Destination Weddings Discussions
Options

What do we want!

Of course you guys can't tell me what we want, but I guess we cannot decide if we should go somewhere familiar and special to us (like Jackson Hole) and splurge for a few days, or just go all out and make it a two week trip to somewhere totally new.  Do we invite anyone as witnesses?  Just keep it the two of us? Heck we even mentioned waiting until next summer and go back to the full wedding idea at our house!  Not sure I like that idea.

We're all over the place.  It's crazy.

Since we cannot preplan (waiting for other events to sadly unfold), I felt I should get on the wedding attire.  I have this urge to start on some part of the checklist - like my shoes, get my dress hemmed, get FI's suit and ring.  Then we'll have most of the stuff ready to go when we are ready to pick our location.  But it will be a DW, as in not in our current town or hometowns.

But I feel now I can't even pick shoes out (which in turn affects how long to hem the dress).  Is it going to be winter or summer when we do this!

I cannot describe how crazymaking this is.  I am good for a few days (as in not thinking about it), then I get antsy and have to reserach something.

BAH!

Re: What do we want!

• Options
    XML&MrPXML&MrP member
    First Comment
    You both should really sit down, first start with a budget, and then take all your ideas and everything from there. Your budget may affect your location, size of your wedding, dress, etc. Basically everything, what is the vision you or you both have of the wedding? Take it from there, it will all come together ;) good luck!!!
    - And all along I believed I would find you, time has brought your heart to me, I have loved you for a thousand years...I'll love you for a thousand more. Wedding Countdown Ticker LilySlim Weight loss tickers imageimage
  • Options
    ginadogginadog member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited May 2012
    I'm just rambling really. 

Well the dress(es) are purchased.  I already have 4 of them, but will resell the others. 

Budget is not the issue.  We at one point had a wedding planned and paid for in Jackson Hole, but cancelled it due to my father's shortened time frame on earth. We're currently focusing on flying home as often as we can to visit my father.  Once I've mourned and life resumes to normal somewhat, then we'll think about where to go.   I just get so antsy not knowing when that will be, or when I'll feel OK about getting married (and not a sad sorry soppy mess).

Not sure I ever want to plan a wedding with guests again.  My family was awfully rude and hurtful.  So really it could be wherever we want, on top of a mountain if we wanted.

I guess I'm trying to cope with all these unknowns and was trying to get our wedding attire ready as it was a nice little distraction.

Then my little distraction -  the only think I could techinically work on - got complicated becasue of shoes and weather.  Oy.
  • Options

I'm sorry to see you going through this. I hope you and your family find peace with what is happening and things go smoothly over the next few months.

If it were me, I would probably go somewhere slightly familiar, so that you know where you want to have the ceremony and such without needing a ton of planning. But not a place that you go to often. You want the place to hold special meaning to you and not be so common that seeing it doesn't remind you of your wedding. Hopefully that makes sense.

I think getting everything ready so that you can get away quickly is a good idea. You don't seem like the type of lady to wear heels often. Why don't you go with flats or sandals? Those are shoes that you would get a lot of wear out of even if you didn't wear them to your wedding and they are the same length so that you don't have to worry about different length hems.

• Options
    ginadogginadog member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited May 2012
    Thank you niknik!  You hit the nail on the head.

I was thinking Jackson Hole.  We do love it there, it's 3.5 hours away, but we go maybe 0-2 a year?  Yet close enough we could visit on our anniversary.  

We always camp when we go to Jackson, so splurging for a wedding trip (hotel, photographer, gourmet dinner) is what I was thinking of.  I had grand visions of a 2 week road trip to Banff Canada, but I dont' think we can pull that off this year given the events that are going to take place. Definitely not a last minute kind of place (Banff).  I think we could in Jackson, since I already had the officiant/photographer correspondence from the original wedding.  Plus we'd go midweek to avoid the major wedding weekends.

You're right - I don't wear heels often (haha, how'd you guess!), but I do like them.  I was thinking of getting some nude/beige ruffly heel because I need a summery heel anyway to wear with nice sundresses.  I'm just a practical gal deep down.  I'd like for them to be rewearable, yet a little special.

Well, since I need a summery heel anyway, and I know I'm good in 2.5' heels normally, maybe I'll just continue looking for my shoes, and get the dress hemmed afterwards.
  • Options
    jtolyjtoly member
    First Comment
    edited May 2012
    I think that's a great idea. If your up for just the two of you going away then go for it. I loved eloping and not having to worry about anyone else, just my groom. I had the time of my life!
    ~jenn~ Photobucket Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards