Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum
Options

Father/Bride Dance only

We were wondering how unusual it would be, if at all, if there was only a father/bride dance but no mother/groom dance?  Has anyone been to a reception like that?  Did it seem awkward or was it no big deal?  The groom and his mother aren't really into dancing, but the bride and father are all for it.  We were thinking of doing the newlywed's first dance and then the father would step in and continue dancing with the bride while the groom went to have a seat.  Would that be an awkward exchange?  Any suggestions as how to handle this?  Should the dances be separated?

Re: Father/Bride Dance only

• Options
    My daughters wedding will not have groom mother dance. They do not speak.  The DJ said he will move right along and no one will bother to notice.  My sons wedding they only did the mother groom dance.  no bride groom and no bride father.
  • Options
    I don't think it's uncommon to not have a m/s dance. I haven't been to many weddings but I don't think there were m/s f/d dances at any of them.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I don't see an issue with not having one. (I know there will not be a M/S dance at my wedding.)
    Its not the destination so much as the journey, they say. - Captain Jack Sparrow Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I believe it's optional
  • Options
    My brother didn't have a mother son dance... more because the bride forgot to incorporate it than anything....
    it wasn't a big deal, and if it weren't my own family I never would have noticed it.
  • Options
    I didn't know weddings had son/mother dances until I started trolling the boards....
  • Options
    optional to have either.  I think the exchange would be awkward, so I would suggest doing the first dance and then do a F/D dance; two separate songs.

Anniversary
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    At our wedding we only had a father/daughter dance.  My mother-in-law said she would be uncomfortable and didn't want the attenton on her.  No one noticed that we didn't have one. 
  • Options
    I like the idea of overlapping the two, like starting out with just F/D and then M/S joining half way through, but FI doesn't like it and wanted his own song which is cool. But I don't find it unusual in any way. One. The other. Both. or none at all. Totally up to you.
  • Options
    I am switching it to a welcome to the family dance as my dad is deceased so I am dancing with my father in law and my fiance is dancing with my mom.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards