Wedding Ceremony & Reception Music Discussions

What's more important-- meaning of the song or the way it sounds?

I really like the instrumental piano version of OneRepublic's "Secrets" and am thinking about whether it would be appropriate to use for the bride's entrance. The song doesn't have anything to do with us as a couple, and the song's not even about love or relationships-- supposed to be something about not wanting to live a life of drama the way everyone expects him to, blah blah. Basically, it's a song about anguish. Anyway, I just love the sound of the music and think it's beautiful, espcially on the piano. If we list the song in the program, are we going to confuse any guests who know the song and think it's inappropriate or troubling?

Here's a good piano version of the song
And here's the actual radio version of the song and the lyrics

Re: What's more important-- meaning of the song or the way it sounds?

• I love that song. I think the sound is more important, honestly. It would be one thing if you had a vocalist singing it. I've heard of brides using "Bittersweet Symphony" and even instrumental versions of Metallica songs! So, I don't think anything is off limits really. If you think it sounds pretty, then go for it!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Love that song too! If it sounds good and you like it, then use it.  I am walking down to VSQ's version of Sweet Child O'Mine..I am in love with their version, plus growing up my dad played a lot of GnR...so both sound and meaning in my case. 

imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited January 2012
    VSQ's version s a great one to walk to-- here's my question to you-- is this just for the bride's processional? If so, are you just going to have someone fade out the music once you get to the alter? The song I love is over 3 1/2 minutes long. I don't want to use the song for the entire processional-- just mine.   Even if I waited a few seconds before actually starting to walk, there's still a good solid 2 minutes left
  • I am just walking in to that song, because I most likely am not having a WP (if that changes they would walk to something else).  We are just going to have it fade out once I make it to the alter because I think my song is something like 6 min long, I mean I can walk slow but not that slow!

• Since you're doing instrumental, I think the way it sounds is more important. If you were using the lyrics, I'd choose another song.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Good point about instrumental vs. lyrics. Another question-- do we have to list the name of the song in the program? It's called "Secrets" and I think it would totally raise questions. I know technically I have to, but can I just list the name of the artist or something?
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_first-dance_whats-important-meaning-of-song-way-sounds?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:29Discussion:cbd5a67d-a74c-4e92-b4a7-a7ccdb1bafe9Post:0de16864-bdce-475a-bacc-25142bf46ee9">Re: What's more important-- meaning of the song or the way it sounds?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Good point about instrumental vs. lyrics. Another question-- do we have to list the name of the song in the program? It's called "Secrets" and I think it would totally raise questions. I know technically I have to, but can I just list the name of the artist or something?
    Posted by blushingDCbride2012[/QUOTE]

Well even if you didn't list the title of the song, I am sure some of your guests will know it, so you really aren't hiding anything by not putting the title in there.  I would just put the title in and be done with it, or if it is going to worry you that much, I would probably look for another song.  Though I honestly doubt that people are going to read that much into it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards