Honeymoon Discussions

Florida Keys Favorites

Hi Everyone,

My fiance and I are honeymooning in the Florida Keys from July 29-August 2. We will be staying in Islamorada, but have rented a car and are looking to spend a day in Key Largo, a day in Key West, and a day in Islamorada. We've been looking up different things to do/places to see online but it is pretty overwhelming!! Can anyone recommend their favorite shops, restaurants, attractions, activities, etc.? It doesn't have to be in just those 3 locations either, it can be anywhere in the Keys. We're just curious as to what YOU would considered to be the "best" of the best. Thanks in advance!!

Renee

Re: Florida Keys Favorites

• Kay Largo does not have your typical 'Keys' feel. It is quite commercial and doesn't loo much different than other US cities. Islamorada has my all time favoriate bar - Rum Runners. It looks like a tree house gazebo that hangs over the beach - super tropical and fun. John Penneycamp has alot of fun activities to do all in one place - snorkeling, kayaking, glass bottom boat tours, etc. Key West is soooo fun, quite a long drive so try to leave early - about 2.5 hours from Islamoroada but soo worth it. There is one main beach along the south end where the southern most point is, There is a sandbar of like 6" depth that is about 200-300 feet off shore - super fun. You shoudl head down Duval Street for lots of shopping, bars and eccentric stuff. I would suggest renting a scooter while you are down there as parking is a hassle and well....its just fun! Oh, and I love the Ernest Hemingway house there. But I love kitties - there is about 100 6 toes cats running around. Have fun!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We just got back from our third trip to kw. This time we did stop in key Largo for one night. My first impression of key largo was boring town that could be any shore town in the US. I do have two reviews for kw and three yrs worth of pics for KW in the link above my siggy pic. Hth and if you have any questions please feel free to ask.
  • My family was stationed in key west back in 04-05 we lived there for two years. Some must sees is southern most point its a intersiting spot. I agree key lime pie is deffently a must its the best. Jimmys Buffets restrant is there too on duval (sp?) street i suggest getting there early for dinner or lunch. No matter were you eat Conch fritters is another must sounds weird but yummy. Duval street is a very toursty place and is a good spot to vist.Beachs werent the best when i was there but there is a lot of charter fishing boats. Hemmingway's house is there and a nice spot to stop at i wanted to go see it and never did i regreat it. 

Last thing and maybe the most important thing i suggest parking your car down town and leaveing it all day while your there. The traffic is so bad and a pain to get around with the cars people walking bikes motor cycles mopeds and chickens ( yes chickens they run wild and you cant hit them) that its just better to walk. I hope yall have a good time down there its a good place to vist. 
  • very helpful imfomation. I want to go to florida, too. but not honeymoon. just travel.
  • Theater of the Sea is a really cool wildlife park in Islamorada. They rehabilitate a lot of injured sea animals. You can touch nurse sharks and see turtles, fish, alligators, etc.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • If you want to go to the beach for the while the best beach I saw was at Bahia Honda State Park.  They have concessions available and rentals so you can get chairs and umbrellas and etc. if you weren't able to bring them.  We also enjoyed the Dolphin Research Center in Marathon.  Both of these places will be between Islamorada and Key West.  You pretty much can't go wrong anywhere you stop to eat, even at a dive for a plate lunch!
    Whoever said it was supposed to be happily ever after is a big fat liar.
  • I agree that you should check out Better Than Sex on Key West. It's awesome and really romantic. We went last summer and didn't have reservations, we just had to wait about 15-20 minutes. There is a great restaurant called Kelly's Carribbean Bar& Grill that is the original Pan Am airlines headquarters that has good food and a fabulous happy hour with margaritas (if you like margaritas). Their Butterfly and Garden conservatory was beautiful and we also went on a snorkeling adventure with the company FURYcat. It was well worth it!!! Make sure you check out Mallory Square at sunset as well!! 

I saw somebody suggest Theater By the Sea on Islamorada. I agree!! I haven't been since I was a child, but I used to go every year while my parents went scuba diving! Great fun and memories. :) Hope this helps!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Awesome!! Thank you all so much!! :-)

Renee
  • Hi Renee! I saw that you went during the summer for your honeymoon, My Fiance and I are getting married next July 27th and we were wondering how the weather was while you were there... and the bugs too, I heard both can be pretty rough during the summer. Any advice would be helpful a we are planning to go to key west for our honeymoon.

Thanks,
    Amanda
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards