Jewish Weddings
Options

Keeping Kosher

I'm having a conservative wedding and we are certainly having a kosher meal for dinner. Would it be acceptable to just serve fish and a vegatarian option for dinner so that we don't have to have a parve cake? Do you guys have any suggestions?

Re: Keeping Kosher

• Options
    colourzcolourz member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    That is unusual, but I think it's fine to do. I understand about the parve desserts. They are just not the same. Not all halls offer dairy though, so you'd have to check with your caterer.
  • Options
    tenofcups4metenofcups4me member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't think that's at all unusual. I'd say the majority of Jewish weddings I've attended have served salmon as the entree -- either as a choice when two entree choices are offered or as the only option.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We didn't have a kosher caterer, but we only served fish and vegetarian entree options.  We had a buffet with salmon, halibut, white-sauce lasagna, porcini mushroom purses, and veggie sides.  The fish was really well-prepared, which I think helped people who like a lot of meat enjoy it a little more (salmon was cooked on a cedar plank over lima beans and tomatoes, halibut was hard seared with pesto risotto). 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_jewish-weddings_keeping-kosher?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:399Discussion:08f77de0-dbfd-4a15-a09b-1485840cccb6Post:cdb0b709-eed0-41f5-bb72-63c1cb539b5f">Re: Keeping Kosher</a>:
    [QUOTE]We didn't have a kosher caterer,<strong> but we only served fish and vegetarian entree options</strong>.  We had a buffet with salmon, halibut, white-sauce lasagna, porcini mushroom purses, and veggie sides.  The fish was really well-prepared, which I think helped people who like a lot of meat enjoy it a little more (salmon was cooked on a cedar plank over lima beans and tomatoes, halibut was hard seared with pesto risotto). 
    Posted by jessicabessica[/QUOTE]

This is what we are doing too. Kosher caterers in Chicago were out of our budget and only 2 of our guests keep strict kosher.
    Anniversary image
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Yeah, we're having the reception at the synagogue and they require kosher catering, but at least 1/4 of the guests keep kosher and there are also quite a few vegetarians. I was thinking maybe a fish and then a pasta option with meatless sauce and then some various vegetarian sides. I'm just glad it isn't all that uncommon.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    our wedding was entirely vegetarian and no one blined an eye.  your reasons for having a veggie/pescatarian reception make good sense.  i thin you should go for it. 

but - a word about your thoghts on pasta.  pasta with meatless sauce is the vegetarian option at EVERY SINGLE wedding, and it can be a little tedious for vegetarians.  my suggestion is that you ask your caterer if they can come up with a more imaginative option for you.  vegetarian catering is becoming much more sophisticated these days, so they should have some good ideas for you to choose from.  
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Totally not uncommon, and that's what we did (and we were at the synagogue, too).
    The Knot won't share my Bump Siggy, so here's the low-down: 4/27/07 - Got engaged! 8/31/08 - Got married (to my best friend)! 12/30/08 - Got Pregnant! 9/3/09 - Welcome to the world, Elias Solomon! 8/16/10 - Got Pregnant, again! 5/14/11 - Welcome to the world, Talia Hadassah! 1/14/12 - Ready or not, here comes #3 (EDD 9/27/12)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards