Canada-Alberta

Canadian Rockies

I'm in love with all things mountain and I think I'm going to love the Canadian Rockies. 

Since I've always wanted to see the Canadian Rockies (including Banff, Canmore, Field, Jasper etc) we're thinking of eloping where we'd like to honeymoon.  I've seen lots of nice elopement packages offered for this area. 

I've made this map of Banff/Canmore area venues.
MAP LINK HERE

Having never been there myself, is the area I have mapped out the "main" area of the Candian Rockies?  As in the "Don't Miss!" area because it has the best views?  I imagine it's all quite beautiful.   We may drive up from Utah.

Any of those you'd like to suggest for an intimate, outdoor, private wedding?  I'd imagine it's all pretty touristy?  Marriage Commissioner Rick Kunelius has some awesome locations where he'll marry you, including hike-in weddings or even helicopter weddings (Anyone know where this Weddding Mound is by the way?  Near Mt. PeeChee?).  Since we're giving up the Teton wedding, I do want to make this wedding spectacular for just the two of us.

Not sure when this will take place.  My dad has 3-5 months to live.  We actually have a wedding planned for Jackson Hole which is in 4 months but we are going to undo everything since a) no one has purchsed plane tickets, b) we can get full refunds thankfully.  It is just the best for everyone and no one wants to have to deal with both events should they be close.  I couldn't function I know that.  I want to wait until after the dust has settled and life goes back to normal for a little bit.  It could be fall, or it could be summer 2013.  Not sure, but I can't help but dream of options now to distract myself.

Re: Canadian Rockies

• ginadogginadog member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited March 2012
    I have been eyeing Moraine Lake!  Look at this lovely Moraine Lake wedding.  You can walk up to The Rockpile (there is a flat area too).  I would love that.

Or a heli wedding, Hmmmm

So pretty.
  • Emerald Lake Lodge actually has an amazing elopment package. Emerald Lake is absolutley beautlful and is not busy like the Banff area etc. As all that is around the area is the hotel itself so it is much quieter than many of the other popular spots in the area. Check out their website at: http://www.crmr.com/emerald/weddings/

Another very cool mountain area is Waterton - it's a much smaller park than Banff or Lake Louise, however is just as beautiful. Enjoy and good luck!

• I second Emerald Lake for an elopement.  We went there for the weekend when my H proposed and it was the most romantic place I have ever been.  It is super private and peaceful.  Perfect spot for eloping.
  • ginadogginadog member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited March 2012
    I've been doing some package research and ELL does have the best value so far.  I kind of envisioned hiking to a secluded spot for a ceremony, but I think this will do since everything is so conveniently right there.

Depending on which room they issue you as part of the "2 nights' accommodations" (currently waiting for a reply) the package is worth about $800 and you get (on top of two nights accommodations at ELL):

two breakfasts for two
    three course dinner for two
    bride's bouquet
    groom's boutonniere
    mini wedding cake
    sparkling wine
    fruit, cheese, chocolate platter
    Gift (engraved champagne flutes in a wooden box at the moment)
    all taxes and gratuities

I think we can keep our original Utah photographer, she's offered to go to Canada for the same price!!!  I want to get Moraine Lake shots too, but I feel the area may be too busy for a ceremony.  Hmm, maybe we can drive there in between the ceremony and dinner.  That's like 2 hours of driving thought.  Although I love those Rockpile shots, ELL seems like it be more intimate for a ceremony.

• You could still hike to a secluded spot for the ceremony if you want!  I know there are lots of hiking trails around Emerald Lake.  Just phone them and chat, they are all really really nice and helpful at the Lodge!
  • I grew up in Canmore, and if you are looking for an intimate place to get married there are tons of little huts and stuff within the area. Storm Mountain lodge is about 40 minutes outside of Banff and is a gorgeous little hut, which would be perfect for elopement. The prices are pretty reasonable and it the epitomy of rustic style mountain lodging. 
    Elk Lake Lodge is also beautiful, but a bit more of a drive. My friend was married out there last summer and the scenery was stunning.
    Hope this helps!
  • hchurchill27hchurchill27 member
    First Comment
    edited April 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_canada-alberta_canadian-rockies?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:626Discussion:1942da02-a685-4a85-a00e-7408357b0a57Post:a41a3e69-d38e-46c2-8024-e9b44524a6f9">Re: Canadian Rockies</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Canadian Rockies : Do you mean Emerald Lake Lodge, not Elk Lake Lodge?  The distance is OK because we're doing a 2+ week road trip up to Jasper then to Revelstoke while hitting all the Banff/Yoho NP sites in between.  I did look at Storm Mountain too as well.  It has great reviews on Trip Advisor.  Where in Canmore would you suggest? So hard when you've never been there!  I do like having the lake right there with Emerald Lake Lodge too, plus they do so many elopements, it's kind of their specialty is seems.
    Posted by ginadog[/QUOTE]. <div>
    </div><div>Nope, there is a lodge called Elk Lake, but it seasonal, so may not be a good choice. But Emerald Lake Lodge is gorgeous!</div><div>
    </div><div>In Canmore I would suggest either Stewart Creek Golf Course or Silvertip Golf Course They are on opposite sides of the valley, and are both beautiful.</div><div>If you are on more of a budget I think the Alpine Club location in Canmroe does weddings. It's pretty small, but really nice.
    </div>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards