Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Bridesmaid dress fitting at bride's fitting?

My bridesmaid wants us to go together to get our dresses fitted but I kind of think this is rude. Isnt the bride supposed to have her own fitting? I dont care if she goes with me to my fitting but dont you think its a little rude to get her fitting done at my fitting?

Re: Bridesmaid dress fitting at bride's fitting?

• Options
    Meh, I don't see the problem. Saves time and a trip to the bridal store.
  • Options
    No I do not think it is rude at all.
  • Options
    its a fitting.....its not like you are winning an Oscar..... eh i think its fine.
  • Options
    I'm not sure what the issue is here.  Personally I'd like another person's opinion at my fitting.  I would be psyched if my bm wanted to come.
  • Options
    I don't think it's rude.  She's going to be there with you, and your fitting is going to take longer than hers is (most likely).  It saves her a trip to the salon later.

Books read in 2012: 21/50

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• Options
    Does it really matter, you are just going to try on your dress and get it pinned. I don't understand how this is rude, or how fittings came to be an "event" rather than a simple errand. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    I don't think it's rude at all.
  • Options
  • Options
    Not a big deal at all.  It's a fun thing to do together, and saves a trip to the salon.
  • Options
    I don't see a problem. You both need to get your dresses fitted, so it makes sense to do them both at the same time, right?
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I don't think it is rude. It kills two birds with one stone. And it allows you to be with her and her to be with you. If this is not what you want, then kindly tell her so. I am sure she will understand.

If you do plan on doing the fittings together, I would just confirm with the seamstress ahead of time of your plans so she can book accordingly.
  • Options
    No, I totally don't think its rude.

In fact, my first fitting is on Saturday, and my MOH is coming with me at the same time for her first fitting. 
  • Options
    Agree with PP - it logistically makes sense that you would get fitted for your dresses at the same time.  What's the big deal?
  • Options
    I took my sister/MOH with me to my fitting and she had her dress pinned also.  When I went to pick the dress up, I took her, my mother and MIL (who had not seen the dress) and my BM/daughter (who had a separate first fitting).  My BM and MOH picked up and tried on their dresses too.

I thought it was fun.
  • Options
    I think you have misconceptions about what a dress fitting is like.  You go in a room, put on the dress, and they pin it.  There is no big show, no pictures taken, and there is absolutely nothing that would be taken away by your BM trying on her dress at that same appointment.  
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Do you have your fitting all amped up in your head like it's going to be some wonderful event?  Because my fitting went like this.  I walked in.  I put my dress on.  My seamstress pinned it all and talked to me about my bustle.  I took it off.  It took about 15 minutes. 

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_bridesmaid-dress-fitting-brides-fitting?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:011ac6b6-13b4-4611-9a9e-9d48cf0e1fa3Post:d46499ad-f5ef-4b9c-bffd-54d71566a9b8">Re: Bridesmaid dress fitting at bride's fitting?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think you have misconceptions about what a dress fitting is like.  You go in a room, put on the dress, and they pin it.  There is no big show, no pictures taken, and there is absolutely nothing that would be taken away by your BM trying on her dress at that same appointment.  
    Posted by dnbeach12[/QUOTE]<div>Thank you. OP, its just an errand, not a rite of passage. Seriously. 

</div>
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    A friend of mine took pictures at my fitting, but only because my mother had wanted to go and see how the dress looked with the bustle, and she got the flu the day before my fitting.  The whole thing took about 20 minutes from start to finish.  It's pretty boring, except for getting to try on your dress again.

I don't know how you'd tell this girl that she can't have her fitting the same day, either.  "No, you can't get your dress done that day, because it's MY day to get fitted."  There's really no nice way to put it.

Books read in 2012: 21/50

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• Options
    I agree with PP's, this is just an errand, it's not an event.  I really don't understand what the big deal is....
    Anniversary
  • Options
    It's only rude if she's getting YOUR dress altered, too.  Sound crazy?  Cause it is.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    My sister and 2 of my nieces had their fittings at the same time.    It killed 2 birds with one stone and 20 minutes later we were having a nice lunch together.  

You are really over-thinking this errand.  Yep, it's just an errand.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    I don't see the big deal, and honestly think this "school of thought" is a tad bridezilla-ish.

I think it would be a fun afternoon to do this together. You obviously like this girl enough to have her in your WP. 
    Anniversary
  • Options
    My sister and I went together to get fitted for alterations for my wedding dress and her BM dress.  The lady was near my house, so we did that while we were doing some other stuff together on a Saturday afternoon.  NBD.
  • Options
    My MOH (my sister) actually picked out and tried on dresses when I went to look for my wedding dress.  Did it matter?  No, not at all.  I have great memories from that day and was glad to spend it with my sister and mom.
    Getting an autograph from UK's March Madness MVP image
  • Options
    OP, you might as well make a day of it and do the dress fitting, and then go to a nice lunch!

You can make the reservation for Bridezilla, party of one.
  • Options
    You are really confused as to what a fitting is aren't you? Just let your BM come with you and get her dress fitted as well. It saves everyone a trip and with gas prices the way they are saving every little bit can help immensely.
    Uploaded from the Photobucket Android App
  • Options
    It's a fitting. You put the dress on, get it pinned. She puts her dress on, gets it pinned. it's not like the seamstress isn't going to pay attention to you. Why do you need your "own" fitting? It's not your wedding day or anything. Go with it, and have fun.
  • Options
    Op never came back
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_bridesmaid-dress-fitting-brides-fitting?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:011ac6b6-13b4-4611-9a9e-9d48cf0e1fa3Post:fb3422d0-0ab2-4c76-8115-455af13a0ee9">Re: Bridesmaid dress fitting at bride's fitting?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Do you have your fitting all amped up in your head like it's going to be some wonderful event?  Because my fitting went like this.  I walked in.  I put my dress on.  My seamstress pinned it all and talked to me about my bustle.  I took it off.  It took about 15 minutes. 
    Posted by J&K10910[/QUOTE]

<div>It only took 15 min J&K?!  I was in my dress for an hour and a half.  Mind you I am having it rebuild so it's a good deal of work, but still.  </div>
  • Options
    Your fitting is not some big special OMG important moment. It's just altering your dress to get it to fit right. Your BM also has a dress that needs to be altered. For the same wedding. So yes, going together makes sense. Most people would think of it as fun to do together, not as her trying to hog your spotlight or attention or anything, since that seems to be the train of thought you have here. Be careful, you're tip-toeing the line of bridezilla territory.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards