home for events like your shower and your FSIL's shower. You'll get enough attention being the soon-to-be Bride and the soon-to-be SIL at the other shower. I would do a basic dress and <strong>"sex" it up </strong>with shoes, hair or doing your make up different than you normally would. Less is more, so don't get carried away.You'll shine regardless!
    Posted by LeenieLane[/QUOTE]

<div>I'm sorry, but I think for showers "sex appeal" should be curbed. Just go and look nice I think that's your best bet.</div>
  • I don't know that "sexy" is the first thing that pops into my mind when I think of a bridal shower.

Just try on a bunch of stuff and see what you feel good in.

Anniversary
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_outfit-please?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:14Discussion:83e44221-9917-453d-aeb9-2fee10e2cf63Post:11325b51-f77f-470c-a1f5-ec01e63ddb48">Re: Help with Outfit Please.....</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Help with Outfit Please..... : I'm sorry, but I think for showers "sex appeal" should be curbed. Just go and look nice I think that's your best bet.
    Posted by crash2729[/QUOTE]

Agreed.
  • Wow....  I wasn't talking sexy like let's look like a slut. Damn some of you ladies are really opinionated. I was talking sexy as in something like age appropriate that I didn't look like a 92 year old grandmother. Guess I should have put that in there. ALSO I don't mean conservative like 19 Kids and Counting either... I just mean something shower appropriate that is also girly, figure flattering, and makes me feel good. I don't usually do dresses. I'll get help somewhere else though. 

Thanks for making me feel like crap! Wish some of you people would be a bit nicer.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_outfit-please?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:83e44221-9917-453d-aeb9-2fee10e2cf63Post:7ed31ec2-641d-4bff-be33-9841571eb20d">Re: Help with Outfit Please.....</a>:
    [QUOTE]Wow....  I wasn't talking sexy like let's look like a slut. Damn some of you ladies are really opinionated. I was talking sexy as in something like age appropriate that I didn't look like a 92 year old grandmother. Guess I should have put that in there. ALSO I don't mean conservative like 19 Kids and Counting either... I just mean something shower appropriate that is also girly, figure flattering, and makes me feel good. I don't usually do dresses. I'll get help somewhere else though.  Thanks for making me feel like crap! Wish some of you people would be a bit nicer.
    Posted by mrandmrsrobert[/QUOTE]

Seriously?
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_outfit-please?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:14Discussion:83e44221-9917-453d-aeb9-2fee10e2cf63Post:7ed31ec2-641d-4bff-be33-9841571eb20d">Re: Help with Outfit Please.....</a>:
    [QUOTE]Wow....  I wasn't talking sexy like let's look like a slut. Damn some of you ladies are really opinionated. I was talking sexy as in something like age appropriate that I didn't look like a 92 year old grandmother. Guess I should have put that in there. ALSO I don't mean conservative like 19 Kids and Counting either... I just mean something shower appropriate that is also girly, figure flattering, and makes me feel good. I don't usually do dresses. I'll get help somewhere else though.  Thanks for making me feel like crap! Wish some of you people would be a bit nicer.
    Posted by mrandmrsrobert[/QUOTE]

I usually lean more to the sensitive side and read too far in to things, but nothing said here would have offended me. I think you're being a little too sensitive. No one's response was intended to make you feel like crap. We are giving advice based on the question at hand. You asked for "sexy YET conservative" suggestions. We suggested you nix the sexy part.

Find a solid pattern dress and add accessories or wear fun shoes. Maybe a better word you're looking for is feminine? No one can tell you what you'll feel good in. You have to be the judge of that. Confidence is sexy, so be confident in what you wear and you're all set.

Yikes.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_outfit-please?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:83e44221-9917-453d-aeb9-2fee10e2cf63Post:d28d6dfb-c189-46a0-a7f5-003e28820a27">Re: Help with Outfit Please.....</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Help with Outfit Please..... : nothing said here would have offended me. I think you're being a little too sensitive. No one's response was intended to make you feel like crap.
    Posted by LeenieLane[/QUOTE]

I agree. Although I wasn't one of the original posters, nothing that was said by the other ladies was mean or opinionated at all.

As for your dress issue, without us knowing what you look like, or what certain types of dresses look like on you, we really can't give any advice. Like PPs said, just go to the mall and try on a whole bunch of dresses and go from there. You're bound to find one thing that you feel comfortable in.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_outfit-please?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:14Discussion:83e44221-9917-453d-aeb9-2fee10e2cf63Post:b5595489-61ca-41e1-847f-7fe958254dbc">Re: Help with Outfit Please.....</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Help with Outfit Please..... : Go buy a dictionary.  <strong>It's really hard to answer questions when you assign your own definitions to words.</strong>   That's a bit of an over the top reaction, isn't it?
    Posted by LingerLonger1[/QUOTE]

Couldn't agree more!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_outfit-please?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:83e44221-9917-453d-aeb9-2fee10e2cf63Post:b5595489-61ca-41e1-847f-7fe958254dbc">Re: Help with Outfit Please.....</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Help with Outfit Please..... : Go buy a dictionary.  It's really hard to answer questions when you assign your own definitions to words.   That's a bit of an over the top reaction, isn't it?
    Posted by LingerLonger1[/QUOTE]
    Exactly. When I think "Sexy" I think club clothes. 

However, I consider myself to be a conservative dresser, but I'm not 19 kids and counting material.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards