Missouri-St Louis

9th St Abbey in Soulard or similar venues

I really liked the idea of the Jewel Box in Forest Park as a ceremony site, but after seeing the Abbey, we're thinking having ceremoney and reception there would be easy. 

Has anyone gotten married...or is getting married...at the Abbey? Would love to hear your opinions on things that are hard to get a sense of on the tour: working with the staff, lighting at night, food, acoustics since the ceilings are so high, # of people that really fit comfortably in the garden, and if you could negotiate on the price at all.

If anyone has other suggestions similar to the uniqueness of the Abbey, would love to hear them

Re: 9th St Abbey in Soulard or similar venues

• edited December 2011

We got married and had our reception at the Abbey, and I can not praise them enough.  Our guests loved having everything in one place (and so did we).  The patio was beautiful, and easily accomodated our 150 guests.  Amazing food.  We went with a buffet since people are usually still hungry after a plated meal--we had guests go back for thirds :)  And the staff was beyond professional.  It was like having several day-of-coordinators.  Two recommendations:  the mashed potato bar and the gourmet coffee bar.  Have an abundance of yummy food, lots of dessert options, lots of caffeine, plenty of booze, and you can't go wrong.

As far as acoustics, I don't remember that being as issue.  We had a 6 p.m. late fall wedding, so we had the light from the sunset during the ceremony, all the twinkle lights outside on the patio, and plenty of soft light plus candlelight everywhere (I wanted candles everywhere) during the reception.  It was very soft and romantic.  All the finances were handled by my father, so I can't advise about negotiating price, but I can advise that every other aspect was perfect.

Best of luck planning.  The Abbey was the best choice for us, but if you go with your gut instinct, you can't go wrong.

"The only true currency in this bankrupt world... is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." -Lester Banks, Almost Famous
  • edited December 2011
    thank you so much for the detailed response.  that's so reassuring. abbey's on the short list...so we'll see!
  • edited December 2011
    We looked at them, they are very very expensive but awesome venue.
  • jlk0219jlk0219 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I went to a reception there and it was gorgeous.  The food was really, really good too- they had a seated dinner and there was definitely enough food.  My favorite part was all of the candlelight reflecting through the stained glass windows- so romantic!
  • edited December 2011
    so itssnay, abbey seems to be on par for price than a number of other venues right near the city. curious where you looked that was cheaper but still had some uniqueness or charm to it. the only cheaper place i could find was lemp mansion, but not crazy about it.
  • rellachelrellachel member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I booked the Abbey for my June 30, 2012 wedding.  We are having the ceremony in the garden and our reception on the rooftop deck.  I couldn't be more excited.  When we went to tour the Abbey I knew from the moment we walked into the outside area that we had found our venue. :)
  • edited December 2011
    I am having my reception there - my wedding isn't until July 7, 2012, but so far the staff has been great. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards