African American Weddings

Wedding Wasn't 'All That'

Hi Ladies,

I'm an knottie for a while ago so I'm sure most of you don't remember me but this is the only place I could come to Vent. DH and I got married in Oct. We had planned to get married in May 2010. Welp, we found out that I was pregnant in August and that our baby is due at the end of April, two weeks before our big day. So, we moved the wedding up nixed the catered wedding at a pretty eclectic museum on the waterfront. We opted for a church wedding at the church I grew up in and a tent reception in my sister's backyard. My sister has what I call a McMansion. :-)

Maybe it's the pregnancy hormones and don't get me wrong, I was soooo happy that day and immediately after, but I can't shake the little nagging regrets of not having the wedding we planned. I never saw myself as a backyard tent wedding kinda girl but we made the best of it. We spent about 1/3 of what we would have spent, which is great with the new addition coming. And we tried to make it a nice, classy affair. People told me the food was great, people danced and told me things were simple, felt intimate and were nice. I just wonder if it coulda been nicer. DH thinks things were great, my BFF said we coulda used more room in the tent.  I guess I don't have a question per se but just needed to get this off my chest.

Re: Wedding Wasn't 'All That'

• ladylumladylum member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    I remember you! Congratulations on your marriage! As for not having your dream wedding, the important thing happened, you married the man you are going to spend life with. If it makes you feel better, you can always do a vow renewal with all the things you wanted to do with your wedding.
  • edited December 2011
    I definitely remember you. Congrats on your wedding! I know how you feel about the regrets but really the most important thing happened as pp'r said, YOU MARRIED THE MAN YOU WANT TO SPEND THE REST OF YOUR LIFE WITH. Everything else right now is really not that important. If you want the wedding of your dreams, have a vow renewal and plan for that dream wedding. Anything is possible if you set your mind to it. Don't be so hard on yourself. You have so much to smile about. You have a new hubby and in a few months you will have a new addition to that union. HTH
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • tamtam7tamtam7 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Your wedding sounds awesome to me!  I love the intimacy of it all.  I agree with the previous posters, the most important thing is that you are married to someone that you intend to spend the rest of your life with and you are planning a wonderful life together.  Oh!  And ya gotta love the fact that you saved money too.

• Lady RedrumLady Redrum member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks ladies. I love the idea of a vow renewal later on!
  • edited December 2011

Maybe you could plan and save for a vow renewal ceremony in about 5 years and have the wedding you dreamed of at that time.

• edited December 2011
    I remember you, too!!!! Congrats on the wedding. To be completely honest... I'm thinking it's the hormones Foot in mouth They're probably doing a real number on your emotions and mental clarity right now. I'm sure the event was beautiful. In fact, if you have time, I would love to see some pics (as I'm sure the other ladies would, too).

The important thing is that you've married your lifemate ANNNND you're family will be a cohesive unit in April. Everyone in your family will have the same last name!! (Not knocking anyone with children out of wedlock!!)

ANNNND you can now completely justify doing an all-out vow renewal in a few years. How cute will your little one be as a flower girl or ring bearer? TOO CUTE, I tell you.... Too cute!
  • edited December 2011
    Hey there and welcome back. Congrats on the new addition. If you weren't as satisfied as you would have been then plan something better. Plan something like what you wanted and had envisioned. Maybe it will take some time with the baby coming but don't regret it for so long. At least you are married and that is all that matters.
    Lovin Kimmie
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards