Military Brides

Recipes

Hey ladies,

Wanna share some recipes? I feel like I'm bored with our meals. I'll post a few as I find them on my computer. I'll also let you know if they are one of our "healthy" meals.
imageBabyFruit Ticker

Re: Recipes

• LetsHikeTodayLetsHikeToday member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Texas Style Casserole (Weight watchers recipe, 5 points)

Ingredients

1 spray(s) olive oil cooking spray   
     2 cup(s) frozen hash brown potatoes   
      1 cup(s) frozen corn kernels, thawed   
      1 cup(s) frozen pepper strips, thawed   
     8 oz raw turkey sausage, thinly sliced   
      1 cup(s) fat-free skim milk   
      2 large egg(s)   
     1/4 tsp table salt   
     1/4 tsp black pepper   
     3/4 cup(s) low-fat shredded cheddar cheese   

Instructions

Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a medium square or rectangular baking dish with cooking spray.

Place potatoes and then vegetables in baking dish; top with sausage.

In a small bowl, beat together milk, eggs, salt and pepper; pour over sausage and then sprinkle with cheese.

Bake until casserole is hot and cheese is browned, about 45 minutes. Cut into 6 pieces and serve.

imageBabyFruit Ticker
    edited December 2011
    This is also weight watchers (5 points).

Cheeseburger Casserole

Ingredients

2 spray(s) cooking spray   
      2 large uncooked Yukon Gold potato(es), boiled or steamed whole, drained and cooled   
     1 clove(s) (medium) garlic clove(s), minced   
      1 small onion(s), chopped   
      1 small green pepper(s), chopped   
      1 cup(s) mushroom(s), sliced   
     1 pound(s) uncooked ground turkey breast   
     1/8 tsp Durkee ground cumin, or other brand   
     1/4 tsp table salt   
     1/8 tsp black pepper, freshly ground   
     2 oz Kraft Velveeta Light Reduced-Fat Pasteurized Processed Cheese Product, or similar product, cubed   
     1/4 cup(s) low-fat evaporated milk   
     1/8 tsp crushed red pepper flakes   
     8 item(s) baked low-fat tortilla chips, crushed   

Instructions

Preheat oven to 350ºF. Coat a 9-inch square baking dish with cooking spray.

Peel and thinly slice potatoes; layer in prepared baking dish. Bake potatoes until slightly crisp, about 10 minutes; remove baking dish from oven and set aside.

While potatoes are baking, coat a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray and warm over medium-high heat; add garlic, onion, green pepper and mushrooms. Cook, stirring frequently, until vegetables are tender, about 7 to 10 minutes; remove to a plate, cover to keep warm and set aside. Add turkey to skillet; cook until browned, breaking up meat with a wooden spoon as it cooks, about 8 to 10 minutes. Add cooked vegetables, cumin, salt and pepper to turkey and stir to combine; spread mixture over potatoes in baking dish.

In a small microwave safe bowl, combine cheese product, evaporated milk and crushed red pepper flakes; cover and microwave on high power until cheese melts, about 1 to 2 minutes. Spoon melted cheese over turkey and sprinkle with tortilla chips. Bake for 35 minutes; remove from oven and let stand for 5 minutes before slicing into 6 pieces. Yields 1 piece per serving

imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011

Great football/tailgating meal- Not healthy but really good.  It is called Chicken Wing on a Chip Dip however most of my friends call it "crack on a chip" since once you start you can not stop eating.

2 cans of white chicken
    2 packs of cream cheese
    1 pack of sharp ched cheese
    bottle of buffalo wing sauce

Spread the cream cheese on the bottom of the dish
    Drain the chicken and mix 1/2 the bottle of wing sauce with the chicken
    Spread the chicken and wing sauce mixture on top of the cream cheese
    Top with sharp ched cheese
    Bake for 30-35 min at 375
    Serve with corn chips

• ggirl2001ggirl2001 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I love buffalo chicken wing dip.

I would suggest though using Frank's Hot Sauce and blue cheese as well, and nix the buffalo wing sauce. :). Also don't get salad dressing blue cheese, you want the chunky kind. Use a cup of each :)

Being a Buffalo girl, I am picky about my chicken wing dip.

I need recipes with no cheese. H HATES cheese and I'm running out of ideas. Help a girl out.

I will share my mom's beef stew recipe that is always a hit when I get a chance.

Hike-maybe make this a sticky so we can always reference it?
  • Beachy730Beachy730 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Crown i've never heard of chicken wing dip done like that.  This is the recipe I always use.  And I'm from Buffalo so you know it has to be good then!

2 pkgs. cream cheese
    2 cans chicken (I usually do 1 big and 1 small)
    1 cup Blue cheese dressing (or if you're weird you can use Ranch)
    1 cup Frank's hot sauce, preferably Frank's wing sauce
    1 cup shredded cheddar

Combine all ingredients and mix well.  Pour in really any type of pan.  I've done 13x9, pie pain, 8x8, etc.  If I'm going somewhere and don't want to worry about bringing a pan home I throw it in one of those Reynolds foil pans that I just throw out after.  Bake at 350 for 30 minutes. 

Amazing.  You're welcome.
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Beachy730Beachy730 member
    edited December 2011
    Haha Ggirl we posted at the same time.  
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_recipes?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:13Discussion:c24c6942-0661-46a6-af51-bfa3fb65ebccPost:607c6b69-2c1c-480c-92ba-1f3355b432bc">Re: Recipes</a>:
    [QUOTE]I love buffalo chicken wing dip. I would suggest though using Frank's Hot Sauce and blue cheese as well, and nix the buffalo wing sauce. :). Also don't get salad dressing blue cheese, you want the chunky kind. Use a cup of each :) Being a Buffalo girl, I am picky about my chicken wing dip. I need recipes with no cheese. H HATES cheese and I'm running out of ideas. Help a girl out. I will share my mom's beef stew recipe that is always a hit when I get a chance. Hike-maybe make this a sticky so we can always reference it?
    Posted by ggirl2001[/QUOTE]

He hates cheese?  Oh my gosh I think I could eat chese all of the time
    edited December 2011
    Haha Beachy that's great.  I love Chicken Wing Dip and haven't had it in soooo long. Stupid H and him not liking cheese. I haven't made cheesy potatoes in so long either. I could make them for myself, but then I feel gross when I eat it all.
  • calindicalindi member
    edited December 2011
    DNbeach's recipe is basically mine.  Except I buy a rotisserie chicken and pull the breast meat off, then mix it into 1 container of cream cheese mixed with 1/2 cup of blue cheese dressing and a ton of Frank's Buffalo Sauce, topped with cheddar cheese and broiled - and eaten with Fritos.  People go nuts for it!

My healthy recipe today is stuffed peppers:

4 red bell peppers
    1 lb ground beef
    Cauliflower
    1 can tomato paste
    1 can diced tomatoes
    Chipotle (to taste - anywhere from a sprinkle to a Tbs)
    1 small onion, diced
    3 garlic cloves, diced
    Olive oil

Pour 1 tsp olive oil in a pan, heat up to medium, add diced onions and garlic.  Saute until the onions are soft.  Add ground beef.  Top with chipotle, salt, pepper, chili power, etc.  Cook until browned.  Add tomato paste, add diced tomatoes.  Separately, use a food processor or blender to shred cauliflower (raw, uncooked).  Cut the tops off the bell peppers, hollow out the center (the white stuff and seeds).  Turn off the stove, add cauliflower to the meat mixture.  Using a spoon, scoop into the peppers until barely overflowing.  Cover with sharp cheddar cheese, if desired.  Bake for 45 minutes at 350 degrees or until the peppers are wrinkled and soft.

Delicious!  I have about a dozen more recipes or so, but I'm drunk from watching my Patriots lose and can't process right now.

Anniversary

edited December 2011
    C, I can't help but laugh at the patriots lost, but it was bound to happen sooner or later.
  • AmandaSC1988AmandaSC1988 member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    Goodness I love this recipe, it is SOO unhealthy but it is one of those feel good meals.

Photobucket
  • edited December 2011
    Ummm, I guess I will share with you how to make authentic Mexican salsa, since that is the only recipe I can think of ATM: Here goes

Take 2 full size tomatoes, 1 jalapeno, and 2 garlic cloves, and toast them til the outer part of the skins are blackened. The garlic will obviously cook the fastest. While that is cooking, grab about a handful of cilantro, about half an onion (you can also toast that if you wish, I personally do) and some chicken bullion (about 2 tablespoons, more or less, depending on how salty you like it). Once everything is ready, throw it all into a blender, and blend to your liking. Throw in about a tablespoon of water to thin and/or lighten the spice if you want.

It will be hot due to the cooking of the tomatoes, and once it cools down, the taste will change, so I do recommend waiting a bit before adding anything to it. Because of the fact that this is just a "throw it all together" recipe for us, measurements may vary. But this usually works out pretty well, and my FI's family who is non-Mexican, LOVES it! Ha ha!

OH! And if you wanna make some bomb guacamole, do the exact same thing, but add 2 avocados. SO YUMMY!
  • calindicalindi member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_recipes?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:c24c6942-0661-46a6-af51-bfa3fb65ebccPost:9b6350bb-eb4b-4154-aedb-29fcf98b46c8">Re: Recipes</a>:
    [QUOTE]C, I can't help but laugh at the patriots lost, but it was bound to happen sooner or later.
    Posted by ggirl2001[/QUOTE]

Ooooh yeah.... plus I'm trying not to mourn it too much.  We saw the pressure from a "perfect season" and I'd just as well them lose a few early games than playoffs or the Super Bowl!  At least that's what I'm comforting myself with tonight.

Anniversary

edited December 2011
    How about I post a sticky tomorrow? We can all add recipes we like as we come up on them.
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011

I've got a bunch I'll post once I get back from Virginia - so probably Tuesday/Wednesday :)

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • edited December 2011
    Here's what I made for dinner tonight:

3 chicken breasts, cubed
    1 1/2lb head of broccoli
    baby carrots (I used like half a bag because I LOVE them!!, but if you hate them, they aren't necessary)
    1/4 yellow onion (I hate onion, so I leave it pretty big so I can pick it out.)
    1 clove of garlic
    brown rice (I used 2 cups, because my parents love it, and I'll have leftovers for lunch tomorrow)

Basically, I used 2 tbsp of olive oil in the electric skillet, threw the carrots in first. As I cubed the chicken, I dipped it in soy sauce (not soaked it.. just dipped), then I threw it in the skillet.  I steamed the broccoli for 4 minutes then added it to the skillet.  I added the onion and garlic last.  The rice doesn't really take that long, so I wanted to give everything a chance to cook thoroughly.  When the rice is done, I put it on a platter, then spooned everything else on top of it. 

It's really easy and it's relatively healthy!
    Photobucket
  • edited December 2011
    Moster Cookies - 18 dozen - Cut in half to make 9 dozen.
    12 Eggs
    2 lbs brown sugar
    1 Tablespoon Valilla
    4 Cups of Sugar
    1 lb of butter
    3 lb of peanut butter (1 lb = 2 cups of peanut butter)
    8 teaspoons of baking soda
    18 cups of oatmeal
    1 lb of chocolate chips
    1 lb of m'ms

Mix together (I add them all together, except chocolate chips and m&ms and mix together then add the chocolate and mix again)
    Bake at 350 for 12 minutes
  • edited December 2011
    One of my favorites:
    Shepherds Pie Stuffed Potatoes - It's by Rachel Ray so I'm just going to post the link :)

http://www.rachaelrayshow.com/food/recipes/shepherds-pie-stuffed-potatoes/
  • edited December 2011
    I love soups during the fall and winter.  In honor of the changing seasons, here are my favorite:

Red Lentil One-Pot Recipe

2 onions, chopped
    2-3 cloves of garlic
    1 Tbs of red-pepper flakes
    6 cups of stock or water
    1 1/3 cups of red lentils
    1/2 cup of brown rice
    salt

almonds, olives, olive oil.

Sautee onions and garlic.  Add red-pepper flakes.  Add stock and bring to boil. Reduce to simmer and add rice and lentils.  Leave for about 20-30 minutes.  Add olive oil, olives, and/or almonds as a tasty, tasty garnish.

Black Bean Soup

2 cans of black beans (1 extra cup of black beans)
    2 cup of salsa
    1 cup of broth
    1/2 chopped onion
    1-2 cloves garlic
    dash of sherry
    dash of cayenne

Saute onions, garlic.  Add onions, garlic, broth, salsa, sherry, cayenne, and 2 cans of black beans to blender.  Blend.  Heat over stove, add extra cup of beans.  Serve! nom nom nom.
    Two Drifters Off To See The World...
  • edited December 2011

These are my FAVORITE Oatmeal Raisin cookies.  Soo good. It's also a huge batch, so cut it in half if you so wish!!

1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
    1 1/3cup light brown sugar, packed
    2 egg
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1 1/2cup all-purpose flour
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    3 cups rolled oats
    1 1/2cup raisins
    1 cup walnuts, chopped (optional)

Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).

In a large bowl, cream together the butter, brown sugar, egg and vanilla until smooth. In a separate bowl, whisk the flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt together. Stir this into the butter/sugar mixture. Stir in the oats, raisins and walnuts, if using them.

At this point you can either chill the dough for a bit in the fridge and then scoop it, or scoop the cookies onto a sheet and then chill the whole tray before baking them. You could also bake them right away, if you’re impatient, but I do find that they end up slightly less thick.

The cookies should be two inches apart on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake them for 10 to 12 minutes (your baking time will vary, depending on your oven and how cold the cookies were going in), taking them out when golden at the edges but still a little undercooked-looking on top. Let them sit on the hot baking sheet for five minutes before transferring them to a rack to cool.

Photobucket
  • ZeldakinsZeldakins member
    edited December 2011
    Does anyone have any slow-cooker recipes? I went out on a limb today and got myself a small slow cooker....now I have to figure out what to cook in it. :)
    edited December 2011
    Also here's a recipe I really like now that it's gotten cooler and fall-like :)
    It's for some AMAZING pumpkin spice bread :)

Ingredients

• 3 cups sugar
    • 1 cup vegetable oil
    • 4 eggs, lightly beaten
    • 1 (16 ounce) can solid pack pumpkin
    • 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
    • 1 teaspoon baking soda
    • 1 teaspoon salt
    • 3 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
    • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
    • 1/2 cup water

Directions

In a large bowl, combine sugar, oil and eggs. Add pumpkin and mix well. Combine dry ingredients; add to the pumpkin mixture alternately with water. Pour into two greased 9-in. x 5-in. x 3-in. loaf pans. Bake at 350 degrees F for 60-65 minutes or until bread tests done. Cool in pans 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack; cool completely.

• edited December 2011
    I need try try some of thesesw. I will post a recipe tonight
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers PitaPata Dog tickers Follow Me on Pinterest
  • BinxRoseBinxRose member
    First Comment
    edited January 2012
    PASTA CARBONARA (serves two)

Ingredients
    2 oz. bacon, cut into small pieces
    1 egg, room temperature
    1 T heavy cream at room temperature
    1/4 C grated Parmesan cheese
    1/4 pound dry fettuccine pasta
    1 T butter, softened
    1 T chopped parsley
    ground black pepper to taste

Directions
    Cook bacon until crisp. Drain on paper towels.
    In medium bowl beat together eggs and cream just until blended. Stir in cheese and set aside.
    Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and return to pan. Toss with butter until it is melted.
    Add bacon and cheese mixture and toss gently until mixed.
    Stir in parsley and pepper before serving
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    BASIL CREAM SAUCE (serves two) Ingredients 2/3 cup fresh basil leaves 1 clove garlic, minced 1 1/2 T olive oil 1/2 oz pine nuts 3 T grated Parmesan cheese salt and pepper to taste 2/3 C light cream Directions In a food processor, combine basil and garlic. Begin processing, and pour in olive oil in a thin stream. Process for about 40 seconds, or until mixture begins to emulsify. Add pine nuts and Parmesan, then blend for 1 minute. Heat cream in a saucepan over low heat until simmering. Pour 1/2 of the hot cream into the processor with basil pesto, and pulse for 20 seconds to incorporate. Pour mixture back into cream, and simmer for 5 minutes, or until thickened. Serve over pasta and/or chicken
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    LOW(ER) FAT ALFREDO (serves two) Ingredients 1/4 C margerine 4 oz. fat-free cream cheese 1 C skim milk 3 oz. grated Parmesan cheese 1 t garlic powder black pepper to taste Directions Melt butter in a medium, non-stick saucepan over medium heat. Add cream cheese, stirring until smooth. Add milk, a little at a time, stirring to smooth out lumps. Stir in Parmesan. When desired consistency is reached, add garlic powder and pepper. Sauce will thicken rapidly, thin with milk if cooked too long. Toss with hot pasta to serve.
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    MY MOM'S CHILI   1 to 1 ½ lbs hamburger 1 onion, chopped 46 oz. can Vegetable juice (I like Sacramento brand) Salsa (preferably homemade; make it as mild or hot as you want) Ready cut spaghetti (like elbow macaroni, but smaller tubes) Chili powder Salt and pepper to taste   Brown hamburger with onion. Drain. Cook noodles. Drain Mix all ingredients together. Heat. Enjoy.    
  • edited December 2011
    Taco Soup

1 can chili beans
    1 can pinto beans
    1 can kidney beans (dark or light red..either one)
    1 can of tomatoes with jalapeno's (I used Rotel)
    1 can of corn
    1 packet of taco seasoning
    1 packet of ranch seasoning
    1 lb of ground beef.

Brown the ground beef, then add to the soup pot or crock pot and cook on high for 2 hours, or low for 4 hours. 

I slice flour tortillas into strips, lay them out in a pan and brush them with a little bit of olive oil, salt and pepper.  Bake at 200 for 15-20 minutes.
    Photobucket
    edited December 2011
    Baked Potato Dip

Three 8oz packages of cream cheese
    1 pack of bacon
    1 pack of shredded cheese (mixed or cheddar)
    1/2c to 1c of green onions (chives) depending on taste

Directions: READ THROUGH BEFORE YOU BEGIN!!!

Set out packages of cream cheese so they soften enough to be stirred at room temperature. While cream cheese "thaws" cook the bacon. Chop green onions to amount desired and use as much as you desire. After bacon is fully cooked, put in food processor or cut by hand to make bacon bits.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees now.

Save some of the bacon bits, onions, and cheese to put on top. Add the majority of the bacon bits, onions, and shredded cheese to the cream cheese and mix well. Spread into a 13x9in pan.

Once everything is in the pan sprinkle the set aside ingredients (bacon bits, onions and cheese) on top of the mixture and place dip in the oven and bake until the shredded cheese is melted and dip is slightly bubbly.

Serve with chips or crackers and ENJOY! :D

• Witches Brew Chicken Stew
    (Sami style)

4 frozen boneless skinless chicken breast
    3 cans Great Northern Beans
    1 bag of baby carrots
    28 oz (2 cans) of Chicken Stock)
    1 tsp of ground cumin
    1 cube of Chicken Boullion or  1 tbsp of Adobo Chicken seasoning
    (I get the Adobo that has Cumin in it so you could omit the ground cumin if you have that)
    4 stalks celery cut into small pieces
    1 lg yellow onion
    1/2 stick of butter (Or just throw the whole dang thing in there!)
    1/2 cup of milk
    Sprinkle of chili powder
    Salt and Pepper to taste

Throw everything except 1 can of the Northern Beans into the crock pot and let it go all day (like an average work day...).  Pull out the chicken breasts and shred them.  Use the remaining can of beans  and mash them up. Whisk together the mashed up beans and milk and add to soup to thicken.  Serve with bacon crumbles or (and this is my favorite way to eat it) toasted French bread.
    Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards