Texas-Dallas and Ft. Worth
Options

Wedding Dress Shopping...

So I'm setting my first dress appt. at Davids Bridal for next Saturday and I am a little nervous.

Do anybody have any pointers or suggestions on where to buy dresses or how should I match the bridesmaids to my dress? Also my wedding is in the summer, so does that mean we should all wear short dresses? 
Soon to be MR. & MRS. ANTHONY PRICE JR! Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Wedding Dress Shopping...

• Options
    Dont be Nervous it is so much fun! A few pointers would be:
    -be open to anything (its good to have a few ideas or pictures but I ended up picking something totally different)
    -do not take too many people with you, it will get overwhelming
    -go to multiple places, I thought I had found the dress until I went to another store
    -do not try on anything you cannot afford

For bridesmaid dresses, I do not think it matters since it is summer. I see longer dresses being more formal. Remember to pick a dress that is flattering on the figures of all your bridesmaids.

• Options
    fallbride1109fallbride1109 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited February 2013
    I love short BM dresses in the summer but if you're having a more formal evening wedding, long is still acceptable.  And yours can most certainly be long.

There are lots of great bridal shops in Dallas so don't think that DB is your only option.

When I went BM dress shopping, we went to Alfred Angelo where I bought my dress and I put on the sample of my dress while my BMs tried on dresses.  I was having trouble visualizing how it would look and that helped.  The one thing I quickly learned was that since my dress was silk, lighter fabrics like organza did not look good next to it.  We ended up choosing long satin dresses for my fall wedding which looked great.

The other thing I learned is that colors (including shades of white) vary greatly depending on the fabric used.  The same shade of blue will look totally different on a satin dress than on a taffeta one.

Just some things to keep in mind.  Have fun and don't get discouraged if you don't find something on the first visit--it might take a couple of appointments to find "the one."
  • Options
    Pointers: bring a bottle of water and have a light snack beforehand (dress shopping can get exhausting really quickly, especially if you haven't eaten)!

Is your wedding going to be outdoors? If so, I would definitely recommend short dresses because it is going to be ridiculously hot. If not, it's really up to you but your BM's would probably still be more comforable in short since it is summer. Just because you put them in short doesn't mean that you also have to wear short though (unless you want to).

TBH, I didn't pay much attention to the BM's dresses matching mine. The main thing I would be worried about is the level of formality matching. Meaning, if you're wearing a huge ball gown they probably won't look good next to you in short halter dresses, and vice-versa.

You can probably use the search function to find another thread with bridal shops, but some of the common suggestions are Mockingbird Bridal, Lewisville Bridal, Circle Park Bridal, Bliss Bridal, Pence and Panache, and Terry Costa (just to name a few).
    Anniversary
  • Options
    Like PPs, I didn't really worry too much about the BM dresses matching.  I had a few busty bridesmaids so I was more concerned with finding something that they were a) comfortable in and b) not popping out of.  I think it matters much more what kind of "look" you are going for.

Several girls have found BM dresses at Limited and JCrew, and I know Loft does bridesmaids dresses online, too.

I also second the water.  Mockingbird Bridal had cold water on hand for us, but that was the only place we went that took that extra step.
    Anniversary

• Options
    Davids Bridal will be super busy on Saturday, they take appointments but people can also go in wothout appointments and it's overwhelming, so i agree the less ppl with you the better.

I also agree with keeping an open mind and dont rule out any style (unless it's too fancy for your venue) meaning you might not think you like the mermiad style but try one on anyway you might find that its suits your body really well.

Like the others said DO NOT TRY ON DRESSES THAT ARE OUT OF BUDGET!!! If you fall in love with a dres you cant have it's going to make the process really difficult if other dresses just dont comparer in your eyes.

Good luck and have fun!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards