September 2013 Weddings

Picking a DJ

So we met with two DJ's this week.

Monday we met with a guy who owns the Production Company. Its his own business and does this professionally. He was super nice, obviously had all the appropriate credentials and was pretty legit. However, he's got prices to match.

Then last night we met with two guys that the coordinator of another venue recomemnded to us. They have day jobs and DJ on the side. They are both club DJ's who've also done weddings. We are looking for a "club" atmosphere for the dance part of the evening. SO they fit right into our idea of what we want to do. They are much cheaper. AND Have even DJ'ed our venue before.

So now I feel stuck. I'm not sure who to choose. I love to save money and when planning a wedding saving anywhere I can is awesome. They both seem to be able to offer what were looking for. They are both knowledge able and seem to know what they are talking about. The only difference is one is a professional the other guys are kinda just doing this for fun on the side. How do I choose?!
~~Sept 2013 Brides - January Siggy - Floral Inspiration~~ Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Picking a DJ

• I think you have to go with your gut on this one.  You said the others  have done weddings before.  How many?  Do they have references?  Maybe you could see if you could talk to one of the other brides and get a feel for how they did.
  • Are you able to listen to sample mixes from either group? Sometimes wedding DJs can be a bit cheesy -- maybe a club DJ would be less so? It was important to us not to have an "i-pod" DJ, but someone who actually mixes music so there isn't dead air... IDK, if you want more of a club atmosphere, I say go with the cheaper guys. When FI and I first got engaged, if we were out at a bar with a DJ we liked, we would get his card and ask if he did weddings. A lot of these guys can't help but have day jobs because DJing seems like it would be a pretty difficult industry to break into unless you primarily did weddings...
     Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Yeah, we went with a DJ that our venue had recommended and they seemed very professional, but all have day jobs on top of it.  It's just a side thing they did.  We just kind of went ahead and booked them.

I would definitely ask for references for the 'cheaper' DJ or hear a sample for sure!
  • Go with #2 - anyone who can spin great music is good.
    Daring to dream a bigger dream
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards