Just Engaged and Proposals

Do I really need a ring?

My fiance and I have been engaged for 7 months - I actually sort-of asked him. We tried going to look at rings a couple of times, but money is a little tight for both of us right now and I am very picky about jewelry. We haven't found anything in our price range that I like. At this point, we're halfway to our wedding, so is an engagement ring a requirement or is it acceptable to forgo the engagement ring for a more ornamental "engagement-like" (with diamonds) wedding ring with no separate wedding band?

Re: Do I really need a ring?

• No.

Rings are a tradition and a personal choice, but not having one does not make you less engaged, nor will it make you less legally married.
  • Nope, no more than you need a white dress to be a bride.

Rings are just symbolic. If you don't want one or can't afford one, don't get one.

There are quite a few girls on here who don't have e-rings.
  • You definitely do not need a ring!

But if you WANT one, in addition to CZ or gemstones, you could look at the rings that are marketed as promise rings at all of the major chain stores.  You can usually find some around $100-$150 and they typically have little diamonds.  Some of them are very pretty.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • We are in similar situation.  I currently don't have one.  The one I want is out of our budget for now, so we have been saving for it till we can afford it.  An engagement ring is not a requirement, IMO.  Keep looking and I am sure you will find something you like in your price range, if not PP has some good advice as well.
  • Same situation here.  My ring is on layaway in a store because money is tight here and FI lost his job 7 months ago and is working a crappy low-end job (but at least it pays bills!)  We are technically engaged as well, just with no ring, which is fine with me :)  I know it's coming eventually.

But just like PP, it's completely up to you!
  • I don't have a ring yet, but we have booked a venue for the ceremony and reception, set a date and have ordered the save the dates.  Next weekend, I'm going to look for florist and cake makers and if I have time the make-up artist and hair stylist.  I think I'm getting my ring for Valentine's Day. 
  • You don't NEED a ring, but if you want one you should get a nice fake. There are some awesome ones that look real if you look at enough places. What would be great is getting one similar to the one you want so when you guys can go in and get the real one no one will be the wiser. Honestly if it doesn't bother you then it really doesn't matter. Oh and as you mentioned in the end of the post, I heard from the ring store I was at today that a lot of brides are doing away with the band or just getting a band without the other e-ring.
  • Since I'm not really comfortable with fancy jewelry, I told him that I didn't need a ring and to instead put the money towards the down payment of our house.  I'm happy with just simple wedding bands. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • i completely agree with emilyinchile! you absolutely do not need a ring. it is tradition, but not a necessity. FI got mine on sale from kay jewelers, it's sterling silver with 5 tiny diamonds. technically, it's a "promise ring," but he proposed with it, which IMO makes it an engagement ring. plus it's small, which suits me.

true, when you say you're engaged, people automatically look at your left hand. but just because you don't have a ring at the moment doesn't change the fact that you're totally in love and plan to spend the rest of your lives together [:

i'm happy for you and hope you find something that suits your taste AND your pocketbook [:
    *marc & catrina*
    *10.9.10*
  • I don't think so! In fact I don't want one at all. I'm sure many have a different opinion, but personally I see no reason for it. We are in the 21st century, and it is a tradition I simply do not agree with. Plus I've never really been a huge fan of diamonds.... :P
  • I have an e-ring, but we've been engaged over a year and honestly, you get over it. It's just a piece of jewelry. Actually, we moved to a new place and most people just assume its a wedding ring. No one has any clue we're not married yet, no matter how many times I try to explain it!

My advice: do what you want. People'll make their own assumption anyway. It's not worth fighting it.

• A few thoughts:
    1) According to all the sites your wedding band has more importance than your engagement ring.  Therefore, if you want a ring, you could put the money into your wedding band.

2) As someone else posted, there are people who use their wedding band for their engagement ring too (or don't wear their engagement rings once they're married)

3) if you want an enagement ring, it doesn't have to be a diamond, there are lots of other stones out there, but it sounds like you're more worried about etiquette than about the actual ring.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards