Favors
Options

Can't decide - whoopie pies or chocolate?

I know I have a few months to decide, but I'm at a stand-still with most of my planning so I'm focusing my attention on the favors!

Option #1 - Red velvet "whoopie pies" (technically they're sandwich cookies but I like the term whoopie pies more.. sounds more fun :P)
Pro: they're are DELICIOUS and I've made them several times.
Con: they are... time consuming. The size I make them, it takes about 2 hrs total to make 16. I could make them smaller and bump that to 20 but... I will have about 70 guests.

Option #2:
These are just chocolates made in a mold (very cheap, like $5 for both molds on Amazon)
Pro: simple. No baking, quicker to make.
Con: They're, well, *just* chocolate. Also, DF wants a *beard* instead of mustache pop, because he has a full beard, not just a mustache - to which I explained A) they don't make beard molds, lol, and B) it's more about "man & woman" not his specific type of facial hair.

The cost for these isn't really a deciding factor; it's more about the value of my time vs. something more delicious and creative.
Thoughts?

Re: Can't decide - whoopie pies or chocolate?

• Options
    kristy888kristy888 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would vote for whoopie pies! They are unqiue, fun, creative and, yes, delicious! I think they would be a huge hit with your guests. To me, the chocolate is not as  "special".

But yes, the whoppie pies are very time consuming. This is a huge consideration. You may not want to be baking one or two days before your  wedding - that is a lot of stress. Could you make them a few weeks in advance and freeze them?  
  • Options
    Avion22Avion22 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I like both.   If the chocolate pops are easier, then go with them.  They are super-cute, even if they are "just chocolate".

By the way, no chocolate is "just chocolate", and I think ANY chocolate is a great favor idea:-)
    DSC_9275
  • Options
    unplainjaneunplainjane member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i like both. i would prefer whoopie pies only because i've never seen them as a favor before. but i am very concerned about the time consuming nature of them. i learned the closer it came to my wedding the busier i was with other DIY things. if you think you have time to make them and freeze them well in advance then go for it. but if not i think the chocolates will be great too.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_favors_cant-decide-whoopie-pies-chocolate?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:27Discussion:957bcfba-5e21-4a7e-ba81-db9b05f92fa4Post:f517eb6c-0170-41de-872b-63a4cae02835">Re: Can't decide - whoopie pies or chocolate?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I like both.   If the chocolate pops are easier, then go with them.  They are super-cute, even if they are "just chocolate". By the way, no chocolate is "just chocolate", and I think ANY chocolate is a great favor idea:-)
    Posted by Avion22[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>I've never made candy/chocolate before, I think I'll google around and see if there's a way I can "infuse" the chocolate with extra flavor. Hmm.</div><div>
    </div><div>I think the whoopie pies would be easier if I bought a mixer (I don't bake enough currently to justify buying one, but if I decide to make them it would be a *must*) but I think the biggest factor will be how busy I get as the date nears - especially since it just occured to me I'll be in school, as well! Ahh.

</div>
  • Options
    Avion22Avion22 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_favors_cant-decide-whoopie-pies-chocolate?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:27Discussion:957bcfba-5e21-4a7e-ba81-db9b05f92fa4Post:c4d97c92-2b18-4461-a778-f8bd9ef5b26e">Re: Can't decide - whoopie pies or chocolate?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Can't decide - whoopie pies or chocolate? : I've never made candy/chocolate before, I think I'll google around and see if there's a way I can "infuse" the chocolate with extra flavor. Hmm. I think the whoopie pies would be easier if I bought a mixer (I don't bake enough currently to justify buying one, but if I decide to make them it would be a *must*) but I think the biggest factor will be how busy I get as the date nears - especially since it just occured to me I'll be in school, as well! Ahh.
    Posted by kristiwashere[/QUOTE]

I've added mint and orange flavoring to chocolates before, and it tuns out pretty well.  You can also use almond extract, hazelnut flavoring, etc.   You just have to be careful about the ammounts because too much extra liquid will keep the chocolate from setting up right.     Probably worth a test batch or two:-)
    DSC_9275
  • Options
    lehc723lehc723 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I love whoopie pies, so I'd be hard pressed to not vote for those. :)
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Whoopie Pies would be great but do you really want to be spending all that time making atleast 4 batches (based on your numbers) just a few days before you wedding?

At least the chocolates you can make further in advance and they should be easier & less time consuming to make.
    I'm a Mrs & My Honeymoon Memory
    imageimage
    Wedding Items For Sale
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_favors_cant-decide-whoopie-pies-chocolate?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:27Discussion:957bcfba-5e21-4a7e-ba81-db9b05f92fa4Post:29bb53fb-9304-4636-bef2-148696f1ca45">Re: Can't decide - whoopie pies or chocolate?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Can't decide - whoopie pies or chocolate? : I've added mint and orange flavoring to chocolates before, and it tuns out pretty well.  You can also use almond extract, hazelnut flavoring, etc.   You just have to be careful about the ammounts because too much extra liquid will keep the chocolate from setting up right.     Probably worth a test batch or two:-)
    Posted by Avion22[/QUOTE]

<div>Yes, I guess I will have to make a few test batches and suffer through a few taste tests :P</div>
  • Options
    L&J2012L&J2012 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I love making whoopie pies! I recently made red velvet ones with almond buttercream frosting. Sooo good...

FMIL bought me this for my birthday. It is a lifesaver when it comes to making these! It takes 2-3 minutes for each set of 12 that you put in there and they're done super fast:

They're smaller than the normal whoopie pie, but I think they're a good favor size.
    Photobucket Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards