Not Engaged Yet

Oh how I love my college...

I just don't understand why they can't have more sections of classes :( I'm going to be a senior in January, and I register tomorrow morning, but the classes I need are already closed!!! I better be able to graduate on time!! This is so fustrating and of course they can't over-ride the classes becasue they're capped due to "space".
Anniversary

Re: Oh how I love my college...

• motoLynmotoLyn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Its not just you, its every student!  Budget cuts have schools cutting back on sections.  Best to have a chat with your advisor to see what needs to be done JUST in case you can't get the classes that you need.  Have a back up plan, and be prepapred to finish in the summer rather than the spring.  Good luck! 
  • edited December 2011
    It stinks because one of the classes I need- my advisor is teaching it so I thought she'd maybe give a "helping hand"... not quite!! The department chair said though that everything should be offered again in the fall (I'm a December graduate). Boo :( So much for no Friday classes... darn!
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    That sucks. I register next week and I'm starting a new track of my major and I'm worried I won't be able to get everything I need.
  • jemmini6jemmini6 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    Oh how I don't miss being in college anymore.  I was lucky though because my major had an 'upper division' in which you had to apply to (if you didn't get in, you either had to change your major and reapply in a year).  They accept 45 into the upper division and have a set schedule.  You need this class, it's offered at this time, there are 45 seats for the 45 students.  It was kind of nice because not only was I guaranteed a spot in each class, but the 45 of us took every class together for 2 years, so we all became pretty good friends.

I did find out today though that tuition at my alma mater has DOUBLED since I was a freshman...and that was only 5 or 6 years ago...crazy budget cuts.
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    Buh. I had the same problem. I was going to graduate a year earlier than expected, but I have to push it back a semester because they aren't offering the classes when I need them. It's really frustrating.
    Anniversary
  • bethsmilesbethsmiles member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    I register next week. Usually there is space when I register but if there isn't I just show up on the first day of class and the professor lets me in. And if that doesn't work people always drop the class. Also fun tip for next time, find out if a friend of yours registers before you because then they can sign up for the class you need to "hold" your spot and then drop it when you register. I've done that for a couple of people before.

• deburnindeburnin member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I was a transfer student. I never got the classes I wanted and almost didn't graduate on time because I kept getting blocked out of required classes. I had to take 18 credits my last two semesters. I seriously regret ever transferring but the only reason I did was because my original school eliminated my program. Undergrad was a waste of time and money. They just started their creative writing program the year before I transferred and it sucked

I'm so glad I'm done with grad school in December so I get to avoid the registering nightmare this year.
    ~*~Sept 2013 Siggy Challange - Then (2005) & Now (2012)~*~
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    Somebody once said, it's the soul that matters. Baby who can really tell, when two hearts belong so well?
    Tale as Old as Time (Updated 11/26) Wedding Countdown Ticker
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_oh-love-college?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:1742af8b-1ad9-4ca1-99a6-befc3814d1adPost:baf80ed8-163a-44f3-8fe7-590cca31ed76">Re: Oh how I love my college...</a>:
    [QUOTE]I register next week. Usually there is space when I register but if there isn't I just show up on the first day of class and the professor lets me in. And if that doesn't work people always drop the class. <strong>Also fun tip for next time, find out if a friend of yours registers before you because then they can sign up for the class you need to "hold" your spot and then drop it when you register. I've done that for a couple of people before.</strong>
    Posted by bethsmiles[/QUOTE]

<div>At my school they would deregister you if you did this and apparently penalize you (the spot holder) the next semester, i.e. you'd register later. Dunno how they found out. I'm assuming seeing the time you dropped and your friend added.</div>
    Somebody once said, it's the soul that matters. Baby who can really tell, when two hearts belong so well?
  • edited December 2011
    At my undergrad, if you can't get into a class you NEED to graduate, they force the professors to let you in the class.  

Talk to your advisor/the department head.  Make a big deal out of it.  If necessary, threaten to take the class at another college to save yourself the money.  You'd be shocked how quickly people respond to threats that hit them in the wallet.
  • bethsmilesbethsmiles member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_oh-love-college?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:1742af8b-1ad9-4ca1-99a6-befc3814d1adPost:9d886f44-7ef2-4fbc-93b4-e28ce16681f3">Re: Oh how I love my college...</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Oh how I love my college... : At my school they would deregister you if you did this and apparently penalize you (the spot holder) the next semester, i.e. you'd register later. Dunno how they found out. I'm assuming seeing the time you dropped and your friend added.
    Posted by deburnin[/QUOTE]

Yeah they really don't care at my school. I've never heard of anyone not getting into a class they need at my school though

First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_oh-love-college?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:1742af8b-1ad9-4ca1-99a6-befc3814d1adPost:72630055-3744-4ba5-a576-db8ea6ec69b2">Re: Oh how I love my college...</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Oh how I love my college... : Yeah they really don't care at my school. I've never heard of anyone not getting into a class they need at my school though
    Posted by bethsmiles[/QUOTE]

<div>My school seemed to take pleasure in making it so that transfer students couldn't graduate on time. It was like our punishment for not coming to them for our first X amount of semesters and cheating them out of money. Higher education has made me very bitter and cynical.</div>
  • Starlight KelStarlight Kel member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Man, reading your stories makes me that much more upset about college.  I seriously can't stand my college and am so happy I'm graduating in May!  I have 2 classes left and I get to register on Monday, only problem is they don't even have the schedule posted yet with the classes offered.  I like to research the professors ahead of time so I don't get stuck with a d-bag. 

OP- I hope they work out something for you, I can't imagine them not!!
  • marleylikeairmarleylikeair member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ugh! I remember that. Definitely try to go on the first day, introduce yourself, and tell the prof how much you want to take his/her class! When I ran into this problem, I emailed the profs and asked their permission to override (have one extra student in the class). It worked. The dept. heads didn't like that--supposedly they were trying to protect adjunct faculty from taking on too much of a load, which is reasonable. Okay--but this is the same administration that wouldn't count all my transfer credits so I could register with all the other seniors instead of having underclassmen swipe my spots. (The only reason they didn't take them was because I would have ended up with EXTRA fine arts/studio credits when I graduated. Uhhh...who cares?) Good luck, hon! Kill 'em with kindness and you just might get your way. :)
  • Blue & WhiteBlue & White member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    It's even worse when you're a teacher and don't know what classes you're teaching ;)

BUT when I was a student, which wasn't so long ago, my undergrad (and grad school) had a wait-list for most classes.  I'd advise getting on the wait-list ASAP.  And stalking the registration page until you can get yourself in.  And showing up to class on the first day in case someone else doesn't (if they drop no-shows at your school.)

Not sure why you register so late if you're a senior though.  At my undergrad, it was honors students and then most credits to least credits.  Odd.
    I guess, to tell you the truth, I've never had much of a desire to grow facial hair. I think I've managed to play quarterback just fine without a mustache. - Peyton
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards