Wedding Reception Forum

Fresh Reception Entertainment Ideas?

We are getting married 10/22/2011 and the clock is ticking to book vendors! I have held off on the DJ/Music because I really don't know if a dj is the way to go. We don't have a huge budget, like to keep it under $2000. I am a fun energetic person that likes to have a good time, and so is my family! Anyone have any thoughts about keeping the party fresh and entertaining without breaking the bank? Maybe fun things you've seen other DJs do, like dance contests or something... Any suggestions will help!

Re: Fresh Reception Entertainment Ideas?

• Some people choose to create a playlist and use that to save money but I think you could find an affordable DJ under $2K but you may want to check your local board to verify that... 
  • I would interview DJs in your area and see what kind of ideas they have and what they do to get people dancing and give you the feel you are looking for.  I don't know that you need dance contests and games, though.  I would probably go back and sit in my seat if the DJ announced a contest or coke and pepsi or something.  
  • I think that the dj is one place where you DO want to put your money.  A good dj knows how to read a crowd and see what makes them party.  A good dj can change up styles to suit the group he's working for.

IMO, a good dj can make a good party great, while a bad dj can ruin even a good party.

As for dance contests and the like:  I'd be leaving the dance floor.  I think you treat your guests like the adults they are.  They'll dance when they choose to.  They'll chat, mingle, catch up with family and friends that they haven't seen in awhile, and enjoy food and drink. 

When you start putting in "entertainment" I actually think you stop the natural flow of the party.

GL
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_fresh-reception-entertainment-ideas?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:d8e7acae-ac8c-461f-baad-76921d6d61e3Post:58cbe1a7-9bc5-425f-9734-353d98315e50">Re: Fresh Reception Entertainment Ideas?</a>:
    [QUOTE]As for dance contests and the like:  I'd be leaving the dance floor.  I think you treat your guests like the adults they are.  They'll dance when they choose to.Posted by trix1223[/QUOTE]
    THIS!!!!!!
    BabyFruit Ticker boots badgeDaisypath Anniversary tickers Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards