Illinois-Chicago

Opinions on possible venues...?

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the boards, so if I'm posting something that's not copacetic, please let me know!  

FI and I live in the Oak Park area, and are hoping to have our wedding at the Unity Temple (the Frank Lloyd Wright U/U congregation in OP).  I'm looking for affordable reception venues that are within 5-10 miles of the congregation, so our guests don't have to drive a long way between.  We have a budget of about $10k, so far, so I'm looking for affordable places...

I'm going to post my list of "maybes" and if anyone could give me feedback on these places, that would be excellent.  If you've been to weddings there before, if you looked into it for your own wedding, etc.  Let me know the impression you got...

Keep in mind, we haven't looked anywhere yet.  I want to rule out any obvious "NO's" before we take the time to start shopping around... 

Thanks in advance!

1) Michelle's Ballroom - Avondale
**I have my heart set on this place, and I LOVE that they let you bring in your own caterer, but I need to consider other options too...**

2) Oak Park Country Club - River Grove
**FI's grandfather is a member, and says he's holding onto his membership so we can have our reception here... I don't know if we're really "country club" people, but if it's nice enough, maybe...**

3)  19th Century Club - Oak Park
**FI's parents had their wedding here in 1979, so it would be awesome, but it's a little on the pricey side...**

4)  Pleasant Home - Oak Park
**Again, a little pricey, but it's LITERALLY across the street from where we live... And I've been to a BEAUTIFUL wedding here...**

5)  Elmcrest Banquets (Biancalana's) - Elmwood Park
**Went to a work party here; the food was good and the atmosphere is pretty, but I don't know about pricing...**

6)  Biagio's Banquets - Portage Park 
**I've heard good things, but I don't know about pricing, or how nice the place actually is...**

7)  Hanging Gardens Banquets - River Grove
**I hate that it's in a strip mall, but it looks really nice inside...**

8)  Millennium Banquets - Belmont Central/Brickyard
**Looks kind of crappy, but I've read that the food is good, and it's really affordable...**

Re: Opinions on possible venues...?

• edited December 2011

Hi V-V,

I grew up in Elmwood Park and went to high school in Oak Park.

I've heard the 19th century club is really nice, but I get the impression it's pretty pricey.

I've been to a fai number of non-wedding events at Elmcrest.  I don't think it has as nice an atmosphere as the Oak Park places, but I think you'll probaby find more affordable prices there.

Good luck!

• cmarsh14cmarsh14 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Michelles ballroom in Chicago, IL is beautiful getting married there 7/23/2011.....you should as well!  Bring your own alcohol, caterer, linens, chair covers, its like build your own beautiful wedding and the ballroom is gorgeous!

http://www.michellesballroom.com/
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards