Louisiana-New Orleans
Options

Haydel's cake options

My venue contracts with Haydel's for the wedding cake, but when we went in for our tasting, we were only able to sample their almond cake.

For those who have used Haydel's, are there any other cake options available?  All the fillings started to taste the same as well by the end, so any recommendations would be great as well! 

Re: Haydel's cake options

• Options
    jterra2jterra2 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited January 2013
    I don't know about the flavor cause I looooooove almond, but the praline filling is delicious!
  • Options
    Ask for vanilla flavor. I think that is what most people (outside of Louisiana) are used to. We went with Swiss but had vanilla flavored but we also couldn't taste it first. I am from Louisiana but husband isn't and he was totally grossed out by the almond. If you are really worried about it you can have them make you a small cake and pay for it. 
    We went with pineapple filling. 
  • Options
    We had chocolate for my hubbys grooms cake.. they charged a good bit extra which i thought was a little ridiculous but we also wanted to have some flavor variety, i think they also do red velvet.. good luck!
  • Options
    derksenrileyderksenriley member
    First Comment
    edited January 2013
    We got ours from Haydels and did a 3 tier cake with each tier in a different flavor.  They make you do almond/ wedding cake as the lowest tier because it is the weight-bearing flavor (I think it's the densest).  We had red velvet as the middle and chocolate as the top. We served all 3 tiers, didn't save one.  They only do the almond for the tastings, but you can buy a red velvet or chocolate cupcake (or vanilla, if they have it- we didn't know of that option I guess) to try while you're there, and we were told it's the same cake batter in the cupcakes as in the cakes.  I think they actually gave us the cupcake for free but we planned to buy it.  We weren't charged any extra for our cake but it was included in the venue cost as well, so I'm not sure if there was an upcharge that they covered for us.
  • Options
    We had a 4 tier king cake from Haydels and it was great. The base has to be plain but we got to pick a differemt filling for the top three tiers
  • Options
    Thanks everyone!  They all sound very tasty :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards