Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions
Options

What is the proper ettiquette for step parents in the program?

I have a bit of a messed up family (who doesn't?). My mother and I haven't spoken for 14 years. My grandparents have always been told by  my mother that it's my fault we don't speak. I have invited my mother to the wedding and she has not RSVP'd. I'm working on creating the program, but I've run into a problem when identifying the Bridal Party. I have listed out the Mother and Father of the Groom, the Father of the Bride, Bridesmaids, Groomsmen, etc, but I don't know what to put for "Mother of the Bride".  I'd like to recognize my stepmother, but out of respect for my grandparents, I'd still like to recognize my mother. Is it okay to put "Mother of the Bride" and list 2 names?

Re: What is the proper ettiquette for step parents in the program?

• Options
    Can you put "parents of the bride/groom"?

You step-mom next to your father's name and your mom on a separate line like this:

Parents of the Bride:
    stepmom andaefegley'sdad
    aefegley'smom (and stepdad?)

Parents of the Groom
    aefegley'sFI'smom and aefegley'sFI'sdad
     Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    I agree with PP that would be the proper way to put someone on the program whether they come or not.....
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_what-is-the-proper-ettiquette-for-step-parents-in-the-program?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:10Discussion:cb5eb1e1-3170-4fd7-97da-b2cab7603212Post:78f026a2-9749-4182-b922-f66262a95012">Re: What is the proper ettiquette for step parents in the program?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Can you put "parents of the bride/groom"? You step-mom next to your father's name and your mom on a separate line like this: Parents of the Bride: stepmom andaefegley'sdad aefegley'smom (and stepdad?) Parents of the Groom aefegley'sFI'smom and aefegley'sFI'sdad
    Posted by sydaries[/QUOTE]

This is an appropriate way to list your parents.
  • Options
    My FI's family lives four hours away, so for a lot of the "extended" family, this will be the first time they meet my parents. So... I'm listing them. But somehow, my parents have managed to survive their 35 year marriage... somehow...
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_what-is-the-proper-ettiquette-for-step-parents-in-the-program?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:10Discussion:cb5eb1e1-3170-4fd7-97da-b2cab7603212Post:fe0f0dcd-db38-4ab7-abd2-3894d6f86c49">Re: What is the proper ettiquette for step parents in the program?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Why list your parents? Just list the wedding party.  Everyone should know who you and your parents are.....
    Posted by RetreadBride[/QUOTE]

Listing parents is part of the proper etiquette of a wedding program.

of course in some cases, maybe everyone does know that.  Doesn't matter, still should be listed.

But, I'd be shocked if most people could say that every guest knew both parent sets of the bride and the groom.  Our guest list includes neighors, high school friends, a former roommate, a former neigbhor, coworkers, college friends, parents, cousins, aunts, uncles, step-parents, significant others, Godparents....

There is no way my fiance's coworker knows my stepmother from my mother.  There is no way our neighbor Brenda knows my college friend Kate from my sister Carrie from my mother's partner Ruth.  Etc.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards