Wedding Photography and Videography Forum

Taking Photos before the Ceremony instead of After

I'm considering this and would like some feedback this way all the money my fianceee and I are putting out we will totally be able to enjoy our full reception..Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated

Re: Taking Photos before the Ceremony instead of After

• twilight.rosetwilight.rose member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    H and I opted to do all photos prior to our ceremony, and I am so glad we did. It's one of the best decisions we made regarding our wedding. We got to attend our full cocktail hour and reception, which gave us time to mingle with our guests (particularly those who traveled long distances), and to make sure we got to see everyone who attended.

Keep in mind that you'll probably have a bit of a longer day doing photos before since you'll need to get ready earlier, but it's well worth it. We started hair and make-up @ 8:45 AM, took photos from approximately 11:30 to 3:45, arrived at the church at 4:00 for our 4:30 ceremony, and partied at the reception until after midnight.
    **i'm a little drunk on you and high on summertime** Photobucket
  • edited December 2011
    My daughter did...so worth it.  We have a beautiful photo of their first look and thenlovely pictures before people got sweaty, nervous, or windblown.
    My baby girl is a married woman...and now my baby girl HAS a baby girl. Time unfolds in such an amazing way. I've been blessed!
  • edited December 2011
    Definitely worth it.  I photograph a lot of weddings both ways, and the couples who opt to do formals ahead of the ceremony are almost always more relaxed and happier with the way the time flows.

Besides, that whole custom of not seeing one another before the ceremony has some pretty grim roots.  Google it.   ; )
  • fallbride1109fallbride1109 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We did a "first look" and took our pictures beforehand and it was one of the best decisions we ever made.  The stress just melted away once we saw each other.  No one that does it ever regrets it.  I have some of our reveal pictures in my bio and they are some of my favorites from the day.

• Bill PottsBill Potts member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Why not do both? Rather than a traditional wedding package, find someone who specializes in photo-journalistic weddings. There will be zero posed images. The photographer will be there for a set time and simply capture the day journalistically. The, after the ceremony, or even the honeymoon, set up a time for formal wedding portraits at a location of your choice.
  • edited December 2011
    I go over the pros of doing a big reveal session on my blog. http://fuccisphotos.com/blog/?p=125

I was reticent at first to do the big reveal/first look, but it was one of the best decisions we made.  It was soooo nice getting to spend time with my hubby that morning, just the two of us (well and the unobtrusive photographer), and then getting the formal shots out of the way beforehand.  The look on his face as I came out is one of my fav memories of the day.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards