Wedding Etiquette Forum

Selling Centerpieces for Honeymoon Funds

I know, I know, it sounds bad. However it's not too much different than a money dance! We have these awesome flower box centerpieces along with mercury glass potted succulent plants on each of the tables and I don't really want to be stuck with them post-wedding.

Can we have the DJ announce that if anyone looooves the centerpieces and wants to help the couple (us) put money towards our honeymoon by purchasing one, they can? Is it completely tacky?

I guess the other option is selling the stuff on ebay, however it's more of a hassle.

Would appreciate opinion!
Thanks!

Re: Selling Centerpieces for Honeymoon Funds

• Yes.  It's completely tacky.
    my read shelf:
    Amber Lea's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf) imageTell Me A Tale
  • I would not want to sell anything at my wedding. I would feel weird as a guest being asked to purchase these pieces as well.
  • MUD

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • it is normal in my area to give the guests the centerpieces (like take it if you want it).  I would definitely NOT sell them to my guests.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers in progess... Planning bio
  • what is wrong with people today?

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Agreed - completely tacky.
  • BAD idea. It is very tacky to sell things at your wedding. The money dance is tacky, but in some families it is a big tradition so people don't judge it. Now this is something I think most people would judge.

Planning Bio
    Married 9/15/11

*This is Not Legal Advice*
  • Also, it is only like the money dance if you're only charging about a dollar for the centerpieces.  But I don't think you'll make much if you do that.
  • NebbNebb member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    Im genuinly curious how much you think someone is going to pay for a centerpiece that it would make any significant income towards a honeymoon?
  • Yuck. Why would you want your wedding to be a marketplace?
    Baby Birthday Ticker
    Baby #2: Surprise BFP 9.19.12, EDD 5.24.13, natural m/c 10.19.13 at 9w
  • Most people give their centerpieces away... not sell them. Just don't do it.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_selling-centerpieces-honeymoon-funds?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:6df83d07-e63c-4b5d-ad14-7374ce546c88Post:4ae40e9a-26d4-40fb-91e6-924df5b7f9de">Re: Selling Centerpieces for Honeymoon Funds</a>:
    [QUOTE]Im genuinly curious how much you think someone is going to pay for a centerpiece that it would make any significant income towards a honeymoon?
    Posted by Nebb[/QUOTE]

TEN DOLLAR IS TEN DOLLARS NEBB! DON'T HATE!
  • This is not a good idea.  Please don't do this at your wedding.
    Updated 1/17/11 imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • I would never ask my guests to buy my centerpieces so that I could have a HM. Very tacky.

Anniversary [center]My Chart[/center] Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Selling anything at the wedding is bad.
  • I love this idea! You should bring a change of clothes to the wedding too so you can sell your dress at the end of the night. I bet if you catch people before the booze wears off, you could make bank on it. Better yet, find whoever caught your bouquet and make her an offer she can't refuse.

Taco cat: Always a palindrome. ALWAYS, okay J&K?

"cool......insult my size 2 body or my natural brown hair...or the fact that my parents own a country club, I have no budget for a wedding, and I have horses. I really dont care. Its better then having roots." ~ futurepivko
  •  aIn Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_selling-centerpieces-honeymoon-funds?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:6df83d07-e63c-4b5d-ad14-7374ce546c88Post:5ff55795-6352-4ea2-9674-53f356b5ea57">Selling Centerpieces for Honeymoon Funds</a>:
    [QUOTE]I know, I know, it sounds bad. However it's not too much different than a money dance! We have these awesome flower box centerpieces along with mercury glass potted succulent plants on each of the tables and I don't really want to be stuck with them post-wedding. Can we have the DJ announce that if anyone looooves the centerpieces and wants to help the couple (us) put money towards our honeymoon by purchasing one, they can? Is it completely tacky? I guess the other option is selling the stuff on ebay, however it's more of a hassle. Would appreciate opinion! Thanks!
    Posted by erikac0401[/QUOTE]
    The Bee Hive Est. June 30, 2007
    "So I sing a song of love, Julia"

BFAR:We Defined Our Own Success!

• a) not your guests' responsibility to fund your honeymoon
    b) lots of things in life are a "hassle".  Sell them when you get back
    The Bee Hive Est. June 30, 2007
    "So I sing a song of love, Julia"

BFAR:We Defined Our Own Success!

• dont do it.

try selling them on craigslist or ebay after your wedding. craigslist is simple & easy.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_selling-centerpieces-honeymoon-funds?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:6df83d07-e63c-4b5d-ad14-7374ce546c88Post:b880ad17-9ff2-49e3-bba1-6b4b8043d92d">Re: Selling Centerpieces for Honeymoon Funds</a>:
    [QUOTE]Selling anything at the wedding is bad.
    Posted by banana468[/QUOTE]

<div>Sound advice for a myriad of questions.</div>
  • If I was at a wedding where this was done I would take my gift back. Totally tacky!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Have your MOH and BM stand at the bathroom doors too: $1 to stand $2 to sit, once people get drinking you could probably pay for your honeymoon right there...
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_selling-centerpieces-honeymoon-funds?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:6df83d07-e63c-4b5d-ad14-7374ce546c88Post:5f83e5e5-9349-41fc-9702-6e3a40695b37">Re: Selling Centerpieces for Honeymoon Funds</a>:
    [QUOTE]Have your MOH and BM stand at the bathroom doors too: $1 to stand $2 to sit, once people get drinking you could probably pay for your honeymoon right there...
    Posted by karbar42[/QUOTE]

So, since I have an aversion to sitting on public toilet seats and hover, I would have to pay $1.50? Shitballs, why didn't I think of that? I could have made enough money off my family alone to pay for an extra day of skiing in St. Moritz!
  • I have an even better idea.  How about you auction off your bouquet instead of doing a toss?  You could do the same with your garter.  I'm sure you'd make big bucks.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_selling-centerpieces-honeymoon-funds?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:6df83d07-e63c-4b5d-ad14-7374ce546c88Post:f42b5d14-a725-4e8b-b1b3-583246f290aa">Re: Selling Centerpieces for Honeymoon Funds</a>:
    [QUOTE]I have an even better idea.  How about you auction off your bouquet instead of doing a toss?  You could do the same with your garter.  I'm sure you'd make big bucks.
    Posted by Phoeber[/QUOTE]

Great idea. I actually auctioned off my bra to every one after the cake cutting and made $12.55. It was awesome!!
  • It's your wedding, not a yard sale. :) Sell them on e-bay or craigslist afterwards or if you really don't want them around give them away. We gave our centerpieces away at our wedding and every single one was taken save the one on our sweetheart table. Or, create a "for sale bio" on the knot after your wedding and see if anyone wants them here.
  • Yikes I missed some good ones today! 
  • Way late, but I went to a wedding where this happened.  Worse, it was the absolute worst way ever.  The couple asked everyone to empty their pockets and put the money on the center of the table.  One person was elected to "dance" for the bride and groom to give them the money, and if that person did so, they got the centerpiece.  It was absolutely horrible.  I know the rule is "pics or it didn't happen", and I don't have pictures...but it did happen.  Terrible.

Books read in 2012: 21/50

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• tacky. Try selling them online after the wedding....at the wedding is not a good idea.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards