Delaware

Dress alterations

My dress is coming in in about a month and I'm trying to decide on having it altered at Brides & Grooms or taking it to Elaine Morgan.  I know a lot of girls here have had her alter their gowns...any comments, good, bad or indifferent?  I only need a bustle put in and maybe a few stiches here and there...nothing major.  B&G quoted me about $150-$180.  TIA!
*Lauren*
Married Bio! Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Dress alterations

• ImMrsFranksImMrsFranks member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Elaine is awesome! I recommended her to all my bridesmaids, and they loved her as well. She was very easy to get along with and very helpful as I had no idea what type of bustle I wanted. Very reasonable prices as well. I think I paid $100.00 and that was for a pretty complicated bustle, she took in some at the back of my dress to make it more form-fitting.
  • MrsJax09MrsJax09 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have mixed reviews on Elaine. She began in late February altering my dress for my early May wedding. it was a great time frame, however I felt like she was never "ready" for me. Always behind, doing things last minute, sometimes doing things that were opposite of what she wrote on her slip. I think a lot of it is attributed to using her around prom season. Looking back I would have called the day before any appointment to make sure the work that was supposed to be done got done or was almost done. I think during "off seasons" (Ie. not prom/homecoming/major wedding time) she would be fine and trustworthy on her own, but when it is crunch times you just need to stay on top of her because naturally her head is going ten ways to sunday - and I can't fault her on that.She did a TON of work on my dress (including making detachable sleeves) and numerous fittings for about $100. She did a bustle she wasn't too familiar with (folded bustle) which worked OK. I did follow-up with her and told her what I liked and didnt like about the final results (biggest issue was the bridesmaid dresses and the placement of the straps she sewed on - all over the place despite distinct markings for it at a seam), but she was willing to refund bridesmaid money as well as fix the issues for any of them that wanted it. Overall, I like Elaine. She wasn't an A for me, but I would def. give her a B-B+ looking back at it all. She is a fair vendor who doesn't charge an arm and a leg, she is willing to correct her wrongs, and is generally a very sweet woman. HTH
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    I haven't yet found my dress, or decided who will be doing my alterations. However, in May my sister got married, and I was MoH. She used Elaine, and the price was very affordable, there were multiple fittings, but I never felt like she did any work between our meetings. Also, I was very unhappy with the final product. The dress was darker, and she chose WHITE thread to attach my straps, and since there was a bow in the back (which we cut off) she used white to connect the fabric to butt against the zipper. Not to mention, she looked like she spent 5 minutes total sewing it. I could have done a better job, in my opinion. It was just like three or four loops worth of thread.By the time the reception had started, my strap had broken off, and the fabric that was against the zipper had split open. Overall, I was not happy with what I got from her. I feel like she didn't put enough time into my dress, and she could have done it with a little bit more care.I would keep an eye out for another seamstress, I know another one of the bridesmaids used Terri Richards, and it was a little bit more than my alterations, but it looked just as good, if not better - and it didn't fall apart!Good luck!
  • jillian210jillian210 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would have to agree with Jackie on this.  I got married at the beginning of May as well and felt the same.  My alterations were ok, but I had issues the day of.  We stopped by to pick up 4 of the bridesmaid dresses the day before the wedding, and all had issues.  Overall, I think time management and an overwhelming amount of business were the factors because I do think she is talented, but if I could go back, I would have probably opted to pay a little extra, and gone somewhere else. Having said that, I have heard not so good things about the alterations at B&G.  Great place to order your dress, but I would suggest getting it tailored elsewhere.
  • jillian210jillian210 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    hehe my younger sister just posted her experience above my post.   
  • edited December 2011
    I know that Sarah is using a lady out of Independence Mall that I have heard wonderful things about- I don't remember her name, I think it's Sophia?, but I have heard from several people I know outside of TK that she does a very nice job.  I don't know her pricing compared to Elaine's, but it's something to check out!As far as Brides and Grooms alterations, I agree with Jillian- I have heard some not so good things about them, including the seamstress is not so nice while working with the customers.  I do know they have a new seamstress in there, so I don't know if she is a replacement or an add on.  When I was in there a few Saturdays ago to go dress shopping with a friend from HS, she had to do an immediate alteration on a lady from NY, and I saw the before and after, and it seemed to be okay.  I can say that if you were to go with a seamstress outside of a salon, they are going to charge much, much less than any salon alterations do.But overall, I would be inclined to follow what Jillian said- great place to buy a dress, but try and take your alterations elsewhere.
  • edited December 2011
    I used Elaine, I have had none of the aforementioned issues.  But, my dress really didn't need much at all.  I had to have it let out a bit and shortened, and that's it.  I had no train, so no bustle to worry about.  I think if you're getting minimal work done, going to Elaine is a good idea, because you won't be charged an arm and a leg.  But if you need more done, like an intricate bustle or something like that, you might want to invest in another seamstress to make sure it stays put that day.  HTH!
  • Lady05Lady05 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have not had my dress altered yet. I did go to Elaine to first see what she could do. I was recommended to her from a friend. I took multi pictures of the tie I wanted her to do for my FI. I brought fabric from the designer of my dress. It did not turn out the way I wanted. I took it back a 2nd x and still not jumping up and down for it. I could have went with another seamstress and that cost a little more and got what I want the 1x. I would over all give Elaine "C". I do not think I will be using her for my dress alterations. I will pay a little more for what I want done right the first time. I did hear from several people about Sophia from Indp Mall. HTH .. GL!!
  • edited December 2011
    Wow, thanks a lot everyone, I'm so glad I asked :)  I think I'll definetly check out the seamstress in Ind. Mall.  While I would love to save some $$, it's not worth sacrificing my wedding dress.  Thanks again!!
    *Lauren*
    Married Bio! Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Do you have contact information for Terri Richards?

In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_delaware_dress-alterations?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:77Discussion:10425088Post:62250668">Dress alterations</a>:
    [QUOTE]I haven't yet found my dress, or decided who will be doing my alterations. However, in May my sister got married, and I was MoH. She used Elaine, and the price was very affordable, there were multiple fittings, but I never felt like she did any work between our meetings. Also, I was very unhappy with the final product. The dress was darker, and she chose WHITE thread to attach my straps, and since there was a bow in the back (which we cut off) she used white to connect the fabric to butt against the zipper. Not to mention, she looked like she spent 5 minutes total sewing it. I could have done a better job, in my opinion. It was just like three or four loops worth of thread.By the time the reception had started, my strap had broken off, and the fabric that was against the zipper had split open. Overall, I was not happy with what I got from her. I feel like she didn't put enough time into my dress, and she could have done it with a little bit more care.I would keep an eye out for another seamstress, I know another one of the bridesmaids used Terri Richards, and it was a little bit more than my alterations, but it looked just as good, if not better - and it didn't fall apart!Good luck!
    Posted by ChristieThePup[/QUOTE]
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards