Wedding Party

Does the bride pay for her bridal party's shoes, hair/makeup?

Re: Does the bride pay for her bridal party's shoes, hair/makeup?

• If you are requiring them to wear a specific shoe (not just a shoe of their choosing as long as it is, say, black) then yes you should pay for their shoes.

Same goes for hair and makeup.  If you are requiring that they wear their hair a certain way or requiring them to get their hair and makeup done at all, then yes you should pay.

• I was going to let my girls wear black shoes with their dress (long brown dress) figuring every woman has dress black shoes in their closet & if they don't they should invest in some. But they wanted to go dark brown. So I said get whatever style you want as long as it's dark brown. Well they had trouble finding that color so I just told them to go with any color that compliments the dress. They all ended up going metallic. So they have shoes they can use again if they wanted. I wanted to work with them so they didn't have to resort to getting dyed shoes which they will for sure never wear. If you go w/basic shoe color, white, ivory, brown, metallic they will either have them already or at least be able to find ones they can use again. Plus if you just give them a color, they can spend what is in their budget from $15-$500. For hair & make up, I agree, if you want everyone to match & be a certain way, they you should pay for or at least chip in. I'm only paying for one girls hair due to her financial situation & her lack of styling ability. My other bridesmaiids are little more up on style stuff and doing their hair & makeup themselves. I just told them no crazy colors on makeup, same for nails.Basially what it comes down to, when you ask, or shortley after you ask, you should let your girls know what you are going to pay for and what they will have to pay for & be prepared that somoeone may have to step down depending on costs

• If what you're asking them is something they could reasonably be expected to do without incurring any expenses on their own (like doing their own hair or wearing shoes they might conceivably own), then you don't have to pay.  If what you're asking them to do would mean they absolutely have to spend money (like dyed-to-match shoes or professional hair/makeup), the cost is on you, and not as part of any gift.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • My girls are paying for their own hair and make up if they want it done. All of my girls are wearing flip flops, so I got everyone's sizes and bought them at like $2 a piece. I told them that they are more than welcome to do their own hair and make up, or pay to have it done.
    If you are requiring the girls to have a certain pair of shoes, and have their hair and make up done a certain way, then you should definitely pay.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker May 2013 Brides Siggy Challenge: Cake image
  • Carson, your wedding sounds fun :) I wanted to have barefoot wedding but since it is outside I'm afraid now about broken glass or pine needles or twigs or splinters. (Am I worrying too much?) Which is to say do you mind if I *borrow* bridal party flip-flops idea??
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_does-the-bride-pay-for-her-bridal-partys-shoes-hairmakeup?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:37Discussion:00acaa4a-4ac3-408a-a9bc-c5671fb7aa62Post:c9a251a1-f8d5-4114-a4ce-6b5c4a8ff29d">Does the bride pay for her bridal party's shoes, hair/makeup?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm clueless! 
    Posted by s_hazeleyes[/QUOTE]

I have never been in a wedding that the bride paid for anything - I have always paid for my own hair, shoes, dress (i did my own make up )   ...   in my mind it is part of agreeing to be in a wedding - I did not HAVE to get my hair done - only request of the bride was that it be up - for one wedding i put it up in a french twist myself - for another i went and had my hair done - just found out ahead of time about how much it would cost... for other weddings - my hair was too short to be put up - so it wasn't an issue
    Wedding Countdown Ticker ~~December Sept. 2013 Siggy Challenge~~ Now & Then Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Thanks ladies!

My BM's are free to do whatever...they can do their own makeup/hair and wear any style of black shoes their little hearts desire! If they chose to get it professionally done then that's ok too!

I am trying to make it cost efficient for my girls!
  • Thanks ladies!

My BM's are free to do whatever...they can do their own makeup/hair and wear any style of black shoes their little hearts desire! If they chose to get it professionally done then that's ok too!

I am trying to make it cost efficient for my girls!
  • Where I am from which is also outside of Boston.....no.  You usually say I just want you to wear silver shoes.  I am having hair and makeup provided.  It is " this much".  You don't need to have your makeup done but your hair has to be professionally done.  I think all this people should consider when saying yes to being  a bridesmaid anyways.  I think you get very different answers on this board because " etiquette"  is different in different states.
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    July 2007 Photobucket
    october 2012 Photobucket
  • For hair & Make up - I am treating my girls to hair styling.  If they want to get their make up done, its their choice & my stylist is available to them.  Some women prefer to do their own make up and are very good at it.  
    I asked all of them to wear silver shoes.. whatever style they like.
  • We are paying for each girl to have thei makeup done professionally. Thankfully my amazing hair dresser is also a great friend and bridesmaid who will be doing everyone's hair. Each girl bought her own dress and shoes. With the dress style no necklace is necessary and I'll be buying bracelets as bridesmaids gifts. The other thing I'm doing is having a get together for everyone who wants to do their nails to get together but we will not be paying for this. Since we aren't paying that's why we're leaving it as a totally if you want to kinda thing.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards