California-San Diego

S.D. Reception....tight budget!

My guy and are on about a $5,000 budget. I am going to need some huge help figuring how the heck we are going to do this without going stir crazy. We were originally going to have a 2-yr engagement to allow more savings but my mother has bee diagnosed with cancer. We want to move the wedding up but now don't know what to do! Help ANYONE

Re: S.D. Reception....tight budget!

• Try an outdoor reception in a park. I've been looking into this. It's a little more work, but it costs less. If there's a park in your neighborhood it may even be free to use. Look for one with a lot of picnic tables and/or rent your own. The cheapest party rental place in San Diego that I've found is http://sandiegopartyrentals.com/.

Next is catering. Consider going for a casual reception (this will work well with being in the park with rented tables and chairs) and look for a less expensive caterer -- OR recruit some friends to barbecue! You may be able to ask your dad to help with this, and possibly your bridesmaids' dads, depending on how well you know them.

I don't know if you've found a dress yet, but look at http://www.marysbridal.com/. I'm having trouble finding a store anywhere near me, but they have a lot of beautiful gowns and they're the least expensive dresses I've seen anywhere.

Hope this helps! I have a tight budget too, so I've been researching :)
    And if you find something that works better, let me know! I'm still trying to find the best options for my own wedding.
  • I answered you on the budget board, but same advice - park, non-Saturday reception, non-dinner time reception, cut the guest list if possible, etc.
  • edited June 2012
    We are also looking at a $5,000 budget.  How many guests will you be having?  Our list is at about 145 and we're trying to cut that back and hope that we can get it to under 100. 

Some things we're doing to cut back on cost:

1. Check with all of your friends (post on Facebook) and see if you can find photographers, cake makers, DJs, etc. by either people you know or friends of friends.

2. We are considering making it an all adult event (so less guests)

3. Making my own party favors and centerpieces/decor.

4. We decided to do 2 Costco sheet cakes (they are $14.99-$19.99 each, I haven't
    priced them in a while) and just a mini wedding cake for just the 2 of us.

5. A morning to afternoon reception (brunch or lunch prices are much better than dinner).  We looked at this place...it's right on the harbor in Chula Vista in a nice restaurant, with a dance floor, and if they will do a wedding lunch (we were unable to talk to someone about this), then it's only about $15.95/person!  No rental fee, no addtional cost for tables, chairs, linens, plates or utensils.  http://southbayfishandgrill.com/banquets/

6. And my favorite...the dress.  www.sparrowbridal.com This is a new and gently used shop(I think all previously owned...the new ones are from brides that didn't end up getting married, I'm sure).  They also buy dresses, so you might be able to bring the dress back when you're done and get some of it back.  I found a dress I really liked for $220.  I ended up getting lucky and found one I liked more at a thrift store for $200.  Normally thrift stores have old, ugly, outdated gowns, but Sparrow only buys dresses that are 5 years old or newer...or 35 years or older for the vintage style.
  • I've had brunch at South Bay Fish and Grill! Excellent find!
  • Go to the court house!
    Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_california-san-diego_sd-receptiontight-budget?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:64Discussion:b36cb642-49d3-4542-accf-bf5508445bc7Post:81479fdf-abc7-42ad-8274-7fc664c91740">Re: S.D. Reception....tight budget!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Go to the court house!
    Posted by lvissers[/QUOTE]

Been there before... Totally different situation and man. Want the wedding and reception we both deserve.
  • Maybe you could do a mid-day reception in the park where you could serve appetizers instead of a full meal. Also, you could make you own cake and cupcakes to save money or order from Costco.

As for favors, you could order bulk items through The Dollar Tree or 99 cents stores. You could also do something as simple as chocolate molds in a decorative treat bag (decorated to your style).

As for dresses, I found some fairly reasonably priced ones through David's Bridal ranging 300-400.

Hope these ideas can help! I wish you luck :)
  • Farmers Market or Costco flowers? I second the Costco cake. Yummy!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards