Pre-wedding Parties
Options

Busy wedding week

So I was talking to my sister my MOH and since a majority of my guest have to fly in for the wedding that it would be best to do the bridal shower,  Bachlorette party, rehercle dinner and weeding in less that a week. Our wedding is on a saturday and then the rehercle dinner will be friday night. Which i think we may do a bachlorette party on thursday night and maybe the shower earlyer that day for like lunch. 

Do yall think this is to much? We want to pick days way head of time so that i can let the people who need/ want to be at the other events know about them so that they can fly in early and buy plan tickets and book hotels. Also since my sister is out of state i want her plently of time to plan and get things together. Any advice would be great am worried that it would be to much for my mom and grandmas ( not that they would go to the bachlorette party). 

Re: Busy wedding week

• Options
    I think this a good idea in theory but a lot to ask of your guests.  Bachelorette parties and bridal showers shouldn't feel compulsory - which may be the sense your guests get if you are trying to cram everything together in one week.  And unless you were a sibling or my absolutely best friend, I wouldn't be able miss work for a bridal shower and a bachelorette party.

It would be better, as Stage suggested, to have the hostess for the shower and bachelorette check with the VIP guests about doing this or getting together for a separate weeknd a month or two before the wedding.  You may find it will be easier - for you, for your sister, for the guests - to have a smaller shower and bach party with those who are local or who can come while you have the time to really enjoy those get togethers.  You don't want to be exhausted on your wedding day.
    Anniversary

• Options
    The reason for it beening in one week is because its not like my family can just drive up for a weekend. There between 12- 25 hours away so its a flight each time they come here. And i want to keep expensives down. I'm already picking my dress while i go home for christmas so i can be with my mom and sister. I'm going to talk to my mom sister and family before making this decision. I dont want to miss out on anything and i dont want my family to miss out on any of it too. I dont know maybe am getting ahead of myself. I just want an outline of days and events so i know. 
  • Options
    I think this may be too much. I understand people are far away, but that doesn't necessarily mean they will be able to take off a large chunk of time (probably from work) to attend a 4 day affair. Plus you will be so exhausted.

The day after my b-party I was pretty much worthless. Even if you choose to not drink a lot, you might be out very late and then you want to run around on Friday plus have your rehearsal and RD? I think you will just wear yourself out by your wedding on Saturday. Plus that's a lot of events to ask people to attend in a small amount of time, not to mention gift-giving events. It's a lot easier for me to spread out payment for gifts over a few months, rather than have to buy 2-3 gifts within the span of a couple days.

I would really re-think this. Maybe have shower/b-party in one weekend a month or two before. If not everyone can make it, they can't. Not everyone was able to make it to mine. Then again, they may surprise you and be able to come.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Vacation
  • Options
    I do think this is a lot. I would maybe try to move the shower out a couple of months. Not everyone is going to be able to make it to every thing- it's just not possible in most cases.

In my case, I was the one that really lived out of town (I live in MA but wedding/related events were in Indiana). I had to travel for planning anyway, but they had my shower about a month before the wedding. I then came back out a week before the wedding, which is when they had the bachelorette party. Even then, my friend from Canada was flying down for the bachelorette party, then flying down again a week later for the wedding. In that case, it did not matter how spaced out they were, she couldn't get a week off.

I think it's a good idea to plan it ahead, but don't stress if people can't make it. You will never find a perfect schedule within the next year to accomodate everyone! But the more notice you give, the more likely people will be able to take time off and make travel arrangements.
    imageAnniversary
  • Options
    LDubHawksFanLDubHawksFan member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited September 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_pre-wedding-parties_busy-wedding-week?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:32Discussion:ec4a3be2-e788-461b-9a43-fea6ee099af3Post:9d63038e-da79-4c7d-acd5-13bd408cc615">Re: Busy wedding week</a>:
    [QUOTE]The reason for it beening in one week is because its not like my family can just drive up for a weekend. There between 12- 25 hours away so its a flight each time they come here. And i want to keep expensives down. I'm already picking my dress while i go home for christmas so i can be with my mom and sister. I'm going to talk to my mom sister and family before making this decision. I dont want to miss out on anything and i dont want my family to miss out on any of it too. I dont know maybe am getting ahead of myself. I just want an outline of days and events so i know. 
    Posted by kelleywill[/QUOTE]

Honestly, I think it is too much.  You are asking your family all to fly or drive Wed night.  Plus, another gift giving event right before the wedding is kind of taxing on those guests.  I would probably decline the shower invite as a guest.
    Since it sounds like your family all lives somewhere else, you might do like I did and go home for a shower and bachelorette party.  It was unreasonable for my BMs and family to fly out for another weekend other than my wedding, so I did the flying.  It was fun!  And I would hate having wedding stuff the next day.  Also, depending on when your wedding is, you could plan it around another reason to be home.  For example, I went home to go dress shopping with my mom while home for my grandparents anniversary party in Feb.  Then I went home for Labor Day weekend and we did the shower, party, and a baby shower for my BM.

• Options
    Are your family all located in one area? You may want to consider you going to them for one of the events, rather than always having them come to you.  As most have already said, that is a lot to do in one week!  You want to enjoy this time not stress out and over book your time.  especially the week of the wedding-- you will have other things to do.  Whoever is hosting the parties should host it where it works for them, and if people come great, but if people can't, it happens. 
    I have been to events where they combined the bridal shower with the bachelorette party and that worked well for out of town guests that wanted to be there.  We had a luncheon for the bridal shower and then relaxed a bit before going out that night for the bachelorette party. 

Anniversary
  • Options
    LDubHawksFanLDubHawksFan member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited September 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_pre-wedding-parties_busy-wedding-week?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:32Discussion:ec4a3be2-e788-461b-9a43-fea6ee099af3Post:9d63038e-da79-4c7d-acd5-13bd408cc615">Re: Busy wedding week</a>:
    [QUOTE]The reason for it beening in one week is because its not like my family can just drive up for a weekend. There between 12- 25 hours away so its a flight each time they come here. And i want to keep expensives down. I'm already picking my dress while i go home for christmas so i can be with my mom and sister. I'm going to talk to my mom sister and family before making this decision. I dont want to miss out on anything and i dont want my family to miss out on any of it too. I dont know maybe am getting ahead of myself. I just want an outline of days and events so i know. 
    Posted by kelleywill[/QUOTE]

Oh and since those parties cost a lot for your hosts and for the guests, that is a lot financially to ask of them.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards