Florida-South Florida
Options

Experienced vs. Newbie

Ok so I am in between 2 photographers. Both are offering just about the same thing. But here is the catch -- one has TONS of weddings on their blog and the other is obviously new to wedding photography. Here is the breakdown

Photographer #1
8 hours
2 photographers
30 page album
1 large print
hi-res dvd with proofs
started around 2007 with a tons of weddings on their blog

Photographer #2
8 hours
2 photographers plus assistant
30 page album
hi-res dvd with proofs
started 2 years ago in weddings with only 1 or 2 weddings on her blog or facebook

I would save $600 with the new one.  Is it worth saving $600?  Should I just go with the more experienced one?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Experienced vs. Newbie

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I understand how you feel, I was going through the same thoughts when shopping for a photographer.  I just signed my photographer, and I'd say 1) go with who you are COMFORTABLE with and with your gut but also 2) understand that this is a once in a lifetime event that you cannot relive.  Photographers get to share in that intimate moment and hopefully is able to capture it artistically so that when you look at the picture you are able to relive those special moments.  Without knowing who the photographers are, I can't just advise you on price, I'd have to see their work and see if it's how I want to remember my day. 

Ultimately, the money you pay is nothing compared to the end product.  The feelings they invoke can be either priceless or painstaking. Sorry if I'm not much help, but that's just my humble opinions...

HTH!!! GL!!!
    Photobucket Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011

The second photog may just not keep up with facebook or the blog. I would go with whoever's pictures you like more.

• Options
    edited December 2011

THANKS LADIES!

I should have mentioned their photos are of the SAME QUALITY, the very few wedding shots I have seen from the less experienced one capture the same emotion, and gorgeous shots. She also mentioned if there are certain shots I like, I can show her and she can learn how to do them between now and then.

My choices are between PS Photography and 3LittleWords

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    FaithCaitlinFaithCaitlin member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'd probably go with the more experienced one IF it's in your budget. 

imageUntitledmy read shelf:
    Faith (FaithCaitlin)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options
    edited December 2011

I would probably also go with the most experienced one but like PP said, go with who you feel comfortable with. Have you met with them both in person? Maybe the can both show you actual albums of their work?

Two years is still a long time to only have only two postings of previous work.

Wedding Countdown Ticker image
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I vote experienced. I really liked two photographers, one was $300 less but no one heard of them so I went with the higher of the two and I am very happy I did :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks guys!  All your comments and advice have been great.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    If I'm not too late... I'd go with the one that you feel most comfortable with. This person is going to be with you all day - getting ready with you and in your face for 8 hours. If EVERYTHING is the same and the $600 isn't making or breaking your budget, just pick the one that you'd rather hang out with for 8 hours. Ultimately, you have to be comfortable to have them take a good photo. It could be the most experienced person in the world, but if you didn't feel a connection with them, you may feel awkward while they're taking pictures and your photos will suffer because of it.

We booked our photographer months ago becaues we loved him. Loved his personality, LOVED his photos, etc. He was fairly new and we were a little concerned about it too, but we just trusted our gut and went with it. Since we booked, he's updates his blog on a regular basis and we are more and more certain that we picked the right person everytime we look at the photos.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Wedding Website
    image 143 Invited
    image 110 Are ready to party!
    image 31 Are party poopers!
    image 0 Can't find the mailbox!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards