Registry and Gift Forum

Experience with Target Registry

Looking for feedback on a registry at Target.  I like a lot of things there and I think it's readily accessible for guests around the country.  My primary concern is that I generally find Target diffcult about returns.

Have you had any great or terrible experiences with them?

Re: Experience with Target Registry

• My experience, including returns, has been perfectly fine. A lot of brides on here will tell you it's an absolute disaster. Many suggest registering at Kohls or Bed Bath and Beyond instead.
    Follow Me (and my wedding!) on Pinterest
    50 in 2012 Reading Challenge: 2 books read
    my read shelf:

Katie Rizzo's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • rlavachrlavach member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    You're always going to find someone with a negative experience for every registry. It does seem that there is a higher percentage from Target. I think that has a lot to do with when they changed the format of their website. Many registries made before the switch were lost & it takes longer for the page to load now. 

I had a Target registry & didn't have any problems with it. It was never mentioned on my bridal shower invites, so no one bought anything from it. I went back with the 15% ( I think) coupon they give you after your married & bought what I wanted. 
  • I've had problems with Target returns in general.   Unless it has changed very recently, they limit the number of returns you can make in a year to 3 or some very low number and that is number of ITEMS you can return in a year.  I love shopping at Target but their return policy has been really awful.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_experience-with-target-registry?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:d493d681-d584-4969-9510-658e93f07abfPost:edb0cebc-1d6e-4c70-be9e-704c1bb5dbdf">Re: Experience with Target Registry</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>You're always going to find someone with a negative experience for every registry.</strong> It does seem that there is a higher percentage from Target. I think that has a lot to do with when they changed the format of their website. Many registries made before the switch were lost & it takes longer for the page to load now.  I had a Target registry & didn't have any problems with it. It was never mentioned on my bridal shower invites, so no one bought anything from it. I went back with the 15% ( I think) coupon they give you after your married & bought what I wanted. 
    Posted by rlavach[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>My thoughts exactly.  I've heard a complaint from almost every store or registry out there.  I, too, personally had issues with a Target registry, but would have gone through them again because they are so accessible and reasonable.  </div><div>
    </div><div>
    </div>
  • I feel like I see a LOT of negative reviews about their registry, so we stayed away. We did BBB and Crate and Barrel.
  • egm900egm900 member
    First Comment
    We didn't use Target because FI's cousin who got married about 6 months ago had major problems returning duplicate items that were shown on her registry (their registry can take a while to update to show purchased items, so she had lots of duplicates).  The store close to us has terrible customer service though, so I'm not sure if it's a Target thing or bad customer service at that particular store.  We went with BB&B instead at her recommendation, apparently they will take almost anything back with no hassle, reasonably priced, and easily accessible to all of our guests.
  • I'm a big proponent of the Amazon universal registry. I only wanted a few things from Target (they have bath stuff in the colors we want!) so we put them on an Amazon registry. Easier than setting up a whole registry for a few things. If you're worried about the Target registry, try that?
  • Having worked at Target long enough in the past to have to deal with angry and confused people over registries, I learned to NOT register there myself.  I'm really into the Amazon registry; honestly, anything BB&B doesn't have that we want we can just add on there.
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • I haven't had any registry issues with Target.  As far as their return policy goes, if you don't have your receipt they'll give you store credit for it...it may not be the what the price of the item currently is, but at least you're getting something for it =)

Like ppl have said, you're always going to have negative feedback from every registry.  I suggest not doing Kohl's because they don't always carry the same products all the time, so it flies out the door quicker...love BB&B!! 
  • I registered at Target and then cancelled it when 4 different people called me last week and told me there was no registry for me there when they went to the store. I felt horrible having those people drive there and go through the stress of having to get help looking for it, only for the managers to say I never registered there! My sister in law registered there for her baby shower and when she went on the website it showed she registered for a bunch of furniture and not baby clothes! Bed, Bath, and Beyond has been amazing and now my entire registry is there.
    Follow Me on Pinterest Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • we registered with Target and found that many items we liked and had registered for were getting discontinued or were not available online, we and many of our guests live more than an hour from a Target store, and I did not want guests traveling to a store with a specific item in mind only to find that it was unavailable.  We ended-up not telling people we were registered at target and finding comparable items to the ones we liked at Kohl's and William-Sonoma. (never found a kitchen trash can or fruit bowl we liked...but I'm over that.)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • A PP was right, Target does limit the amount of returns per year WITHOUT a receipt, which most retailers also do. When you register, as long as an item has been purchased, the registry acts as your receipt.

Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • edited May 2012
    Another thing with Target registries that I just discovered and LOVE is that you can change the quantity of items you received!  I got a lot of items that people bought off my registry but did not give the cashier the registry for and I was able to go in and update this.  It's a blessing!  And since you can do this you should never not have a receipt for an item as you can 'register' for it after you get it, update the quantity and then return it!  Simple I'd say.

I've been frustrated with Target in the past in regards to their updating their site but now that it's been completed I'm loving it!  Most of the things we've registered for is at Target even though it's available at Kohl's as well but it's cheaper at Target.

EDIT:  I also just returned 5 different items (duplicates and off-registry items) to Target and got a merchandise credit for everything with absolutely no hassle.  I had gift receipts for them and have no experience with no receipt returns there as they can now look up your items using the credit card you used.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_experience-with-target-registry?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:d493d681-d584-4969-9510-658e93f07abfPost:46100706-428b-4bb1-b287-ac4dbdd79185">Re: Experience with Target Registry</a>:
    [QUOTE]I've had problems with Target returns in general.   Unless it has changed very recently, they limit the number of returns you can make in a year to 3 or some very low number and that is number of ITEMS you can return in a year.  I love shopping at Target but their return policy has been really awful.
    Posted by skippylouwho[/QUOTE]

<div>That policy is only in effect if you do not have a receipt. I have returned at least 10 items in the last 3 months with receipts and no questions asked.</div>
  • If anyone is still reading this, I'd like to put in my two cents:

I work at a Target in the Toledo, OH area as a guest service team member, and would like to dispell a few "myths" here:
    The idea that you can only return 3 items a year without a receipt is incorrect; the real policy is that you can only do up to $70 worth of no-receipt-returns in a year. For most people, it's not a problem - it's usually a kid's gift that didn't include a gift receipt, and half of the time you are able to get the full amount of the item onto a gift card. If you are returning an expensive item with no receipt, you can only exchange it for either the exact item or one similar (I don't quite remember, I've never actually processed a no-receipt-return with an expensive item).
    Since I've started working at the guest service desk, I've only heard praises about Target's return policies. Guests really like that we can look up their receipts on the card they used and even the checks they used, and the transaction is complete in less than two minutes.

If you create a registry with Target and receive items without a gift receipt and find out you need to return them, you can go to a kiosk at Target and print out the PURCHASE LOG from your registry, NOT THE REGISTRY ITSELF. This is where I have experienced the most trouble, particularly from a gentleman who insisted that the gift registry was his purchase log... *facepalm* Guest service can scan the PURCHASE LOG as a receipt of the items purchased, and the return will go smoothly from there.
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards