Military Brides

Marine Corp Cover Rules!!! Can't find the answer :(

Hello Ladies!

My wedding is in October on the Navy base in Coronado. The groom and 5 groomsmen will be wearing their dress blues (Marine Corp). I know the rule is that they are supposed to wear their covers outdoors...will it be okay for the guys to NOT wear them. First off, its a pain when it comes to kissing. My fiance always has to take it off when he wants to kiss me. Second, I would like it better if they didn't.

Also, we are having an arch of sabers and are using the 5 groomsmen plus an usher to do this. If they don't have to wear their covers for the ceremony, will they have to wear it for the arch of sabers? I just don't the guys to get in trouble.

Lastly...has anyone done/or seen someone do a cake cutting with a sword? That just seems like it would be difficult and that we'd have to stand like 3 feet away from the cake to do it....but I still wanna do it. :) Any suggestions?

Thanks for the help! :)

Soon-to-be-Marine-Corp-Wife <3

Re: Marine Corp Cover Rules!!! Can't find the answer :(

• edited December 2011
    Hey there!
    I haven't gotten married yet so I'm not 100% on the rules of all that, but I would definitely try the site usmcgals.com. There are a ton of girls on there who have gotten married in similar ceremonies and I'm sure between all of them you can find the answer.
    Hope that helps!

<3Caitie
  • edited December 2011

I don't mean for this to sound rude, but it is "Corps" with an s.... FYI.

• kyrgyzstankyrgyzstan member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    If a Marine is outside, they have their cover on.

If your FI is an NCO or Officer (which he has to be for the arch), he should know the answer to this.
    I hate Dave Ramsey
  • shortibelleshortibelle member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Gingern - LOL my bad, I knew that... Thanks for the correction though. I hate when I type things wrong.

Wishicouldbe - Well I obviously know the cover rule, or I wouldn't have written this post. But I've heard from some MARINES that for special reasons, they don't always have to wear their covers. So I wanted to see if that was even true.
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_marine-corp-cover-rules-cant-answer?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:9dcc5511-637d-471a-9a33-fb2679a646b6Post:90ea253e-a64f-4c63-8f1d-900876d288c4">Re: Marine Corp Cover Rules!!! Can't find the answer :(</a>:
    [QUOTE]Gingern - LOL my bad, I knew that... Thanks for the correction though. I hate when I type things wrong. Wishicouldbe - Well I obviously know the cover rule, or I wouldn't have written this post. But I've heard from some MARINES that for special reasons, they don't always have to wear their covers. So I wanted to see if that was even true.
    Posted by shortibelle[/QUOTE]

From what I understand, also from Marines, if a Marine is outside in uniform, with almost zero exceptions, the Marine has his cover on. Exceptions involve being in boots and utes at work (remaining in the area to have a smoke break, for example), MC functions that are held outside (like a birthday ball, though I've never known one to be outside), and when seated in uniform and eating. I would honestly suggest your FI ask for protocol recommendations from one of his seniors.
    I hate Dave Ramsey
  • shortibelleshortibelle member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    DUH! Why didn't I think of that. LOL Thank you for the suggestion!
  • edited December 2011
    Well I am not 100% sure for the Marine Corps, but I do know that for the Army Soldiers have certain hours/events they are exempt from wearing headgear, but  again thats the Army.
    BFP #1 11/07/2012 EDD 07/09/2013 M/C 11/22/2012

BFP #2 02/05/2013 EDD 09/19/2013

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

edited December 2011
    Marine Corps uniform rules are very strict in comparison with the Army.
    I hate Dave Ramsey
  • edited December 2011
    LOL

I see the "friendly" branch rivalry is still intact

edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_marine-corp-cover-rules-cant-answer?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:9dcc5511-637d-471a-9a33-fb2679a646b6Post:67635d66-c692-4d08-8aca-af7d513b922a">Re: Marine Corp Cover Rules!!! Can't find the answer :(</a>:
    [QUOTE]LOL I see the "friendly" branch rivalry is still intact
    Posted by *HiS ChAmAoLe GiRL*[/QUOTE]

Uh, no. I know both orders, and the Marine Corps one is far more strict. Marines can't wear MARPAT out in town, at all. Soldiers can wear their version anywhere that doesn't make more than 50% of their profits from the sale of alcohol. It's why when I lived in Savannah, I saw Soldiers in pool halls in cammies, even in boots and utes which drove me nuts. Living in Oceanside was very different, you can tell Marines by their hair and lots of other giveaways, but not as obviously. Soldiers wear cammies for official travel, Marines wear Service Alphas (aka the dill pickle uniform, it's the equivalent of a business suit).

<a href="http://www.tacticalgearcommand.com/acu/regulations.html" target="_blank">http://www.tacticalgearcommand.com/acu/regulations.html</a>
    Scroll down to 5.

<a href="http://www.marcorsyscom.usmc.mil/SITES/MCUB/PAGES/07%20ALMARS.htm" target="_blank">http://www.marcorsyscom.usmc.mil/SITES/MCUB/PAGES/07%20ALMARS.htm</a>
    Scroll down to 3.
    I hate Dave Ramsey
  • edited December 2011
    hence the reason I put the word friendly in quotes

maybe while youare looking up regs you can look up the original posters question ...

edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_marine-corp-cover-rules-cant-answer?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:9dcc5511-637d-471a-9a33-fb2679a646b6Post:3cadbcf0-749d-4224-b9a2-5cd14c7d5949">Re: Marine Corp Cover Rules!!! Can't find the answer :(</a>:
    [QUOTE]hence the reason I put the word friendly in quotes maybe while youare looking up regs you can look up the original posters question ...

I did my best to answer her original question. And I didn't have to look up the orders. I already knew them. I cited so that people who were curious could see the full order, since there seemed to be confusion.
    I hate Dave Ramsey
  • edited December 2011
    AF semi-formal and mess dress uniforms do not have hats, and we do not solute outside when we are wearing them.  Unfortunately, the OP was asking about the Marine Corps, not the AF, Navy, Army, or MLB.  She got the proper answer to her question and it was backed up by a reg.  What more could you ask for?  Stan gave an excellent response.
    Twin boys due 7/25/12
  • edited December 2011
    my point was that she could take time to call out someone from another branch with the supporting regs but the same effort wasnt put into the op reg question...its ok.. i get the competition thing but I know that its more friendly between the actual service members thanthe spouses...

• edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_marine-corp-cover-rules-cant-answer?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:13Discussion:9dcc5511-637d-471a-9a33-fb2679a646b6Post:6b5fe344-50a3-4681-b703-45fac7795611">Re: Marine Corp Cover Rules!!! Can't find the answer :(</a>:
    [QUOTE]my point was that she could take time to call out someone from another branch with the supporting regs but the same effort wasnt put into the op reg question...its ok.. i get the competition thing but I know that its more friendly between the actual service members thanthe spouses...
    There was zero competition involved.  None.  It was entirely factual.  I think you're reading too far into it.
    Twin boys due 7/25/12
    edited December 2011
    Actually, I put far more effort into trying to get her answer for her. I called multiple Marines, NCOs, a SNCO, and an O. They all gave me the answers I gave her about the specific situations a cover is not required. I suggested she have her FI ask his seniors, and that seemed to be a good solution.

There was no effort put into looking up the uniform orders because, again, I already knew them. I felt that you saying the Army rules might confuse her, so I posted with citations.

I'm not exactly certain why you felt it had anything to do with branch rivalry, or why you're upset at all really. But this is MB, so it's an alternate world.
    I hate Dave Ramsey
  • AfrostygirlAfrostygirl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I know the rules and everything, but if your having your ceremony or reception outside but somewhere private I say go for it how you want to. I think if your fiance doesn't mind breaking the rules at your wedding then you shouldn't either. Is anyone really going to say anything about them not following protocol? If your having it somewhere public, or if your inviting any of your fiance's senior officers then I hate to say it, but I think they have to wear the covers.
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_marine-corp-cover-rules-cant-answer?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:9dcc5511-637d-471a-9a33-fb2679a646b6Post:6dbb0a2c-bb92-41c4-aef7-ee94a0156f0e">Re: Marine Corp Cover Rules!!! Can't find the answer :(</a>:
    [QUOTE]I know the rules and everything, but if your having your ceremony or reception outside but somewhere private I say go for it how you want to. I think if your fiance doesn't mind breaking the rules at your wedding then you shouldn't either. Is anyone really going to say anything about them not following protocol? If your having it somewhere public, or if your inviting any of your fiance's senior officers then I hate to say it, but I think they have to wear the covers.
    Posted by Afrostygirl[/QUOTE]

I certainly hope your FI will respect the uniform he wears enough to follow the rules for it. Otherwise he shouldn't wear it.
    I hate Dave Ramsey
  • Ken&CassKen&Cass member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_marine-corp-cover-rules-cant-answer?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:13Discussion:9dcc5511-637d-471a-9a33-fb2679a646b6Post:6b7fa3cb-6edd-43de-bb72-c0febd3e42ab">Re: Marine Corp Cover Rules!!! Can't find the answer :(</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Marine Corp Cover Rules!!! Can't find the answer :( : I certainly hope your FI will respect the uniform he wears enough to follow the rules for it. Otherwise he shouldn't wear it.
    Posted by WishIcouldbeinthe'stan[/QUOTE]

<p style="margin:0in 0in 0pt;" class="MsoNormal"><span style="font-size:8.5pt;color:#1f1f1f;font-family:Arial;">I agree.
    The military is all about inconveniences, know what you are marrying into.
    Not doing something because it's a pain is just disrespectful, and hopefully your fiancé knows better.</span></p>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • AfrostygirlAfrostygirl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In response to the last two posts. Mine will follow the rules and I wasn't saying we arn't, but it is your wedding and for the most part it's not like anyone is going to know that your not following the rules, so if the poster really doesn't want them to wear their covers then I think she could have them not do it. If that's what's going to make her day special for her.
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_marine-corp-cover-rules-cant-answer?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:9dcc5511-637d-471a-9a33-fb2679a646b6Post:4ada043a-a20d-4b14-a011-f245bf954dab">Re: Marine Corp Cover Rules!!! Can't find the answer :(</a>:
    [QUOTE]In response to the last two posts. Mine will follow the rules and I wasn't saying we arn't, but it is your wedding and for the most part it's not like anyone is going to know that your not following the rules, so if the poster really doesn't want them to wear their covers then I think she could have them not do it. If that's what's going to make her day special for her.

ARE YOU KIDDING ME?! You would advocate a Marine disrespecting his uniform by breaking the rules for it? I think the OP is doing the right thing by having her FI ask his seniors for protocol. If it's acceptable within the order, fine. BUT THAT UNIFORM IS NOT A TUXEDO. There are rules and restrictions for wearing it.  Following rules is about personal integrity and respecting that uniform, and the EG&A. That uniform is not about her, your FI's uniform is not about you. It's about the service member, and their brothers in arms, and the ones who came before them. If she wants him to look a certain way, that doesn't work within the order, he should go rent a tuxedo.
    I hate Dave Ramsey
  • sgsl2009sgsl2009 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_marine-corp-cover-rules-cant-answer?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:13Discussion:9dcc5511-637d-471a-9a33-fb2679a646b6Post:4ada043a-a20d-4b14-a011-f245bf954dab">Re: Marine Corp Cover Rules!!! Can't find the answer :(</a>:
    [QUOTE]In response to the last two posts. Mine will follow the rules and I wasn't saying we arn't, but it is your wedding and for the most part it's not like anyone is going to know that your not following the rules, so if the poster really doesn't want them to wear their covers then I think she could have them not do it. If that's what's going to make her day special for her.

No, if she doesn't want them to wear the covers, she needs to have them rent a tux or a suit. Then she can pick and choose which pieces she likes and doesn't like to suit her taste.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • A*manda*A*manda* member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_marine-corp-cover-rules-cant-answer?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:9dcc5511-637d-471a-9a33-fb2679a646b6Post:72f386d5-fe5c-4a1a-b3a2-bb8af4a7c96a">Re: Marine Corp Cover Rules!!! Can't find the answer :(</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Marine Corp Cover Rules!!! Can't find the answer :( : No, if she doesn't want them to wear the covers, she needs to have them rent a tux or a suit. Then she can pick and choose which pieces she likes and doesn't like to suit her taste.
    Posted by sgsl2009[/QUOTE]

This!
    The uniform is not a costume and should not be treated as one.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_marine-corp-cover-rules-cant-answer?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:13Discussion:9dcc5511-637d-471a-9a33-fb2679a646b6Post:6dbb0a2c-bb92-41c4-aef7-ee94a0156f0e">Re: Marine Corp Cover Rules!!! Can't find the answer :(</a>:
    [QUOTE]I know the rules and everything, but if your having your ceremony or reception outside but somewhere private I say go for it how you want to. I think if your fiance doesn't mind breaking the rules at your wedding then you shouldn't either. Is anyone really going to say anything about them not following protocol? If your having it somewhere public, or if your inviting any of your fiance's senior officers then I hate to say it, but I think they have to wear the covers.

Actually, this doesn't have anything to do with her FI breaking the rules.  What about the Marines and other SMs that will be wearing their uniform?  Do they want to break the rules?  I bet they will want to follow the regs for their uniform.  I haven't met a Marine that doesn't respect his/her uniform.  Marines have a huge amount of pride when they wear their Blues.  The uniforms are full of tradition and most Marines love the tradition in the USMC.  Plus, I wouldn't be surprised if they would say "F*** you," well maybe in a nicer way, when asked not to wear their covers outside.

If she doesn't want covers then they need to be in tuxes. 

• edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_marine-corp-cover-rules-cant-answer?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:13Discussion:9dcc5511-637d-471a-9a33-fb2679a646b6Post:7d90f688-ead0-4135-a01d-b8cc7c69eadc">Marine Corp Cover Rules!!! Can't find the answer :(</a>:
    [QUOTE] Also, we are having an arch of sabers and are using the 5 groomsmen plus an usher to do this. If they don't have to wear their covers for the ceremony, will they have to wear it for the arch of sabers? I just don't the guys to get in trouble.
    Posted by shortibelle[/QUOTE]

And, yes, they have to wear their covers if they have their sabers with them.  For example, the USMC Birthday Ball is usually held inside (could be outside, but I haven't seen one yet,) the Birthday detail (ceremony) wear their covers inside because they have their sword with them.  Basically, if they have their sword they have their cover.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_marine-corp-cover-rules-cant-answer?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:9dcc5511-637d-471a-9a33-fb2679a646b6Post:4ada043a-a20d-4b14-a011-f245bf954dab">Re: Marine Corp Cover Rules!!! Can't find the answer :(</a>:
    [QUOTE]In response to the last two posts. Mine will follow the rules and I wasn't saying we arn't, but it is your wedding and <strong>for the most part it's not like anyone is going to know that your not following the rules,</strong> so if the poster really doesn't want them to wear their covers then I think she could have them not do it. If that's what's going to make her day special for her.

<div>So she isn't going to take pictures or post them on the web or display them in her house? Okay.... </div>
    30 Rock Pictures, Images and Photos
  • edited December 2011
    @. Your fiance should ask his CO about it.... then you will get a definitive answer. If your CO says covers on, and your wedding is outside or he has a sword or whatever, then go with civilian attire.

Just my two cents :) good luck.
  • I had my wedding indoors, though pictures were outdoors.  I was a grunt, wearing the covers for the pictures was distracting and obscured the face with shadowing, etc.  Because this was ceremonial and not official business, I took the cover off and took the outdoor photos without the cover on.  Big deal.  I'm concerned about real traditions, like winning wars, and being a warrior, not following a regulation that wasn't meant to apply to wedding events, and overly ridiculous adherence to regulations.  I'm a Marine, the cover was an obstacle to the successful completion of the mission, so I adapted and overcame, as Marines should do, and I'm pretty sure Chesty Puller would have been smiling that I didn't get overly bent out of shape about a line of text buried in a book that was getting in the way of what me and my bride wanted at our wedding. 

In other words, do what you think best for your wedding as long as you can claim that in doing so you are honoring the uniform with your conduct.  Setting aside a cover for the purposes of pictures or a smooth wedding ceremony isn't the end of the world and it doesn't diminish the sacrifices my brothers made in Iraq or any other war this nation has fought.  In regards to normal wearing of the uniform in the line of actual duty, stick to regulations.
  • I had my wedding indoors, though pictures were outdoors.  I was a grunt, wearing the covers for the pictures was distracting and obscured the face with shadowing, etc.  Because this was ceremonial and not official business, I took the cover off and took the outdoor photos without the cover on.  Big deal.  I'm concerned about real traditions, like winning wars, and being a warrior, not following a regulation that wasn't meant to apply to wedding events, and overly ridiculous adherence to regulations.  I'm a Marine, the cover was an obstacle to the successful completion of the mission, so I adapted and overcame, as Marines should do, and I'm pretty sure Chesty Puller would have been smiling that I didn't get overly bent out of shape about a line of text buried in a book that was getting in the way of what me and my bride wanted at our wedding. 

In other words, do what you think best for your wedding as long as you can claim that in doing so you are honoring the uniform with your conduct.  Setting aside a cover for the purposes of pictures or a smooth wedding ceremony isn't the end of the world and it doesn't diminish the sacrifices my brothers made in Iraq or any other war this nation has fought.  In regards to normal wearing of the uniform in the line of actual duty, stick to regulations.
    This post is FOUR years old. Lol. 

And you don't get to discard when tradition and regulations are important, especially in a dress uniform. I don't care what your MOS is. And the idea that tactical limitations of headgear in combat is in any way the same thing as obeying dress uniform regulations in a social situation is laughable. None of us are more important than the traditions and regulations of our services. 

It pleases me that four years ago I felt the same way about integrity that I do now. 
    I hate Dave Ramsey
  • Hey! Not sure if this is too late but I have been to several outdoor USMC weddings and this is what I have seen.

The grooms don't wear a cover- it's not necessary. The arch does have to wear their though. I have also seen the groomsmen not wearing their covers either.

Honestly, and this is advice from a mil-spouse who had an outdoor, dress blues wedding- it is your wedding and the military police is not going to come to your wedding and fine your or your FI or groomsmen if their shoes aren't shined perfectly or they aren't wearing their cover. Do what you and your fiance want within reason- i.e.- if neither of you want him to wear his over, then don't. If you want him in white pants and it is in the winter (also very common) while his groomsment are in blue pants, it is okay.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards