Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

How much per slice?

How much on average are wedding cakes per slice? Is $1/slice too much?

Re: How much per slice?

• LasairionaLasairiona member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    This is an international board so prices vary greatly. You will get a more accurate response on your local board. Even in the same town, no two bakeries charge the same amount for the same cake.
  • Miss_SophiaMiss_Sophia member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    thanks, to be honest, I didn't even think of posting this on my local board.
  • Jamilynn627Jamilynn627 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Definitely post on your local board. If I ever found a bakery offering cakes for $1 per slice in my area, I'd be thrilled. The lowest price I found was $8 per slice, with some bakers charging $15+ per slice, so that sounds like a steal to me!
  • mt4sbwymt4sbwy member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Honestly, I think that $1/slice is an extraordinary deal wherever you are, unless your cake is literally unadorned buttercream.  Cakes - plain, undecorated, untiered cakes - are about $2-3/serving at the bakery where I work.  Adding decorations and the usual wedding mark up will only make that price go higher.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • felkelsfelkels member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Mine is $4 a person and I thought that was a lot!  I was tempted to make my own cake just to get out of that!  One bakery charges for cakes, and sizes, the other we looked at charges per slice...we went with the per slice, even though it was twice as much because the flavors were less canned...Our cake is actually costing the same as my dress!  Now that is insane!
  • sarabellamsarabellam member
    5 Love Its First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    If you ordered dessert in a restaurant, would you expect to be able to pay $1 per serving? No matter where you are, that is an incredibly cheap price. Where I am, minimum price I've seen is $3.50 per serving.
  • ccenter1ccenter1 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    $1 a slice is a great deal!! We pay around $3.00 a slice in the georgia area. I cant believe someone would charge $15 per slice. By the time you pay for catering too you spend over $50 per guest. Thats crazy!
  • Jamilynn627Jamilynn627 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_much-per-slice?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:96557328-f213-42f3-808b-a8f76bdb0b3ePost:a3871937-32e5-4ae2-b8d1-5ad0dd2f2be5">Re: How much per slice?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I cant believe someone would charge $15 per slice. By the time you pay for catering too you spend over $50 per guest. Thats crazy!
    Posted by ccenter1[/QUOTE]

Prices are crazy here, but it's all proportionate. Receptions usually start at $100 per head with prices over $200 in Manhattan. I can't wait to move!
  • edited December 2011
    $1 per slice is very very cheap. Even the bakery that provides my cake for my venue is like $2 per slice I think for a very basic cake. Most bakeries I have been to are usually at least $4 per slice for the kind  of cake I want. If you want the Cake Boss the wedding cakes START at $14 per slice.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Cake here starts aroun $2 a slice for the private bakers and can go up to $6 a slice at the larger bakers that do more decorating on the cakes.

My new bff Gayle Forman!

?You can have your wishes, your plans, but at the end of the day, it's out of your control" - Gayle Forman
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Married Bio

Lizzie's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)?????? image

• edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_much-per-slice?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:96557328-f213-42f3-808b-a8f76bdb0b3ePost:6529ac86-c324-4f98-a3ee-782b90efdc88">Re: How much per slice?</a>:
    [QUOTE]If you ordered dessert in a restaurant, would you expect to be able to pay $1 per serving? No matter where you are, that is an incredibly cheap price. Where I am, minimum price I've seen is $3.50 per serving.
    Posted by sarabellam[/QUOTE]
    Yes but you can easily find a birthday cake that will run you $2, even here in NYC  Let's not forget that a Costco cake will run you less than $1 a slice.  I think it's crazy for wedding cakes to cost so much.  <div>
    </div><div>To answer your question $1 per slice is a great price.  </div>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards