Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Use father or stepfather last name on invitations

Long story short...my mother got remarried when I was 3 years old. My stepfather has been there for me throughout my whole life. My father passed away when I was 10, but I am still very close with all of his family. 
When I was in school, my mother used my stepfathers last name on everything, so I was known as one last name, but after I graduated (15 years ago) I have used my legal (fathers last name) 
My mother is adament that I use my stepfathers last name on the invitation instead of the name I have used for the last 15 years. She says that everyone we will invite knows me as one last name, and they will feel bad that his name is not on the invitation. I told her, that will be teh same way that my fathers family will all feel as well. I suggested hyphenating my name on the invitation (although I prefer not to) but feel like I dont want to hurt anybodys feelings. 
Part 2---My mother feels their names should be on the invitation, even though my fiance and myself are footing the whole wedding with no help. I tried to explain nicely to my mother that etiquette says if the bride and groom are paying the wedding, that the parents names probably not be on the invitation, but we could put Along with their parents.....and so on. She became upset about this too. Can I please have some suggestions? Thank you.

Re: Use father or stepfather last name on invitations

• Options
    Use your actual name.  

You can include "daughter of" and "son of" if you want to include your parents' names, but it isn't necessary.  
  • Options
    I'd use your actual name on the invitation.  Or not use a last name at all and just use a first/middle for both you and the groom.  

Hosting does not equal paying, but it doesn't sound like your mom is paying OR hosting, so you have no obilgation to list her on the invitation.
  • Options
    I would use your real name and "Together with our families" 

• Options
    Use your legal name. It would be silly to use a fake name to appease your mom. whether or not you include your parents name on the invite really comes down to personal preference.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I had a tricky wording situation, this is what we did:

The honour of your presence is requested at the Nuptial Mass uniting

Bride first middle last
    daughter of MOB and FOB

and

Groom first middle last
    son of MOG and the late FOG

I purposely kept the nature of the hosting vague because it was important for H to have his late father on the invitation (and etiquette-wise you shouldn't have a deceased parent listed as a host).  We included a reception card to indicate that my mom was hosting the reception.

Not traditional, but it worked for us and made everyone happy.  If you did something similar, you could use your legal name but your stepfather could be included in the "daughter of" section.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic 

• Options
    Use your legal name.

I have my biological dad's last name, but he hasn't been around for over a decade.  My step-father, mom, and brothers all have a different last name, but I wouldn't use it because its not *my* name.  Even though my actual father has not been a part of my life, it would be strange to use a name that is not my own.

If you are paying for the wedding, you should just write "together with their families" or something similar.  I wouldn't want to indicate our parents were hosting if we were paying for the wedding.

Depending on the formality of your wedding, could use use your first and middle names, and not include your/your FI's last names in the event a compromise can't be reached?
    image Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_use-father-or-stepfather-last-name-on-invitations?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:4f5f134e-0f5d-4188-9897-aff6f8f4a804Post:78c608be-5ad4-4fb2-8fb1-b5842bd5fdbf">Re: Use father or stepfather last name on invitations</a>:
    [QUOTE]I had a tricky wording situation, this is what we did: The honour of your presence is requested at the Nuptial Mass uniting Bride first middle last daughter of MOB and FOB and Groom first middle last son of MOG and the late FOG I purposely kept the nature of the hosting vague because it was important for H to have his late father on the invitation (and etiquette-wise you shouldn't have a deceased parent listed as a host).  We included a reception card to indicate that my mom was hosting the reception. Not traditional, but it worked for us and made everyone happy.  If you did something similar, you could use your legal name but your stepfather could be included in the "daughter of" section.
    Posted by jcg98[/QUOTE]

I agree with jcg98, even though she is a NY fan.
  • Options
    I agree, use legal name because that is what you are going to have to list on your invites. If you are considered that too many people may not recoginize you by that last name when they get the invite, hypenate.

In regards on how to list, I think a PP said it best, "together with their families" this way you are including the parents, but not disrespecting your dad or stepdad & their families.
  • Options
    We didn't love together with our families, and we did pay for it ourselves, but we felt that our parents deserved the respect to be on the invitation so we did:

Brides Name
    and
    Groom's Name
    with the blessings of their parents
    Mr & Mrs Brides parents and
    Mr & Mrs Grooms parents
    request the honor of your presence....

It worked better for us. Parents were mentioned by name, but they were not doing the inviting/hosting. It made everyone feel good.
  • Options
    My mom kind of went through something similar when she got married.

If your stepfather never legally adopted you, your legal last name is that of your biological father. And, as an adult, your last name is your business, not your mother's.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    One of my friends could have easily written this post. IIRC the last name she went by was Johnson (stepdad's last name) but her legal last name (bio dad's name) was Smith (not her real last names). The last couple years she was going by Smith. She put her name on the wedding invitations as Smith, probably because it was 1. her legal name and 2. that's what most of the newer people in her life knew her by (she changed what she went by around the time she moved somewhere new). The rest of us that knew her by the other last name knew the story and knew who it was anyways.

Anyways, it's ultimately up to you. I do like the idea if putting parent's names on there just in case someone does get confused, but I would think most people could figure it out. My instinct would be to use your legal name, but if that's something you're not comfortable with, that's your choice.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    March 2013 March siggy challenge - wedding preview
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Planning Bio
  • Options
    You could use both?  I would put
    suzie Q
    and
    tom K
    with the blessings of their parents
    Mr & Mrs Brides parents and brides late father
    Mr & Mrs Grooms parents
    request the honor of your presence....
    That way you use both last names but not any last name on your name,  it should not be too hard to figure out who belongs to what parents.
  • Options
    >>etiquette says if the bride and groom are paying the wedding, that the parents names probably not be on the invitation

PAYING is not the same as HOSTING.

The bride's parents do the hosting duties prior to the wedding and at the wedding and at the reception, and they are listed as the hosts on the top line of the invitation -
    unless they do not approve of the wedding and will not be attending,
    or unless they are deceased.

No matter how much or how little they PAY.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_use-father-or-stepfather-last-name-on-invitations?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:4f5f134e-0f5d-4188-9897-aff6f8f4a804Post:c42a9236-d9aa-490f-9db1-4a424b9c54a4">Re: Use father or stepfather last name on invitations</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Use father or stepfather last name on invitations : <strong> Sorry, but you never put a deceased person on a wedding invitation</strong>, especially with this wording that suggests that the deceased can somehow give their blessings to the marriage!  This wording also suggests that the parents are hosting the wedding, which they are not.
    Posted by CMGr[/QUOTE]

I did, and the world is still turning on its axis.  The feelings of my then-FI-now-H were way more important to me.  Like I said, I worded it in such a way that no one could possibly infer that a deceased person was hosting or giving a blessing, although I would certainly like to think his father is smiling down on us.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards