Wedding Woes
Options

Fence update

So H gave fence drawing pictures to the construction company early this month.  He called last week to see if they were able to pull together a quote yet.  He told me that the office lady gave him a lot of excuses and ultimately said that they don't do quotes.  He took this as a brush off and ranted to me about how no one in this town is willing to work with you unless you are related by blood or church. 

Anywhoo...Stanley escaped again this afternoon.  He wasn't out for long and came back as soon as I called.  And then (again) when I asked him how he got out he went straight to the loose board and pushed it with his nose to show me (although, again, this was complete coincidence, I don't think my dog is nearly that smart). 

So I after hammering the board back in place I marched in the house to call the construction company myself to ask for a yes or no.  The lady told me that she would tell me the same thing that she told my husband - that they could get to us in the spring but they just couldn't give an exact price like we are demanding.  What?  If these guys didn't come so highly recommended I would have hung up and moved on.  How has a construction company never heard of giving a quote before?  I told her that we really needed to know if this was going to be a $5K or a $25K project and could they at least give us a quote on lumber even if the idea of a labor quote was blowing their minds (I didn't say it quite like that).  She said she would "try." 

Seriously.  I'm going to have to build this thing myself.

I just a friendly gal looking for options.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Fence update

• Options
    can't you just pile garbage at the edges of the backyard? 
  • Options
    Hmo, we are already doing that.  There is a concrete block in one place where Stanley dug a whole to get under the fence.  If he keeps digging we'll have to tow in an old Camaro.

Zzilla - He doesn't have his Stanley Jr. puppy making parts.  I'm more worried about trouble with the tires of a neighborhood garbage truck.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    That's bull.  There should be no issue at least giving a time and materials with a good faith time estimate.
  • Options
    I want to see these fancy fence drawings. I think it'll be hilarious if you finally get your fence and it is purple with unicorn engravings.
  • Options
    zsazsa-stlzsazsa-stl member
    First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited January 2012
    Min - I will have to add those details on my own.  H's drawing looks pretty much like this but without those little capitals on the end posts.  Oh, and it is raised dachshund height off the ground.  smh.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Does he say why he wants it raised? I mean, a few inches is good because it helps prevent rotting and whatnot. But THAT far? Why?
  • Options
    It looks pretty in the drawing.  Also, I told him to draw whatever he wanted as long it kept the dogs in.  So of course he had to ignore my one request.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Is there a Home Depot or home improvement store near you? Have your H take the drawing to contractor services and they can give you a quote for materials. After you have that in-hand, take it to the contractor and say you're willing to spend $X on the labor and would that quote work for them?

If all else fails, enlist all those hunky college boys who rake your lawn. Surely they'd love some cash.
  • Options
    OH! And ask the Home Depot people for any recommendations for other fence-builders. THey usually have all sorts of business cards, or some of their employees might do handywork on the side. 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_fence-update-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:47Discussion:f2197056-b663-4cfc-83aa-6bcd50f139c8Post:949a40c3-dd99-4811-a5a0-3622943e1e55">Re: Fence update</a>:
    [QUOTE]It looks pretty in the drawing.  Also, I told him to draw whatever he wanted as long it kept the dogs in.  So of course he had to ignore my one request.
    Posted by zsazsa-stl[/QUOTE]

zsa - we might be married to the same man. I say we trade in these models for some younger brother husbands from the leaf raking frat and cool ourselves on the patio while they built you a new fence. That keeps the dogs in.
  • Options
    I'm with Myrtle.  Know your materials, and get some quotes.  This whole company may be able to build a fence to the moon, but I highly doubt they just show up, do the work and collect money.  WITHOUT a quote.  Doesn't happen that way.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards