Honeymoon Discussions
Options

For all the people who have been to hawaii!!

im so lost on finding a package for me and my FI to stay at two different islands in hawaii for a good price. i dont know where to start but  i do know we want to stay in maui and  ohau but dont know what places are nice to stay and are some what cheap. if anyone could help me please!!!

Re: For all the people who have been to hawaii!!

• Options
    I have been to Oahu and Maui, but also to Kauai and Lanai. Each island is great for its own reason, and Oahu and Maui especially have hotels in every budget range. If you are concerned about budget, you may even want to consider condo properties that have kitchens in them to help cut down on expenses while you are there. They can be just as nice, or nicer than the more budget friendly hotels. We stayed in a condo type resort in Kauai and saved a ton of money. The bulk of your cost will just be getting to Hawaii. I recommend checking out hotel reviews on tripadvisor or Expedia/Travelocity and then pricing some options out on those websites. Don't forget to do multi destination so you have interisland flights included. If you really feel lost, definitely contact a travel agent. They can help you choose a property based on your budget and needs and can price match what you find online.

• Options
    I've only been to Maui. We stayed in a condo in LaHaina. It's a pretty reasonably priced town. A more expensive option would be Wailea. 

Stay on the south side of the island. I heard the north shore is pretty rocky.

I bought one of the Frommer's travel guides and it was a HUGE help.
  • Options
    We are getting married on Maui and spending our honeymoon there. We are staying at 3 different hotels during our trip (one on the south side, one on the east side and one on the west side) so we can experience the whole island.

When we're on the south side we're staying at Makena Beach & Golf Resort. It's about 8 minutes from our ceremony location and it's $250 a night.

We're staying one night at Hotel hana. Their nightly rates can be as high as $1,000 if you want a seaside suite, but we're just getting a regular hotel room for $350. It's a bit pricey but we're not really interested in doing the 3 hour trip to Hana and then heading right back out the same day.

Then on the West side we're staying at the Ka'anapali beach resort. We paid $250 for a mid-grade room and if you mention that you're on your honeymoon when you book they will upgrade you when you arrive for free (based on availability)

HTH!
  • Options

Have you checked Overstock.com for deals?  They change every couple of days, but last week they had several really great hotel deals in Hawaii (I saw Oahu and Maui last week and the week before, but again, they change frequently).

If hotels are too expensive for your budget, I second the condo idea.  I stayed in a condo when I went to Maui.  It was in Kihei which is very close to Wailea.

Wedding Countdown Ticker weddingpreview
  • Options
    We booked our package to Maui on Travelocity.  Alot of people like the Hyatt or Sheraton in Maui if you are wanting a hotel.  The Hawaii forum on Trip Advisor is also a great resource for where to stay, things to do, etc.
  • Options
    mica178mica178 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    I suggest that you get used copies of Maui Revealed and Oahu Revealed.  They review accommodations on both islands based on cost.

Renting a condo is not a bad idea at all.  Some of them are recently updated.  It's great being able to keep breakfast food and snacks in the kitchen as a way of keeping costs down.
  • Options
    We stayed at the Aston Waikiki on Oahu and the Royal Lahaina on Maui.  They were both nice hotels and decent priced.  I'm not sure how everything was booked because FI planned that trip by himself (it was my college graduation present), but we had a great time.

I also highly recommend the "Revealed" books.  We used one on our most recent trip to the BI and it had great info in it.  We'll definitely pick one up the next time we go to Hawaii to the other islands.  Tripadvisor is also a great resource in finding good hotels and things to do.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    Frommers books were also helpful planning the trip, activities wise. We're pretty much doing their "Maui in one week" recommendations to the T. 
  • Options
    jenice95jenice95 member
    First Comment
    edited May 2011
    Are you a Costco member? They have multiple island travel deals with flight, hotel, and rental car (I think they are only missing the between island flight). www.costcotravel.com

Additionally, I second using Trip Advisor for reviews, in particular the forums section.

I see you are from VA- not sure what part but I've been getting alerts that flights have significantly decresed from DC. At one point they were $850 and I got an alert yesterday that they were $580 (for one stop!) for my travel dates in Sept. Not sure how close you are to booking but just a heads up.

I personally booked my travel through Expedia  and got a pretty good deal for flight, hotel (Ritz Carlton), and car for 9 nights. I considered the two islands you mentioned at first, got lazy in the planning :)

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    We booked through a TA (Liberty Travel) for this reason. We are also doing Maui and Oahu,but werent sure how to book ourselves with the flight to get from one to the other. Neither of us have ever been to HI so we werent sure where we wante to go, so our TA helped us with everything. And they price match if you find the trip for cheaper somewhere else. We are staying at the Hyatt regency in Maui for 8 nights and the Outrigger reef in Oahu for 3 nights. Im no sure what you consider "somewhat cheap" but we thought that it was a pretty good deal! GL!
    Photobucket Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards