Wedding Invitations & Paper
Options

NO BABIES

I am planning on having kids at our wedding - they would only make up about 1-2 tables per side of the family. Originally I wasn't going to have kids but the age range is about 6+, most of them being older than 10.
My issue is that my fiance's cousin is planning on bringing her baby, who isn't even born yet. She has even started looking for an infant tuxedo... She didn't even ask, she just assumed. Even my fiance's mother made this assumption without asking me or my fiance.
My issue is that I don't want to have babies at the wedding! I can just imagine the baby starting to cry during the ceremony and throughout the reception with all the loud music. I also don't want to start a fight.
What to do?!

Re: NO BABIES

• Options
    Listen to trix, she is wise.
  • Options
    You can tell her that the baby can't come but that may mean that she can't attend.

Beyond that, if she's a nursing mom, be prepared that even if she isn't with the baby, she'll need to go somewhere to pump.   I physically can't go more than 4.5 hours without pumping or I'll have a mess.  It's that bad.

And as a new parent, I'm aware of how difficult it can be to travel with an infant.  With that it means that if Julia fusses, DH or I remove her from the situation.

So the bottom line is that you can say no babies but you may be telling the parents no in the process.  The other issue is that you may have some seriously hurt feelings if you let some cousins bring their children but not THAT cousin bring her child.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_invites-paper_babies?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:cd062f89-8272-496a-b0ab-225e1f87acecDiscussion:e37a2d7f-5279-451a-ba4c-15eb160db2e2Post:099d69ae-b3ef-4939-9cef-f8cca274350e">NO BABIES</a>:
    [QUOTE]I am planning on having kids at our wedding - they would only make up about 1-2 tables per side of the family. Originally I wasn't going to have kids but the age range is about 6+, most of them being older than 10. My issue is that my fiance's cousin is planning on bringing her baby, who isn't even born yet. She has even started looking for an infant tuxedo... She didn't even ask, she just assumed. Even my fiance's mother made this assumption without asking me or my fiance. My issue is that I don't want to have babies at the wedding! I can just imagine the baby starting to cry during the ceremony and throughout the reception with all the loud music. I also don't want to start a fight. What to do?!
    Posted by aornst[/QUOTE]
    We were married in Vegas, so there was a pretty clear and readily apparent "no kids" rule.  My 5mo niece and MOH's 9mo daughter were both invited.  There was never really a question.  As a friend of mine said, "A child that young is kind of like a handbag.  It isn't really an optional accessory." 

You're within your rights to tell her that no children means no children, but she's also within her rights to tell you to go jump off a cliff, and the rest of his family is within THEIR rights to take her side.  Of course everyone has assumed that the newborn is invited, it's not like the kid can be left with a sitter.  Sorry, but you're the one who's being unreasonable here.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_invites-paper_babies?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:cd062f89-8272-496a-b0ab-225e1f87acecDiscussion:e37a2d7f-5279-451a-ba4c-15eb160db2e2Post:35b3315d-599f-4ad5-8791-10a8a76d1139">Re: NO BABIES</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to NO BABIES : We were married in Vegas, so there was a pretty clear and readily apparent "no kids" rule.  My 5mo niece and MOH's 9mo daughter were both invited.  There was never really a question.  As a friend of mine said, "A child that young is kind of like a handbag.  It isn't really an optional accessory."  You're within your rights to tell her that no children means no children, but she's also within her rights to tell you to go jump off a cliff, and the rest of his family is within THEIR rights to take her side.  Of course everyone has assumed that the newborn is invited, it's not like the kid can be left with a sitter.  <strong>Sorry, but you're the one who's being unreasonable here.
    </strong>Posted by aerinpegadrak[/QUOTE]

THIS.  Enough said.
  • Options
    I will say that when FI and I began planning, I really didn't want babies because I thought the same thing. But I can say, that like Trix mentioned, babies usually aren't a huge problem, and when they are, most parents are kind enough to take them out of that particular place so as not to cause a disruption. We were just at a wedding where the Sister of the Groom's newborn started fussing, and they quietly took him out of the room. So OP, while I get what you're thinking, I think you may be prepping for worst case scenario, and the likelihood of that happening is slim-to-none. I'd let it go and just enjoy your day!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Who brings a baby to a reception with loud music and drinking? I'm with the OP here, a wedding reception is no place for a baby.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Yeah I'm with OP too. Honestly, why would you ever bring a newborn baby to a wedding reception with drinking, dancing, and very loud music? My fiance's sister in law had a baby on December 20th and my wedding is in a little over a week on January 8th... she's coming to the the wedding and reception, pumping beforehand so the sitter can bottle feed the baby breast milk, and pumping at the reception. Since when was it a rule that moms can't leave their newborn baby for one evening?
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_invites-paper_babies?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:cd062f89-8272-496a-b0ab-225e1f87acecDiscussion:e37a2d7f-5279-451a-ba4c-15eb160db2e2Post:589858ff-6220-4143-9a01-4d70ced892c9">Re: NO BABIES</a>:
    [QUOTE]Yeah I'm with OP too. Honestly, why would you ever bring a newborn baby to a wedding reception with drinking, dancing, and very loud music? My fiance's sister in law had a baby on December 20th and my wedding is in a little over a week on January 8th... she's coming to the the wedding and reception, pumping beforehand so the sitter can bottle feed the baby breast milk, and pumping at the reception. <strong>Since when was it a rule that moms can't leave their newborn baby for one evening?</strong>
    Posted by megjm.614[/QUOTE]

It's not a rule.  It's also not a rule that someone has to accept an invitation to a wedding.  For what it's worth, and I'm a mom of 3 adults, I would not at all have left an 18 day old baby to go out to a wedding.

And I was the mom who did have sitters, went away for long weekends with my DH, and more.  But not when they were infants, and particularly not when they were 18 days old.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards