March 2013 Weddings
Options

March 9, 2013 and I am just starting. HELP!

I AM FREAKING OUT! I just got engaged. We set the date for March 9, 2013. We've got the church and the reception venue booked. I'm looking at doing everything myself as I'm older and we've both been married before.
Holy cow! There is so much to do HELP!

First, I'm on a strict budget. Do I need to hire a wedding coordinator? Why? And how much if you say yes. What is their role?

I think I've found a dress. We are going shopping to purchase on Friday after thanksgiving. Both my daughter and his daughter will choose that day from David's bridal as well.

I don't have a color selection yet (grey, blue, salmon, love burlap and lace tho) but have no idea what flowers are in season in Texas. But then again, I'm thinking I just want bunches of baby's breath for centerpieces with candles. Did I mention I'm on a strict budget and doing this by myself?

I am looking for a simple but elegant reception that we really want to be an all out PARTY! Put it this way, a very good friend of ours is marrying us and we all just had our 30th high school reunion. Told ya I'm older! LOL. But, seriously, when I got married the first time it was in Hawaii and we just showed up. So much has changed not to mention I'm n sticker shock.

So, any an all advice is needed. I need suggestions on colors etc.

What are some things NOT to do. I'm overwhelmed. I'm just now choosing our invitations.

HELP!
Kimberly

Re: March 9, 2013 and I am just starting. HELP!

• Options
    First of Congratulations!! You can totally do this and it will be amazing. 
    Color wise really this is something that can be a feeling and colors just fall in to place or if you have a strong feeling about wanting a certain color go with it and add in the "accent" colors as they fall into place. 
    We picked our colors kinda by accident and are 180 from our original pics. Our invite has this amazing teal that we both fell in love with and Fuchsia kept poping up and those kind of became our colors. What feel do you want? You said youre in Texas, Country Chic is in right now big time! We just did a wedding (I'm and event coonsultant) where the feel was the colors. She wanted mostly hardwood tables and mixed in a few rounds with some ivory linens. The rest of her colors were blush and some soft brown thrown in. I've attached a pic for you to see what I'm talking about. Baby's breath can be an amazing centerpeice. Pinterest is your friend with pics of what you are thinking. Just be specific in your searches. Pinterest can also be overwhelming in the amount of pics. 
    A coordinator for the day of can be very helpful if you want to just let someone handle all the details of the day. Sometimes a DJ can handle the timeline as far as when toast are and first dance timing and all that. Really that is something that you can assign to a trusted friend if you wanted. I'm a big fan of coordinators for various reasons. Being one and knowing that we can keep all the day of questions away from the couple to let them enjoy the day is a big one. 

You can have an amazing wedding on a budget and since you already have your venue ask if they provide anything (tables, linens, china, flatware, chairs, lighting, sound) this can save you a ton of money. Also your caterer may have someone who does day of coordination for a lowered rate if you go with them for the food. Ask!! It will never hurt to ask. 

Beyond that making your own invitations, response cards, direction cards, menu, programs can be a much more inexpensive way to go then buying them. There area  ton of free fonts that you can find online and surprisingly you can use programs like excel to create just about anything. 

Hopefully this is helpful. 
    Good Luck 
  • Options
    Congrats!!! 

Make sure you get your Photographer and baker booked also. A good photographer is definitely going to cost some money but it's worth it in my opinion. I found my baker through yelp and online search and she is awesome! If you find someone who does cake on the side instead of going through the bakery, they'll usually charge less. 

Colors are important but don't get stuck with just one or two colors. 

Baby breath arrangement is very popular right now. I heard Costco and Sam's Club online carry good flowers and after searching online I have to say that they have really good price for flowers. 

Here are a few wedding websites I use to purchase products: 
    Check out the Sola Flowers. I bought a few of them and they are very pretty and cheap. 

This people carries the cheapest invitation products that I can find online and they can design one for you also. 

They sell very reasonable veils and wedding jewelry that won't break your bank for sure. Just be careful about shipping. If you use their "save" shipping, it'll take a month to get to you. 

Lastly: Craiglist! Yes, you have to be really careful when searching on craigslist. But that's where I found my photographer, day of wedding coordinator, pianist, and manzanita branches. Make sure you interview the people throughly and don't give them the full amount of service. No one will ask for a full amount. To give a deposit is quite normal and it's usually 10% of the price. The photographer will ask for 20% but usually you won't have to pay the full amount until the day you get married. 

Feel free to PM me if you need idea on anything else. Good Luck and Happy Planning!! :D
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards