Pennsylvania

Intro & Bachelorette Party ideas needed (kinda long)

I'm Amy and my FI is Eric. We've been together for almost 5 years and have been engaged for about 3 1/2 of that time. Our wedding is Oct. 16th and like everyone else we are sooo excited. I teach during the year, so I'm planning on putting myself into major wedding mode over the summer to finish up all the details and things that take more time. Oh, and we are in the Scranton area.  I think that's it but let me know if I left anything out! :)
So my question....  I've got 8 BMs, a few of them are out of town. All of them seem to have gotten off on the wrong step with communication so I had to jump in and help make peace once. It seems that they have gotten back on board and were talking and communicating much better but now comes the topic of Bach Party. In my personal opinion, I don't have a major preference in what to do.... especially taking time and financial constraints into consideration. (I mean I would say lets do camping and rock climbing/ropes course stuff, or a wine tour, or something different). The OOT girls will be arriving on Friday and probably leaving on Sunday in July. They told me that my shower will be that Saturday morning at 11am and will probably last about 4 hours.  Oh and I almost forgot, one of the girls may be "taking off" with an idea that she has but no one else really knows about and so she isn't really taking them or their finances into consideration. 
Anyone have any ideas that might be different and still provide bonding time?
Any ideas for things to help all of them be able to get to know eachother a little better while they are in town?
Also, any way to rein in the one girl who seems to want to do everything (probably more extravagant than needed) without offending her? (She shares the MOH position with another girl.... I didn't realize she'd be like that before asking though!)
Amy & Eric 10-16-10

Re: Intro & Bachelorette Party ideas needed (kinda long)

• edited December 2011
    Firstly, welcome!

Secondly...I'm not sure what exactly you're looking for...

That is a huge number of BM and so of course there will be problems.  As for your BM who is doing things without talking to the others, I assume she's you're friend ... so talk to her as a friend.  let her know the others want to be included or that they can't afford things or whatever the issue is.  I really don't know what the problem is.  

Although....you as the bride aren't supposed to be involved in planning the party, I understand your want to help.  You mention things from wine tours to camping -- which are (to me) extremes in the financial area.  Maybe something like a class (wine tasting class or art class or pottery painting or cooking class or pole dancing..) that would provide structure and a clear price point (a wine tasting upstate will range in price depending on how many places you hit, how much they want, etc.  

Or you could do the normal dinner and bars -- maybe a Dave and Busters for dinner so that people could play before/after dinner too.

Again, I'm not really sure what sort of ideas you're looking for -- your girls have planned a shower that is normal in timing and length so I would assume THEY could do this since it's their job to throw you one, not you.  You don't throw your own party.

good luck.
  • edited December 2011
    Oh... okay, exactly my point. Let me clarify. I would be thrilled to do anything as long as I get to spend time with my closest friends and just have a good time. I have told them that several times... I have even thrown it out there that I don't care about having a Bach Party, that I'd like them to keep it simple as I know some or at least most of them are dealing with their own financial strains. 

I'm not technically supposed to know that the one girl is trying to run away with an idea that may end up costing a little more than most can afford. My other MOH (I have two) came to me and let me know that some of the other girls (where communication was difficult early on) have been opening up and talking to her more  and that they are feeling overwhelmed with all of the ideas and financial aspect of it.  So she was coming to me and asking what I wanted to do and the issue apparently is the fact that it really doesn't matter to me. Simple is fine with me as long as I get to just have fun with my girls. I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to not have any say other then "please don't make me do anything trashy or too out of control that would offend my FI" but she is approaching me for specifics, which I really don't have.

Some of the specific things that I would like to do or have thought of as specifics are the things I mentioned earlier (but I don't want to throw them out there b/c I know that a lot of them involve more time and money then seems to be available. 
    Amy & Eric 10-16-10
  • edited December 2011
    ah - gotcha.

Talk to this girl who isn't communicating.  Let her know you appreciate what she's doing but that other girls may not be able to afford her ideas.  She probably doesn't realize that fact.

How about bowling or karaoke (korean style if you could so its just you girls in the room) or something like that followed by a bar or two?

• edited December 2011
    Ooooh, that sounds fun too!!!! Thanks for the help!!!!!
    Amy & Eric 10-16-10
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards