Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

aisle runner vs oil lanterns vs flowers...ahhhh

Omg cant decide if its gonna ge overwhelming! Help! Our venue is an old steel mill built in 1862, in what they call a stone hall. The walls are all stone, old chandeliers, fireplace. We are doing a vintage theme, having a lace aisle runner and the oil type lanterns that will be lit right before i walk down the aisle, so now i cant decide if the flowers will be too much, i know flower girls are kinda a tradition but fi and i think all of that surronding the aisle will be overwhelming. Any thought on this? Thanks girls

Re: aisle runner vs oil lanterns vs flowers...ahhhh

• I think flower petals might be too much if you have a lace aisle runner. Maybe you could have thrower girls carry pomanders (flower balls) instead of tossing petals?
    DSC_9275
  • Where will the oil lanterns be and do they actually have flame? Because I have the feeling tossing petals near them might be a serious fire hazard if they're actually oil and not electric.
  • What about having the flower girls carry laterns with battery operated candles in them?

• In Response to Re:aisle runner vs oil lanterns vs flowers...ahhhh:[QUOTE]Where will the oil lanterns be and do they actually have flame? Because I have the feeling tossing petals near them might be a serious fire hazard if they're actually oil and not electric. Posted by artbyallie[/QUOTE]

the lanterns will be lined up along the aisle, not right next to eachother but 7 on each side and spread out. And yes they will have an actual flame. So ya maybe petals wouldnt be such a great idea
  • In Response to Re:aisle runner vs oil lanterns vs flowers...ahhhh:[QUOTE]What about having the flower girls carry laterns with battery operated candles in them? Posted by Erikan73[/QUOTE]

both the flower girls are toddlers, our daughter she will be three and the other will be two, so lanterns might be too heavy for them to carry. Also, the oil lanters belong to the venue and our included in the rental. If they were older that would be a great idea
  • No fires.  I would worry someone would kick one and mrs olearys cow would burn chicago down again.     Does your venue even allow the lanterns?
  • In Response to Re:aisle runner vs oil lanterns vs flowers...ahhhh:[QUOTE]No fires.nbsp; I would worry someone would kick one and mrs olearys cow would burn chicago down again.nbsp;nbsp;nbsp;nbsp; Does your venue even allow the lanterns? Posted by theelusive1[/QUOTE]

yes they do, they own them, it was the event corrdinators idea. Im not putting the chairs next to the lanterns and i have a ribbon across the end of the aisle so no one can walk down it but me. And my moh but they wont be lit untill i walk down.
  • I like the pomander ideas, they wouldn't overwhelm the aisle.  Plus, the girls wouldn't be throwing petals into the lanterns!
    Photobucket Anniversary
  • Holy fire hazard. Nevermind the flower petals what happens if your dress or veil comes in contact with the lanterns on the floor?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • So before you go down the aisle someone has to run down there lighting 14 oil lanterns?  Honestly, with a lace runner adding enough detail, i'd just skip them and the fire risk that comes with them.
  • Ok wow...first let me say im not being a female dog about this, im saying this in the most respectful tone. I didnt ask about fire hazard i asked about flowers and overwheming, one person mentioned fire and i agreed with her. Next, i already have plans in place for fire hazard. The chairs are not near the aisle, they start at the end of the room and make half circles on each side, there isnt a way people can kick them over. My dress or my veil is not long enough to get caught on anything. I cant wear heels with my dress, even though i want to, thats because its short enough to just wear flats. I bought it at a second hand store not davids bridal with a huge train. Im making my veil and it wont be long. Now, the person lighting them, thats a very good point and i will have to figure that out, but he or she wont be running or skipping or cantering down the aisle to do it. Next ive said it twice already, the venue allows them, they own them, it was the event corridators idea and she showed me and i like the idea. If it was a fire hazard at all i would have asked about that. So im not being a you know what about it. Im just trying to explain it, no attitude over here
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards