Chit Chat

Job fairs...

went to my frist job fiar today. I didn't feel like I got a whole lot out of it, it seemed more like mass chaos to me. Any one else even been to one?
image165 Invited
image9 are ready to party
image0 Aren't coming
image156 Can't find their mail box
RSVP Deadline: September 19th

I will make mistakes
I will face heartache
On Christ the Solid Rock I stand All other ground is sinking sand I will not be moved Wedding Countdown Ticker
Planning Bio/ Blog

Re: Job fairs...

• I've been to a few and I agree they were a total waste of time.  Never got even a call back.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I went to one years ago.  I quit the job I got after three days.
    AKA GoodLuckBear14
  • I work with individual's seeking employment. I never encourage them to go to job fairs. They're a waste of time.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I work in HR and for a couple of years I was a recruiter, so I was responsible for putting together a team and going to these events.

In terms of immediately finding a job, they're a waste of time. We went because it's important to keep the company's name visible in the community, but often we weren't hiring and if we were hiring, we would talk to so many people who are clearly unsuitable for the company that when someone good did come along, we were too tired and jaded to recognize it.

HOWEVER, it can be an invaluable networking opportunity if you do it right. If you're engaging and personable and make some connections with recruiters in your field, those people will often hear about job opportunities at other companies that are not advertised. If you have a good relationship with them, they'll think of you when they see the right opportunity come along.

They're also helpful for getting advice on your resume. Look for recruiters in your field who are not too busy, and ask them to critique your resume and tell you what they look for in candidates. We see so many terrible resumes and the people who belong to them act like they know everything - to be asked for advice is really refreshing and most recruiters I know would happily give you a few pointers and insider tips.

Try to look at a job fair as a tool to help your search and an opportunity to network and gain some interviewing skills. It likely won't help you get a job right away unless you're absolutely stellar in your field, but it can help you learn how to appear stellar. :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards