40-Plus Brides

Potluck Reception

I and my fiance' are wanting to find a place that will allow US, to bring in OUR own food.  Receptions are so expensive, because of the catering, linens, utensils, etc.,  we can't afford that.  We live in Houston, TX.  Our wedding isn't til Feb. 2016, so we have plenty of time, does anyone have any ideas?

Re: Potluck Reception

• Save money in the next 4 years.
  • If you save $5 every week, you'll have more than $1000 by the time you get married. That way you can host your guests properly. 
  • Take your time and check around. Even when you do it yourself, you will still need to purchase everything yourself. So save. We found a hall that only is the venue. Our deli is making our food for a reasonable price, we are having a buffet, and all our necessities are coming from The WEBstaurant Store. This is saving us a ton of money. I am not sure whether a potluck reception will work. If your guest list is extremely small, it may work, but people may also feel offended.

Anniversary
  •    You can try checking out local churches.  My church let us bring our own food.  We made all of our food for out wedding.  We saved a ton this way.  My husband and I both love to cook though.
       Instead of a rehearsal dinner, we had what we called a Sweetheart Picnic at a nice, local park.  We made it potluck and it was great! It gave everyone a chance to visit more.  Some of my relatives came far from out of town so they liked having more family time.
    Katie
  • Be careful with this. Many receptions sites may let you bring food in, but it has to be from a licensed kitchen. If this is truly the route you want to take then my suggestions would either be a park or a church that has a fellowship type of meeting area.

I have a feeling you might get a bunch of grief over this issue because many people say it's poor etiquette to make your guests bring in their own food.
    Halloween
  • Thanks y'all,  I never thought about all the things, that your post have brought to my attention. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards