Military Brides

Is my fiance a legal resident of FL?

My fiance is stationed in Florida, but his mailing address is PA, he is not registered to vote in FL, nor is his drivers license a FL license.

We are completing an online pre-marital study course, and I am unsure if he should complete his own review quiz, or not. If he is not a legal FL resident, he is not required to do a separate quiz, if he is, the state requires that he complete his own quiz.

Help.

I know this may be a dumb question, but I am seriously unsure. I tried to call the clerk of courts, but of course they didn't answer yesterday and are closed today.

Re: Is my fiance a legal resident of FL?

• calindicalindi member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    He'd be a resident of PA, most likely.

Anniversary

• kara811kara811 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think you would have to go to the DMV and get a new state license/ID to become a resident of that state. I had to do this when I moved to different states. The DMV at the new state you live in will also take away and/or cut up your old license/ID. So I'm pretty sure he's still a PA resident. 
  • Sammy0709Sammy0709 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    He is a PA resident.  H has been in CA for 4 years and he is still a legal PA resident.  If PA is on his DL that is his residence.  If you are still unsure, go by where he files his state taxes.  That is where he is a legal resident.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Beachy730Beachy730 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ditto Sammy.  He has to actually establish residency in the state to be considered a resident.  Right now I am a resident of WA because I switched my license when I got here, but H was still a resident of NY.  He is planning on doing it once he checked in to the ship, so he may actually be a resident by now. 
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • tracyt14tracyt14 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If your fiancee is living in FL and is in the military-- I would TOTALLY advise that he becomes a resident of Florida!!  Florida has no state tax-- and saves you a bundle in the long run!!  Neither does Texas or Ohio which is why everyone who  is in the military always claims those as their states when the opportunity arises!  He's a resident of PA for now...but seriously, I would look into him (and in due time!) you becoming residents of FL!!
  • tracyt14tracyt14 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Oh sorry!  I see you are a resident of FL...so you probably already know this!  ;)

• mysticlmysticl member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    I'm sorry I'm a little late here but have you asked your FI what state he is a resident of?  He has to know the answer to that question.  It is not dependent on his driver's license.  My DH has a VA license (used to have an HI one), is stationed in VA and owns a home in VA but as a member of the military claims NC as his legal residence (he is registered to vote there).   The state taxes are also a good indicator. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • kyrgyzstankyrgyzstan member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    More than taxes, I would consider how the state legislature tends to allocate those taxes. I don't mind paying higher taxes for things like some of the best public higher education institutions in the country. When/if I join, I plan on keeping my residency in my home state so that the legislature can make use of those funds for things I utilized, like the aforementioned quality higher education.
    I hate Dave Ramsey
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards