Military Brides
Options

Key West Wedding

Have any of you gotten married in Key West or, more specifically, NAS Key West? I've just started looking at venues and while we were originally thinking Caribbean, one of my bridesmaids asked me to consider domestic beach weddings so it's more affordable for those traveling to attend (everyone including the bride and groom). San Diego is out as we both live here and we want the wedding to be smaller rather than large and Boston is out for the same reason. Now I'mm considering a few beaches in FL. Thoughts?

Many thanks from a future Navy wife!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Key West Wedding

• Options
    calindicalindi member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Check out the South Florida local page.  I'm live in Miami, but have never been to Key West so I'm unable to give any opinions.  I would suggest you check out Islamorada - Key West will require a 4 hour drive from Miami, so it would be perhaps a little difficult for your guests (or they'd fly into Key West, which is a small airport and thus negates the "cheaper" reason).  Islamorada is only about 2 hour drive from Miami, so a bit more reasonable, and it's incredibly beautiful!

Anniversary

• Options
    VanessaCWVanessaCW member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh, thanks! I'm still getting settled here so I hadn't even thought about the S. FL board! :) Of course, after reading several posts there, now I'm thinking about going with my birthplace in Sarasota. *sigh* I need to narrow this down!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011

Vanessa, I am getting married near sarasota ( my parents live there during the winter).  There are LOTs of great places (which im surey ou know about being from there) that are affordable, and flying into Tampa isn't too expensive.  We are getting married on Anna Maria Island.  Consider looking into that if you want a beach wedding but want it to be more convient. 

Good Luck!

• Options
    calindicalindi member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You'll be okay!  If it's about cost, check out the cost of flights to the various beaches you're considering, and the cost of hotel.

I'm a big fan of Islamorada, and have seen some GORGEOUS weddings there (there's one on Four Weddings a few months ago that I just wanted to steal and copy).  It's driving distance from Miami, and the hotels aren't too expensive typically.  Also, you don't have to pay exhorbitant prices like Miami or Key West.

Another city you could consider with a gorgeous beach and easy access is Naples.

Also, if you were originally considering the Caribbean, it might actually work out being cheaper in the long run.  Flights aren't considerably more expensive to the Caribbean than to Miami (at least not to Jamaica and Dominican Republic - a few of the smaller islands are more expensive).  And the hotels will be MUCH cheaper on average, often all-inclusive so people can pay package prices and save money (compared to eating out in the US).  Consider an all-inclusive in Jamaica, DR, or Puerto Rico (perhaps your best option - people wouldn't even need passports!).  Your wedding costs will likely be far less, and the cost of travel will be similar.

Anniversary

• Options
    VanessaCWVanessaCW member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks ladies!

After weeks of research and quotes and input form family and friends, we decided last night to get married on the beach in San Diego. The wedding will be a little bigger than a destination wedding but I'm totally okay with that (the budget, however, is going to suffer). I put a hold on our destination at NAS North Island on Coronado today and this weekend we'll look over all the options to decide if we're having a 75 or 100 guest wedding. Fun stuff! I'm just so relieved I have the location down...now to work on the save the dates...Anyone have any cute ideas for doing this on a budget? :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards