Ohio-Columbus

Grange Audubon/Upper Arlington Barn

Hi! I'm newly engaged and planning a May 2013 wedding. I've tried to get ahold of both Grange Audubon and the barn in Upper Arlington for wedding reception sites; however, I haven't received any response. Does anyone have any information/pricing on these sites? I'm looking to host around 200 for the reception. I realize this might be a large group for these sites, but I was hoping we could use the outside to fit everyone. I think I saw some pictures of a reception in a tent on the lawn at Grange. We would also like flexibility for BYO alcohol/caterer. Any info would be great! 

Re: Grange Audubon/Upper Arlington Barn

• We just popped in the Audobon center one day.  The people there were super friendly and helpful and gave us an quick tour.  I don't rememer pricing off the top of my head though...
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Amelita Mirola Barn has information available on the Upper Arlington parks and rec website.  It is $185/hour for Saturdays for non-residents.  You need to use a caterer from their list, or have your caterer sign a contract with them.  They have some great caterers on the list, and they will bartend with you providing alcohol.  It's a fantastic facility -- perfect mix of rustic barn with modern amenities.  They have a great sound system and built-in audio-visual.   The kitchen is fantastic.  They have outdoor patio areas that will accomodate more guests, but the internal seating limit is 140 for banquets.  Send an e-mail to the website, and they'll set up a tour.  I found them very quick to respond.
  • I just walked into Grange Audubon on a Saturday morning since I could not get a hold of anyone there either. They can provide you with a packet of info. All I remember off the top of my head is that it was very expensive to rent (~$2500), and you have to go through a specific caterer. If you want an outdoor area, it was an additional rental fee too. They also make you pay a membership fee before you can rent the facility. All the restrictions turned me off, but it is a beautiful location and a great view of downtown.
  • angelm2angelm2 member
    First Comment
    edited March 2012
    I've booked Grange for July 20th, 2013- the person you want to get into contact with is Sarah Selhorst. Her e-mail is:sarah@massappealdining. Prices depend on the day of the week and the season. They also depend on what areas of the Center you want to use. They don't have a whole lot of restrictions; the only one I can really think of off the top of my head is that any candles have to be floating/in water. I wasn't asked to pay a membership fee and they have 11 approved caterers (Mass Appeal, Berwicke Manor, City Barbeque, Weiland's Market, Cameron Mitchell, among others). So far, communication with Sarah has been fantastic and she is VERY accomodating. Oh, and the Grange is BYOB!
  • I PM'd you with a question angelm2
  • I forgot to mention this past January they told me they recently changed all their policies on wedding receptions. Angelm2, maybe you booked before these changes?

• Or maybe they gave me old information. Not sure..
  • I booked after the changes. I met with her as they were finalizing. I'll message you back with more info!
  • <div>How many people are you having at your wedding?  Do you know what the capacity restraints are?</div><div>
    </div><div>
    </div><div>
    </div>In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_ohio-columbus_grange-audubonupper-arlington-barn?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:112Discussion:a4658552-6ccf-490c-9716-3d077d2f5e50Post:e9b6271d-9e71-4e3d-9594-65723679eb34">Re: Grange Audubon/Upper Arlington Barn</a>:
    [QUOTE]I've booked Grange for July 20th, 2013- the person you want to get into contact with is Sarah Selhorst. Her e-mail is:sarah@massappealdining. Prices depend on the day of the week and the season. They also depend on what areas of the Center you want to use. They don't have a whole lot of restrictions; the only one I can really think of off the top of my head is that any candles have to be floating/in water. I wasn't asked to pay a membership fee and they have 11 approved caterers (Mass Appeal, Berwicke Manor, City Barbeque, Weiland's Market, Cameron Mitchell, among others). So far, communication with Sarah has been fantastic and she is VERY accomodating. Oh, and the Grange is BYOB!
    Posted by angelm2[/QUOTE]
  • edited July 2012
    I don't post on here often at all but thought my experience with the Audubon so far may be important for other brides to know. We booked the Audubon last fall for our August 2012 wedding. At the time, the Audubon was handling the renting of their space themselves and I was told that the "multi-purpose room" included the actual room plus the hallway outside and two outdoor decks. Sometime during the winter they hired Mass Appeal Catering to handle their event planning and all their rules changed. Thank goodness I hired a coordinator! While we did have to change a lot of details and the set up of our space is going to be on an extremely tight schedule, I think it will eventually work out (and they did refund us one hour for set up that we had paid for). Just be cautious with this venue! My advice is to have them include in your contract the exact space you are renting very specifically and exactly what time you are able to get into your space (you cannot set up in the hallways or decks until the Audubon is closed to the public at 6PM on a Friday) AND what times your vendors can get in to set up and test equipment (our DJ is not going to be able to test his equipment until 6, as our guests are walking in the door). Negatives I have found: they do make you join the Audubon Society in order to rent the space, you must pay the standard rate for all the hours you will set up and tear down, you have to pay hourly rates for a park ranger to be at your event for security after a specified hour, plus all of the rule changes/forgetting to mention very important pieces of information. I love the space and the fact that it is BYOB, but knowing what I know now, I'm not sure it is worth the hassle at this time. The Audubon was not built as an event venue, as they told me, so they are still going through the learning process of how to rent out the space. Everything seems a bit unorganized. All that being said, now that they have an actual event caterer handling everything, perhaps they have streamlined the process and set very straightforward rules so this does not happen to anyone else. Good luck ladies!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards