Wedding Woes

ha!

recall this.

another response:

Dear Amy: "J" wrote to you that she loves to ask strangers about their race.Should we feel free to indulge our curiosity by approaching strangers and asking their gender? What about their sexual orientation? Age? Marital status? Religion?Why not if they're pregnant or HIV positive?One way to test whether satisfying one's curiosity is rude is to consider what would happen if the tables were turned. Imagine a white person's indignant response if a nonwhite stranger asked his or her race.Your advice to the always-curious J should have been, "Mind your own business."And the polite response when strangers ask about your race? "Human."— Barbara

Re: ha!

• hmonkeyhmonkey member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i think the next time someone asks me "what" i am, i'm just going to ask them how much money they make.
  • edited December 2011
    Do white people ever get asked if they are white? Interesting.

Whte People, what says you?
  • ReturnOfKuusReturnOfKuus member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    *sigh*

Yes.
    edited December 2011
    Only by blonde women, though.  Blonde women seem to have trouble telling the difference between dark-haired white people and Southeast Asians, for some reason.
  • HeffalumpHeffalump member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_ha-22?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:47Discussion:f238ea08-4d51-4ad6-8f9b-e18e67a7d700Post:77f12592-ca23-4a7b-97e6-266381ee32f2">Re: ha!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Do white people ever get asked if they are white? Interesting. Whte People, what says you?
    Posted by NOLABridesmaid[/QUOTE]
    I've never been asked, probably because it's really obvious in my case.  If I were any whiter it would probably hurt your eyes to look at me.
  • edited December 2011
    Kuus, really?

I'll add this to my "the more you know" file.
    edited December 2011
    It's a weird phenomenon.  I look no parts anything but white.
  • edited December 2011
    I've gotten asked but more in a "so where is your family from, Whitey?" sort of way. Never a "what are you?" way.
  • HeffalumpHeffalump member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_ha-22?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:47Discussion:f238ea08-4d51-4ad6-8f9b-e18e67a7d700Post:3632b7d4-a0e0-488b-aa37-c30f3a80dadf">Re: ha!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Only by blonde women, though.  Blonde women seem to have trouble telling the difference between dark-haired white people and Southeast Asians, for some reason.
    Posted by ReturnOfKuus[/QUOTE]
    FIL has trouble telling the difference between black people and south Asians.  And Italians and black people.  He still thinks DH's Italian BFF (who was his best man) is black.  He's not even that dark, his family is from Northern Italy.  But FIL thinks my Sri Lankan friend (who was also in our wedding) is black, too.  Shrug.
  • **O-Face****O-Face** member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Wow.  Apparently I am decidedly white.

Oh, and I've never asked anyone "what" they were.  How is it relevant?

I put these questions up there with "when are you having kids!?!?".  F*ck.
  • zsazsa-stlzsazsa-stl member
    First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    I have never been asked if I am white before, but probably because I am as white as can be.

I just a friendly gal looking for options.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • hmonkeyhmonkey member
    edited December 2011
    when dh and i had our bet about the % of asians in our building, he pointed out a woman and said, "asian!" and tried to mark it down in his column.  lady was hispanic.
  • 6fsn6fsn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I've never been asked and I've never asked. 
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_ha-22?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:47Discussion:f238ea08-4d51-4ad6-8f9b-e18e67a7d700Post:cc5bbbe4-b5f1-4812-9c44-b0570b0d1303">Re: ha!</a>:
    [QUOTE]when dh and i had our bet about the % of asians in our building, he pointed out a woman and said, "asian!" and tried to mark it down in his column.  lady was hispanic.
    Posted by hmonkey[/QUOTE]
    The mental image I get from this is hilarious!
  • tawillerstawillers member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_ha-22?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:47Discussion:f238ea08-4d51-4ad6-8f9b-e18e67a7d700Post:13f761d2-211a-4685-9099-4e662df0ccb6">Re: ha!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I've never been asked and I've never asked. 
    Posted by 6fsn[/QUOTE]

This.
  • edited December 2011
    People would ask if I'm biracial because they were confused by my white last name and I don't have a very dark complexion.
    MIL is thrilled you're joining the family. Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards