Pre-wedding Parties

Do We Need an Engagement Party?

My fiance wouldn't mind an engagement party (just for the families), and I of course, would love one! If his mom allows us thier new house space, we can have a potluck dinner, but my mom's wondering what the purpose of this kind of party is (considering there's already other celebrations for the event). It's a slight stress to her with all of the other events this year (including birthdays and graduation), but it would barely cost anything. My Maid of Honor will be doing the majority of the the work for the bridal events, so would it be much to ask our moms for an engagement party?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Do We Need an Engagement Party?

• edited December 2011
    Nope. You don't. We didn't have one and i'm glad we didn't just because peole do so much for you closer to the wedding that's plenty for us.

Plus anyone you invite to an engagement party, you need to invite to the wedding, so if you're unsure on size of wedding or budget you may want to not have one or have a very small one.

Plus if you have one, it should be done in your honor. You shouldn't throw it for yourself or ask some one to do it.
    LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_pre-wedding-parties_need-engagement-party?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:32Discussion:c2b1c13a-5e13-4fc9-a09f-769660035742Post:9ac45125-466a-401d-974a-152c7aa0a7fe">Re: Do We Need an Engagement Party?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Nope. <strong>You don't</strong>. We didn't have one and i'm glad we didn't just because peole do so much for you closer to the wedding that's plenty for us. Plus anyone you invite to an engagement party, you need to invite to the wedding, so if you're unsure on size of wedding or budget you may want to not have one or have a very small one. <strong>Plus if you have one, it should be done in your honor. You shouldn't throw it for yourself or ask some one to do it</strong>.
    Posted by dramaz[/QUOTE]

Ditto.  You do not need one, and you most certainly should not ask for one. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_pre-wedding-parties_need-engagement-party?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:32Discussion:c2b1c13a-5e13-4fc9-a09f-769660035742Post:ee9d19f1-ea34-4f1a-9c62-8ea153f4c81d">Re: Do We Need an Engagement Party?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Do We Need an Engagement Party? : Ditto.  You do not need one, and you most certainly should not ask for one. 
    Posted by Allycat11[/QUOTE]

Agree with both PPs.
    We didn't have one.
  • hoffsehoffse member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    I'll be honest - I hate engagement parties.  I much prefer going to a nice restaurant with close family or something to celebrate.  I guess I've just seen too many brides open to all of those awkward wedding questions from a bunch of different sides all at once, since the engagement is the entire point.  Some people think you "have" to have them, but no, you don't.  And you don't ask somebody else to host it.  And if I had to bring my own food to an engagement party, I wouldn't come unless we were VERY close friends.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • L&J2012L&J2012 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm pretty sure our "engagement party" was my parents inviting us and his parents over to their house for dinner. As far as I know, no one's planning one for us and I don't really see the point to them. Asking for an engagement party is akin to asking for gifts.
    Photobucket Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    Maybe I'll get all the parents, grandparents to go out for dinner with us.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards