New Jersey

MOB Dress Etiquette

Hi Everyone!
My mom and I have been searching for the perfect dress for her to wear to my wedding in August. My colors are hot pink, lime, and silver as an accent. The girls are wearing hot pink (shown below on hanger) and the guys will be wearing silver suits.  My mom has had the idea of the dress she wants to wear in her mind but hasnt been able to find it bc there are so many things she wanted in one dress. 
However, yesterday we went shopping and she found the perfect dress, I couldn't believe it, it seriously met all of her criteria. The only thing she was concerned about is it being fuschia with purplish undertones (it only comes in this color or black - Picture of mom in dress is below). She didn't want to wear a similar color to the bridesmaids - I totally don't see a problem with it - I think she looks great, no matter the color. 
So she asked me to ask my fellow knotties if etiquette wise, is it ok for the MOB to wear a similar color dress as the bridesmaids even though the dresses look nothing alike? Is there an unwritten rule about this? I mean, ultimately, I think she should just get the dress  - it's her daughter's wedding and she should wear whatever she feels most comfortable and beautiful in - this is totally it.
TIA :] and sorry for the novel.. lol

Girls bridesmaid dresses

Dress mom loves.
Photobucket

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: MOB Dress Etiquette

• I wouldn't worry about it.  The colors seem different enough and if your mom is comfortable then that is what really matters.  Don't get caught up in all the little rules.  Its your wedding!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Thank you :] I whole heartedly agree - she's concerned.. My FI, dad, and I keep telling her how great it looks and that the colors are a little different, and like you said, it's my wedding - who cares about the rules - something like this is really just trivial. I hope she gets it :]
    Photobucket

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • There won't be pictures of your mom surrounded by bridesmaids for anyone to even realize that they are close. If she feels beautiful she should get it!

Photobucket

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_mob-dress-etiquette?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:90Discussion:f747889f-4b0f-4788-8415-cfe5a187b6c3Post:f7bcc1e8-1967-48cc-a26a-17979d995c97">Re: MOB Dress Etiquette</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>There won't be pictures of your mom surrounded by bridesmaids for anyone to even realize that they are close.</strong> If she feels beautiful she should get it!
    Posted by diamondx423[/QUOTE]

<div>I dont think we both even thought of that - thank you! I hope everyone's positive responses help her to change her mind and buy the dress :] Thanks again.</div>
    Photobucket

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm glad to see that you are reassured in your mom wearing the dress she loves. I know how easy it is to get caught up in the "is it ok if I do this or that" that it almost seems you're walking on eggshells for your wedding, and it can be extremely overwhelming.
    I am sure your mother will see that she can wear that dress and feel beautiful in it!
    ~He is the best part of my day~ Wedding Countdown Ticker image
  • I think its so cute!  Im in a wedding in July and we are wearing Navy and the MOB is wearing a darker blue. WHatever works. there is no reason for her to be worried. All will look great!
  • edited March 2012
    Actually, I think it's a really cute idea.  It looks like she wanted to go with the wedding theme/colors too.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • GiGiV2012GiGiV2012 member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited March 2012
    I love the dress and see no problems about it. Your mom deserves to look beautiful too. It's a special day for the both of you :)
  • I wouldn't worry about it - if it's the dress she likes, then let her get it. The colors aren't exact and the dresses are completely different styles.
    September 2012 Siggy Challenge: Favorite Thing about October-Yankees Playoffs! image
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Thank you everyone! :] We're going back to the shop to buy the dress this week.
    Photobucket

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I think she looks fantastic in the dress! And I like the idea of her dress coordinating with the BP. My mom's dress was a different color from the BP but had a flower detail similar to my gown and the BM's gowns. It looked great in pictures, and I really don't think anyone noticed but me! Lol.
  • Thank you! Yeah, it's amazing how we analyze every little detail bc it's our wedding but it's everyone else is a little oblivious to it.. lol. I can't wait to go find the dress, now we just have to track down her size.
    Photobucket

Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards