Flowers

Are flowers a must?

Do I really have to have flowers at my wedding? I'm apathetic about them and could do without the extra expense. Opinions?

Re: Are flowers a must?

• breanessbreaness member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yes and no.

A must? Absolutely not. A should? Definitely.

I am SO glad that I had my bouquet. It was beautiful, it added a really nice pop of color to the photos, and it was a nice prop to hold so I wasn't standing awkwardly and trying to figure out what to do with my hands. It really added a lot to the photos.

Outside of the ceremony? Totally superfluous. We didn't have any flowers at the reception and they weren't missed. No one will notice your lack of flowers if you have interesting centerpieces, good food, and great entertainment.
  • breanessbreaness member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    That being said, you could always do fake flowers for the bouquet or a non-traditional, non-flower bouquet. There are a lot of neat options on etsy that I tossed around. I would have probably done that if we weren't having a DW and I didn't have to travel with the flowers. However, I couldn't be happier with the bouquet I had so I'm happy with our choice.
  • edited December 2011
    No they are not! If you're not wanting flowers - then don't do them. Nothing is wrong with that. Like others have suggested .... I do think you should consider having at least one pic made holding a bouquet (bridal portrait) or a single flower. (Just for "tradition's" sake.) For your wedding - millions of ideas can be found - I totally agree with the prior comments.. check etsy. (Brooch bouquets!!) Or how about adorning your hair with a few simple blooms and let those flowers speak for tradition? As far as reception ... please, Brides can use, sticks, twigs, lights, candles, wine bottles, bird cages ... live plants, moss, succulents .... colored water ... stones, your options are endless..... Like I always say ... You Do You!!! This is your day - do what makes you (and of course your Groom) comfortable!! You will remember this special day for the rest of your life!!! Congrats ... whatever you decide will be perfect!
  • jagore08jagore08 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I went to a friends wedding and they didn't have one flower.  Her bouquet was made from a seller on Etsy, it had fabric flowers, brooches, and feathers and the BM carried clutches.  The centerpieces were tall vases with candles and little silver doves.  I didn't miss the flowers one bit.
    Ignorance is a poor defense. Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • edited December 2011
    I don't think flowers are necessary at all. I think they're pretty so I'm having them, but just a few. Bouqets, boutonierres, and corsages, that's it. We purposely found venues that were already decorated so we didn't have to bother. That said, if you don't like them, then I think you should skip it and find something else you do love.
  • graysquirrelgraysquirrel member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Flowers are not needed at all. It is entirely up to you and your tastes. What you decide to carry or decorate with should reflect your personality. If that means no flowers, then don't have any. There are lots of things that you can carry instead, or nothing at all. I love flowers and had a huge boquet, but I will admit that between holding my dad's arm, hoisting up my dress, and carrying the thing I almost wish that I hadn't had to have dealt with it. Don't worry about what others think or what other's personal preferences are on Tk. If you don't want flowers, nix em.
    Photobucket
  • wolledollywolledolly member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Wow! You all had such great answers for me! Thank you everyone. I think a bridal purse is more my style than flowers. I did forget about the boutonnieres though. Hhmmm. My wedding "theme" is 1950s nightclub, like the Stork Club or Playboy Club so I'm pretty sure I can't get away without the boutonnieres. . .
  • edited December 2011
    Has anybody seen anything neat done with bamboo and feathers? I'm looking for red bamboo or dyed bamboo - just not green - to incorporate into my bouquet since it's sustainable wood.

One of my bridesmaids pointed out that this would probably make it not such a good thing to toss! LOL

so maybe I will use it for their bouquets and seek something a little "lighter" for my own

any suggestions?
  • Magdala9Magdala9 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_flowers_flowers-must?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:28Discussion:75443d59-baf6-4056-9a83-84939303eb23Post:35c28529-fa49-4f44-a550-a946015790e3">Re: Are flowers a must?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Wow! You all had such great answers for me! Thank you everyone. I think a bridal purse is more my style than flowers. I did forget about the boutonnieres though. Hhmmm. My wedding "theme" is 1950s nightclub, like the Stork Club or Playboy Club so I'm pretty sure I can't get away without the boutonnieres. . .
    Posted by wolledolly[/QUOTE]

Colored pocket squares would work with your theme.
  • edited December 2011

We only had simple bouquets for me and my girls (white roses), a corsage for my MIL, and boutonniers for the guys.  The ceremony location provided flowers as part of the package and we didn't bother having them at the reception.  Didn't cost much at all!

PitaPata Cat tickers Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    I think flowers are not a must. All you need is the man, the priest, and the dress, as they say :) But decor-wise, my goal is to buy no real flowers, although if my DIY substitutes suck I might wind up getting a grocery store bouquet for me and a bouquet for the altar a day or two before the wedding.
  • edited December 2011
    Ladies, Ladies, Ladies, what is a wedding without flowers.  It's natures gift to the world.  And I'm not saying that because I'm a floral designer. Bunches Bob
    Bunches Bob "Have Fun With Those Blooms"
  • kmclean29kmclean29 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have done flowers for several brides who "thought" they did not want them!   The last wedding I did had really simple centerpieces with a monochromatic theme and 2 large entry pieces, but skipped all the personal arrangements.  It was a change from the norm, but fit the couple so wonderfully and was a fun challenge for me!!
  • edited December 2011
    I will go for the flowers is must for the wedding ceremony.I don't think without flowers for the cermony will not complete.My suggestionis to all the wedding should choose the real flowers for the wedding.
  • edited December 2011
    I do not think they are at all.  I didn't really want flowers either...then my mom convinced me that I should have them, so I was just going to do corsages, bouquets, and boutonieries.  Then, when I got my first quote from a florist (we are on a tight budget) my mom all of a sudden changed her tune and saw how they are really expensive if you dont LOVE them.  So, I'm pretty sure my girls are going to carry only a single rose and/or a clutch.  Do what you want and what you love. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards