Honeymoon Discussions

Bermuda?

My fiance really wants us to do our honeymoon in Bermuda.  Does anyone have any suggestions on great hotels?  I was looking at all inclusives, but there doesn't seem to be any good AIs in Bermuda.  Any suggestions?  We want somewhere on the beach, with good food, big modern rooms.  Thanks!

Re: Bermuda?

• PS
    I'm not completely sold on Bermuda.  I would like to do something in the Carribean, and I know he wants somewhere with some history.  He likes weird history (which I think is why he is so into Bermuda-for the triangle).  Other nearby suggestions are also welcome!
  • We married in Bermuda!!!  Oh, I love love loved it there.

There are no AIs.  I'm really anti-AI so I'm just going to skip right over that :-)

We married and honeymooned at The Reefs - www.thereefs.com. It's steep in price, but it's on the more high end of where you can stay on the island.  Breakfast is included in the rate.  The staff is top notch.  I have literally nothing bad to say about the place.  If you want to see some pictures, you can check out my married bio (link in sig).

Okay, there are many many places to stay that are more realistic in budget.  We had family stay at the Fairmount Southhamptom Princess, which was just down the road from The Reefs.  There are also many offerings in Hamilton and more interior of the island.  Pick up a Fordor's Bermuda book and then start looking at the places on line.  Then look at activities.  There is so much to do!

The island is small and very easy to get around.  Taxis are abundant.  You can buy day passes for the bus system.  We went from tip to tip both in vehicles and bicycles (back roads and trails).

Don't rent a moped.

There is more to do than a regular Caribbean island, which is why I enjoyed it so much.  We saw the Crystal Caves, all the old wartime forts, the zoo and the lighthouse.  We also swam with dolphins and would have gone snorkeling/glassbottom canoeing had we had more time!  We were there for ten days and never ran out of things to do. 

I loved it there.  No complaints.  Here's a pretty picture:

• I was there on a cruise, so I have no advice as far as hotels, but I second the Crystal Caves - it was amazing!
    Follow Me (and my wedding!) on Pinterest
    50 in 2012 Reading Challenge: 2 books read
    my read shelf:

Katie Rizzo's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • kks4471kks4471 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment First Anniversary
    edited February 2013

Our HM was in Bermuda, and we had a wonderful time there!  Beautiful beaches, and fun attractions like the crystal caves.  We went snorkeling and took a glass bottom boat tour too.  The resort we stayed at was Newstead Belmont Hills, right on the harbour.  Excellent accommodations and service, the room was lovely.  We used Bernuda's bus system for easy transport around the island, never rented a moped.  We definitely recommend the island!
    Here's Horseshoe Bay (we climbed a cliff to take this picture):

ETA:  I just saw your location is Boston.  We flew out of Logan on JetBlue directly to Bermuda for a very reasonable price, I think around $110 per person per flight.

Photobucket Anniversary
  • We went on vacation and stayed at a B&B that probably wouldn't be best for a honeymoon (but was lovely and wonderful for vacation!). I disagree with the "don't rent a scooter" stand- we rent one every time we go to Bermuda and have had no issues.  If you want to ride the bus or take taxis I'm sure it's great but the scooters are fun and we always found that the other drivers were respectful and careful around us :)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_bermuda-8?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:11Discussion:8ab2b40f-18e2-48b6-9dcf-492520d2405cPost:82fef724-0f96-44c4-ad2c-3af3b273cdf0">Re: Bermuda?</a>:
    [QUOTE]We went on vacation and stayed at a B&B that probably wouldn't be best for a honeymoon (but was lovely and wonderful for vacation!). I disagree with the "don't rent a scooter" stand- we rent one every time we go to Bermuda and have had no issues.  If you want to ride the bus or take taxis I'm sure it's great but the scooters are fun and we always found that the other drivers were respectful and careful around us :)
    Posted by FMIL12[/QUOTE]

The island is veeeery congested now.  Even the locals and scooter rental companies are asking that tourists don't rent mopeds.  If you live in America, it can be difficult to wrap your head around driving on the other side of the road.  I'd rather spend my vacation not in the hospital.  As it was, I got wicked road rash from falling off a bike.  I can't imagine what I would have had happen had I fallen off a moped.

Some people are okay on them, but some aren't and need to know their limits.
  • In Response to Re:Bermuda?:[QUOTE]PSI'm not completely sold on Bermuda.nbsp; I would like to do something in the Carribean, and I know he wants somewhere with some history.nbsp; He likes weird history which I think is why he is so into Bermudafor the triangle.nbsp; Other nearby suggestions are also welcome! Posted by LaineEtc[/QUOTE]

I'd also love to go to Bermuda, but if you want a Carribean option with history to consider I'd look at Puerto Rico. No AIs, but very reasonable prices in general.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards