Catholic Weddings

Newbie Introduction & Request for Advice

Hello!

I am brand new to theknot and I wanted to introduce myself. I am Cate, and I'm marrying a wonderful man, who is a member of the Marine Corps. He got orders early, and because of that, we are moving our wedding from January 2012 to July 2011. Theoretically, July 1 or July 2--we're touring reception venues with our mothers next weekend.  We decided on July yesterday. 

I am at peace with the fact that everything will be simpler and less elaborate than I originally imagined, because we're working on a shorter time schedule. Marrying my fiance is my dream.

Because it is a holiday weekend, military chapels at the local post will not perform weddings, so we need to find a church in the local community. I was expecting to have the full 6 months. Now, I am concerned that all the churches will be booked or we won't be able to find a priest willing to waive the 6 months notice. Do any of you ladies have advice? Know of wonderful churches in Arlington or Alexandria sympathetic to active duty military and compressed schedules? I appreciate anything you can tell me!

PS: I plan to cross post this in the military brides board--please tell me if that is rude or not done. Thanks!

Re: Newbie Introduction & Request for Advice

• edited December 2011
    We had to swap venues in Feb- about three months before our upcoming May wedding. They waived the six month time period, but we still had to do pre cana and the like.

Good luck, and congrats!
  • doctabroccolidoctabroccoli member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Welcome!

I would recommend posting this on your local board since you'll run across more people who will know of churches in your area :).
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Waiting to meet the baby broccoli on 5/5/2013!
  • edited December 2011
    Welcome!

And tell your FI thank you for his service. God Bless him and all of our troops.

I see you are from Columbus. I am originally from Columbus. GO BUCKS!  Did you mean Upper Arlington? I am not really familiar with Alexandria, but have known people from that area.

Here are a few Upper Arlington churches that come to mind:

Our Lady of Victory
    St. Christopher
    St. Andrew

If you google them, you can find their websites.

Also, you may want to check out catholicweddinghelp.com for more info on planning a Catholic ceremony.

Good luck!
  • edited December 2011
    And no, its not rude to cross post the same thread on a different board. Usually the best way to do it is to put XP in the thread title so people know you are posting it on more than one board.

And besides with the military aspect of your planning the wedding, I am not sure how much feedback you will get from the Miltary board. I would, however, try posting this on the Columbus OH board. This is an international board. HTH.
  • ring_popring_pop member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Welcome!

I don't have any local advice for you but I hope you can find a church that is willing to accommodate you. If they're all booked up, perhaps you could consider a Friday evening wedding?

Good luck!
    Baby Birthday Ticker
    Baby #2: Surprise BFP 9.19.12, EDD 5.24.13, natural m/c 10.19.13 at 9w
  • Calypso1977Calypso1977 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    definitely dont book your reception venue until you have the church set.
    im sure you will find a church willing to accomdate you, even if it means marrying on a day of the week other than saturday.  be flexible, and explain the military situation.  is yoru priest on base willing to assist and vouch for you that you are a regular member, practicing, etc?
  • edited December 2011

Try St. Maria on Davis st. In Arlington. I just realized.. Which Arlington are you talking about? Texas or Virginia or another one all together?

• edited December 2011
    Thank you so much!

-- />Threpinkroses, Thanks! It's really reassuring to hear about the 6 month waiver. We already did Pre-Cana and the FOCCUS inventory and other marriage prep activities in the diocese.

-- />doctabroccoli, Thanks! I will consider hopping over there. I google mapped it and found some parishes close to the reception sites we're looking at, but it's hard to tell what it's like.

-- /> MissySue, I live in Columbus but we're going to get married in Northen Virginia/Washington DC area because that's where my FI is stationed. Also, it's a really nice midpoint between our families and means that more people can drive. I go to St. Francis of Assisi in Columbus and I love it!

-- />RingPop, Thank you! Friday evening is a good idea, and actually would be our preference, so we could have the weekend for a honeymoon--he has off til July 5.

-- />Calypso, Thank you for your reassurance! The priest at my parish can speak to our regular attendance. I'll try to mention that when I approach a priest at a new parish.

-- />DFWIndian, Actually, I'm looking at the Arlington in Vrginia. My FI is at Quantico for 6 months and then who knows? Thanks for the recommendation!
  • ootmother2ootmother2 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    I was in Alexandria for the long weekend at my sister's.  The church we went to yesterday was beautiful, closer to Arlington though.

I'll be talking to here tonight and get the name for you.

p.s.  Welcome!
  • edited December 2011
    We had a conversation with the Deacon at our church during which he mentioned performing a wedding on January 1.  The groom was active military, so even though the church doesn't normally do weddings on holy days, he said they definitely make exceptions for the crazy military schedule.  I'm sure you can find a church that will do the same -- we owe our right to worship to the military!

Good luck!
    Anniversary

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards